• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
S2 ep 8
Alright, that rescue fight was pretty awesome to watch. Frankly, it was more exciting than the tourney bout as our little shadow ninja was playing up "I take my job seriously" spiel so the context felt as high stakes as this show can probably get even if the audience expected the heroes to win.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok this was one of the strongest episodes so far. The fights were decently good. Kirin's sword move would have been much better if she actually sliced the dude in half.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice, they concluded the fight. I knew it would eventually had to end so concluding it this episode made sense considering there's also a sub-plot that needs more focus. (already building up on that after the credit song)

Ayato and Julis' win was rather predictable but imo, it's still a lot better than the semi-final fight. Hope to see more of Sylvia for rest of the season. (oh that little wink LOL)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
s2 ep9
The Festa comes to a close, but that isn't the end of the story for the season just yet.

There is much posturing in the shadows with the usual suspects and hopefully the action comes to a head besides those in power being overly vague with there poker faces.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Duplicitous bastards. Duplicitous bastards everywhere. I love it. If this anime had been doing this all along it would have had much higher ratings and popularity.

You would think Ayato could ask Julis for just one kiss, at least. She wouldn't say no.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Where was Julis during the ceremony? And I know Julis wasn't present in many of the scenes, but somehow I felt like Julis wasn't getting recognition for winning the festa. Everyone was just congratulating Ayato.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Where was Julis during the ceremony? And I know Julis wasn't present in many of the scenes, but somehow I felt like Julis wasn't getting recognition for winning the festa. Everyone was just congratulating Ayato.

She was answering questions for the police, because of Flora's abduction. That's why, when she met up with them later, he asked if they were done.

I'd assume that, since Flora is her countryman and friend, and, given that Flora is 10, Julis is likely the closest thing to a legal guardian that she has there, Julis had to be there. Plus, really, Ayato was the one who won it for them, so if one of them had to answer questions for the police, and one stay for the ceremony, it fits that it was Ayato staying.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 : Episode 10

Okay... So there's two episodes left, with no 3rd season mentioned (as of yet). They still haven't got any closer to finishing the main Ayato sister storyline and now they've added another festa arc... It's just a bit of a shambles.

Did anyone notice Flora's voice changing from really high to normal and Kirin's seemed off a bit. I also found it funny that Nao Toyama voiced two characters in the same scene without changing her tone whatsoever.

The last 5 minutes was all over the place. They fight a Chimera and an old geezer with a tash is suddenly a new villain from out of nowhere. If it wasn't for some Claudia screen time, this episode would have totally been a stinker.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
For those who read the LN, do we still have Sylvia in the anime?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11:

Geez, Orphelia is a powerhouse. I doubt she showed her true powers in that brief fight.

I wonder how much we'll learn about her with just one more episode left? The teasing of the festival though. Also, I got laughs about the marriage conversation. Julis' bro teasing is priceless. Just imagine how Saya and Kirin would of reacted if they heard that Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
s2 Ep 11
That was a great set up for Ophelia, even if the season is effectively over and we may or may not see a Third season that was a spot on method to set up a rival character.

The other nice part is this was a Julis episode, she was presented as the main character where Ayato effectively was "the chick".
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Claudia useful for something. Unpossible.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Series finale:

Hmm, this episode felt more like an advertisement. Quite frankly, I'm underwhelmed especially with the storytelling about Ophelia and Julis' background story (and the experimentation). Just the way it's used to conclude the show with the Festa teasing leaves everything rather open ended unless it gets another season.

The action was okay I guess..at least Saya got some screen time but definitely not impressed with the finale.

Although by technical standards, I have to admit that this season had quite a decent soundtrack.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
The obvious problem is that the narrative concludes on what should be the beginning of a season's worth of an arc.

For what we got in the second season it was "just ok", I was entertained but there is no doubt substance was lacking.

Julis certainly by the end of the second season has become a comparatively more complete character than our dull male lead, the rest of the lead girls are enjoyable but simply did not have enough use of there screen time as usually they were between some sort of event.

As a magical academy adaptation, it is far from the worst but certainly not something to be on the top of the list to recommend to friends.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess I've seen worse. We get the standard "read the light novels" ending, perhaps even a bit worse than usual since so many plot threads are left hanging. But yeah like FenixFiesta, I found the show entertaining enough to keep watching, but overall it was unimpressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12