• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Manga Focuses on 29-Year-Old Women Drinking Beer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
CastielFanGirl20 wrote:
Can't wait to watch the Anime. Very Happy

...if it will get an anime adaptation, that is.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
it's completely derivative of Neon Genesis Evangelion

Interesting. I've not seen NGE, but you've made me interested in it. Didn't know it was just about some drinking buddies! Laughing
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
I like how the article states (multiple times) that the name of the manga is "Nomu Joshi" when "Nomi Joshi" is clearly written on the cover in hiragana (and romanized in English...).

Good catch. This has been corrected.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

And, just judging from the character sketches, seems like only Yuki is definitely in a relationship, and has kids. Michiko's sketch seems to show 3 co-workers...and possibly her parents and younger sister. Misono's is hard to judge, as that could just be her boss or boyfriend.

Correct. The man in Misono's sketch is her boss.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott, Misato is 29 (at least in the original Eva).
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Sure, we get adult women, but hanging around drinking all the time? Sounds like it could be another anime short series. Also, nothing wrong with anime usually having young protagonists if it is some kind of an adventure, a growing up story, etc. I just hope this show has more than just women discussing adult issues. Frankly, adult issues bore me. There is nothing magical or special about it. It is actually not that rare a setup in many seinen food/slice of life manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If Nomi Joshi were to become an anime show one day, I hope the adaptation won't focus too much on the alcohol...

But that would be the whole point. They could discuss different types of beer, and it'd be great to see anime where grownups are drinking IPAs, Stouts, Porters, etc rather than the typical anime foamy glass.

Quite intrigued by the manga, and if it got an anime, that'd be perfection. More shows with grownups please!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

When you notice no one is asking for your ID when you buy alcohol, you'll realise no one cares about your age when you're drinking it either,

They hardly card ID age in Japan (instead they actually take issue with being seen not old enough to be buying alcohol), and also just buy alcohol in vending machines. Think of it as early training nomikai for salaryman life. There's no pressure not to drink neither.

Shippoyasha wrote:

Also, nothing wrong with anime usually having young protagonists if it is some kind of an adventure, a growing up story, etc.

Though anime is almost always like that....... What if Hollywood is almost always like that, how many would watch........ What if libraries are almost always YA, how many would use it.......
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
^

I'm still pretty open to adult stories in anime though I think the reason why adult characters are kept from being in adventures is because the culture itself sees adventure as something more for youngsters.

I still do hope that this show is not another 5 minute short anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
^
I'm still pretty open to adult stories in anime though I think the reason why adult characters are kept from being in adventures is because the culture itself sees adventure as something more for youngsters.

That's a good point - adult life in Japanese society tends to be rigid. But it highlights those adult characters bucking the trend that gets iconic status, e.g. Lupin III.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

And, just judging from the character sketches, seems like only Yuki is definitely in a relationship, and has kids. Michiko's sketch seems to show 3 co-workers...and possibly her parents and younger sister. Misono's is hard to judge, as that could just be her boss or boyfriend.

Correct. The man in Misono's sketch is her boss.

Ah, thanks for clearing that one up for me.

So, only one is definitely in a relationship. I do wonder how these women know each other. Anyway, not something to really ponder...unless we get an anime or (highly unlikely) the manga gets licensed. Laughing
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish beer didn't make me pee so much. I will definitely be checking out this manga.
Anime Hero25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a driner but doesn't too much beer lead to pot bellies Sad
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Looks fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3