• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
^I didn't watch it. Always sort of meant to but never got around to actually doing it whoops. But since the reviews indicated this sequel could be watched without prior knowledge of the original I gave it a go. Of course, all the winks at the original are completely missed on me, but as far as story and characters and even the giant centipede monsters, nothing really drew my attention in this one.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
Well, Valkyrie Drive wins the contest of best magical highschool anime. The others can just be straight up cancelled, no one will miss them.

That sure was some ecchi. I hope it only goes up from here once we see Rain and Lady J get down to business, as well as the milf nee-san voiced by Belldandy. It's also some hardcore yuri action, not the light tiptoe-around-the-subject like pretty much everything else.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Re: straight harem series, these are just the ones I've seen:[...]

I'm pretty sure that Shay Guy was talking about what Lynzee described as the "single guy transfers to former all-girl school" schtick, not "straight harem" series in general.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Shay Guy was talking about what Lynzee described as the "single guy transfers to former all-girl school" schtick, not "straight harem" series in general.

The school is still all-girls, the MC is an exception, like how staff members in all-boys/girls schools can be from the opposite sex. Although he wasn't hired, he was kidnapped (it's even part of the show's title Laughing)
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How did you like season one of Utawarerumono? Maybe it's one of those shows that's better marathoned, or done in large chunks rather than one a week, so the slower episodes don't feel so isolated.

Having watched the first series of Utawarerumono previously while it was airing week to week, I purchased the DVDs shortly after they were licenced, and then marathon'ed them over 2 days before watching the new series.

Now, I'm a huge fan of UtaMono, I bought the PC game (and worked on an unofficial English patch), the PSP edition and the sequel for PS3 (even though I don't have a PSP or PS3). Maybe it was because I was watching it dubbed or that I was watching it non-stop and skipping the OP/ED themes, but it felt kinda rushed and a little cheesy.

So I would say it's better off being consumed in smaller chunks, rather than rushing through it all in a short period of time. The series can easily be broken up into sub-arcs, perhaps have a break between each arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
The Perfect Insider: First episode made no impression on me whatsoever, but I'm giving it a little more time to prove itself, as it's from the author of "Sky Crawlers," and I've been curious to see what else he's done.

Garo: Crimson Moon: Having really enjoyed Garo's earlier animated season, this is looking like a big step down to me. It's not that it's bad, exactly; it's just a lot more conventional both in story and art style. The original character designs are by Masakazu Katsura, yet you'd never know it from what's on-screen. The last live-action season didn't have much going for it aside from the return of two leads from an earlier season, so I've about had my fill of mediocre Garo.
zatheus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
RHorsman wrote:
Hulu without ads is $11.95. Isn't that what Crunchy premium is these days? Or CR+ or whatever they're calling it now?

Crunchyroll Premium is $6.95 monthly. If you pay by the year, it is $50. That's what I have. So, no it isn't the same as Hulu++.

Crunchyroll Premium+ is the same price as Hulu without ads. That is what I have anyway. I take it that is what RHorsman was talking about when they put up the CR+.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, Valkyrie Drive wins the contest of best magical highschool anime. The others can just be straight up cancelled, no one will miss them.

That sure was some ecchi. I hope it only goes up from here once we see Rain and Lady J get down to business, as well as the milf nee-san voiced by Belldandy. It's also some hardcore yuri action, not the light tiptoe-around-the-subject like pretty much everything else.

Almost feel sorry for the people who only watch it legally. Almost no point in doing that, any previews/reviews or whatever that any site will do will also be rather pointless if its from the upcomming funi version(which is rumoured to be even more censored than the non-AT-X tv versions, but I have no idea where those rumours are coming from).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
When has FUNi ever had an uncensored stream? CR did just recently with Okusama, but I can't recall FUNi doing it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

That's certainly true, though I got the impression that she was referring to Yuuki and Kurumi being blood sisters.

Exactly - and as SilverTalon01 said, those two are biological sisters, which was my problem. If Mio wants to call Basara "onii-chan" for the fans, I don't have a problem with it. Wink Actually, as I said in the review, I rarely have a problem turning off my sensibilities for fiction - something about this just made me unable to do that. *shrug*
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
While I'm not super-crazy about Garo: Crimson Moon looking like a monster-of-the-week show so far, I've noticed when watching the first two Garo tokusatsu series that they tend start out as monster-of-the-week but then build up to a longer plot arc that spans the rest of the series. Here's hoping that Garo: Crimson Moon will do the same.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
@SilverTalon01 & Princess_Irene

Ah, so they are blood sisters. I hadn't picked up on that. I'm in the process of re-watching the first season. Surprising how much I had forgotten in a few months.

I would say 13 is a bit young to be initiated. However I would have also said that it was too young to be an active warrior. There is a lot in anime that simply doesn't do well to spend much time thinking about.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
This is one of the weakest fall seasons I can remember. Even last summer had more diversity than this one. I might end up sticking with Sakurako-san and Perfect Insider, but that looks to be about it. I skimmed all the reviews in hopes there was some potential gem I may have overlooked but didn't see any except maybe One-Punch Man which I'll try soon.

I tried watching the original Utawarerumono to see if the sequel might be worth a look. I was bored halfway through the first episode, but I'll give it another try since I see it recommended from time to time.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Are we talking ara ara, watakushi ... desu wa or both here? This is more important than it has any right to be.

Unless there is "Ho-ho-ho" and "U-fu-fu" laughter it will fail.

jymmy wrote:
It's the prelude to Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major. A gorgeous piece of music, but frankly I found it added little to the show, not fitting with the scene and its narration particularly well.

I was rather surprised to hear it because the same piece was used so prominently in "Hyouka." I guess three years ago isn't as recent as it seems to me.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

I'm Lynzee Very Happy and that one specifically was also more common in anime and especially manga with either gender reversal (only girl at elite boy's school or vice versa).

Examples of that plot setting:
Infinite Stratos
Vandread (kinda)
Bladedance of Elementalers
The Fruit of Grisaia
High School DxD
OtoBoku
I my me strawberry eggs
Mahou Sensei Negima!
Mashiroiro Symphony - The color of lovers
Unlimited Fafnir
Green Green (kinda)
Koi Koi 7
St. Luminous Mission High School

There's also a sub-section where it might be a co-ed school but the guy has to stay in the girl's dorms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 37