• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thereby making the system work.

Except, not by his efforts. Remember, he looked down on all the S-ranks present (Even Genos) which was all S-rankers the association had but 2. So either he's pretty new in his role as gate keeper, or he sucks just as much ass at that as he does as a legit hero. Either way, his whole spiel is really nothing more then thinly veiled frustration that the heros doesn't fit the image of an "Ideal hero", which ties back to the crowds reaction when Saitama "failed" to destroy the meteor.

On another note, i really don't think the hero association is that shit of a system most people pressume it to be. it is woefully inexperienced, yes, but then again it has also only been in place for three years and is run by a normal management. Most RL institutions that start under those circumstances take anywhere betwen one-to-several decades to become truly effective, which usually happens either when the managements gets gradually filled with more experienced people, or when enough relevant information about the field becomes common knowledge.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
On another note, i really don't think the hero association is that shit of a system most people pressume it to be. it is woefully inexperienced, yes, but then again it has also only been in place for three years and is run by a normal management. Most RL institutions that start under those circumstances take anywhere between one-to-several decades to become truly effective, which usually happens either when the managements gets gradually filled with more experienced people, or when enough relevant information about the field becomes common knowledge.

The thing is, the Hero Association seems to be more about managing heroes rather than managing events. That is why Sucky Mask is being catered to by HA management, and why the commentary at the end of the last episode is so ominous.
Marc Romagosa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Rush over there and do your job.
He did. He rushed all the way over. But he was far away. It's not his fault that the fight was done when he got there. And you should be able to understand why, having dropped a major meeting and rushed over, the heroes who were right there didn't even manage to rush outdoors fast enough to save anyone.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The heroes on the scene may not have stopped the barrage, but they were there, evacuating civilians and fighting the ship and aliens. Sweet Mask's writing cheques he can't cash, do you honestly think he could've done any better if he was there?

And when the Sea King was going on a rampage, he did **** all and didn't come out while still having the nerve to criticise them on TV and plug himself while the fight was still going on. And while a number of heroes were no-shows during that fight, they weren't the ones running their mouths during then either. He's full of it and should hold himself to his own standards first, then he can talk about who deserves what. That's all I have to say on that matter.
Marc Romagosa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Sweet Mask's writing cheques he can't cash, do you honestly think he could've done any better if he was there?
Right, but it still makes sense for him to be frustrated.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Marc Romagosa wrote:
Souther wrote:
Sweet Mask's writing cheques he can't cash, do you honestly think he could've done any better if he was there?
Right, but it still makes sense for him to be frustrated.

No it doesn't, at least from a sane person's perspective. Whether he rushed there or not, he didn't know what had happened or if anyone was to blame.

Also, the aliens did deserve to die, without mercy. But Akami Mask didn't kill them for revenge or for justice. He killed them because he could and he was frustrated at them for making him look bad.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
It was a ridiculously exciting finale to watch! It's funny that all of my favorite anime series from this year were done by Madhouse. They really must be my go-to production company from now on I suppose. I mean, they've always churned out high quality stuff, but this past year it's been much more noticeable.

This is the first time I've been tempted to start a manga before the anime covers it all and read past the point of the anime. I'm just that interested in the world and characters. So I'll definitely be checking that out when I get the time to do so. Yeah, I'm not really an avid manga guy. The only ones I've completely finished are Nausicaa and Neon Genesis Evangelion, and that's only because they were based off of pre-existing material or went further than the movie (Nausicaa) ever did. Also they were engrossing enough to actually hold my attention. The lack of animation and music in manga tends to be the reason why I lean much more towards just watching anime.

But I digress. Anyway... I can't see how anyone could view the characters in this show as bland or undeveloped. I mean, the biggest argument I saw is against Saitama because of how he beats most of his enemies with one punch, but doesn't that seem a bit shallow to you guys? Your basing character development solely on physical turbulence, and not even counting for what should be the most important: emotional struggle. And the show had that in spades, especially for Saitama. His struggle to find a worthy opponent and existential crisis, for me, perfectly deepened his character and motivations. How could anyone not appreciate his character for essentially sacrificing his own image in the public eye for the sake of preserving the honor of all the other heroes that fought and lost in battle with the sea king. To me, that's more development than any flashy action sequence could ever be. Not to say that they aren't wonderfully animated scenes, because they are!

And also a note: Just because the show is called "One Punch Man," that doesn't mean you go in expecting him to actually defeat every villain in one punch, or defeat them on his first try. I mean, the final battle with Boros proved this much. He's not known as One Punch Man in the universe itself, that's just the show/manga's title. So saying "we know going in to every battle that he is going to win in one punch" isn't true. But even ignoring that, the godly animation makes it all practically irrelevant anyway. I love how the series has a skill for blending serious action with Saitama's nonchalant attitude. It shouldn't be as investing as it is, but it is.

So yeah, I loved the show! I really hope there's a season 2 someday. I'm not expecting it to come around anytime soon, but I hope if it does happen that the same crew is involved with it. Shinjo Natsume is a real rising talent in the industry. I loved him for his work on Space Dandy and I loved him for this even more. He's surely a name to look out for in the coming years I'd say. And also, the whole thing about a second season not being likely because Madhouse is behind it: I wish that myth would die. They've followed up plenty of series that had the popularity behind them, and I think OPM perfectly fits that qualification. Honestly, it'd be a wasted opportunity for them not to, especially considering just how much foreshadowing they put into this season. It's almost as if they were going out of their way to essentially confirm it. I mean, they weren't exactly being vague with all the references.
Marc Romagosa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
No it doesn't, at least from a sane person's perspective.
Who ever heard of a sane hero?

Jayhosh wrote:
This is the first time I've been tempted to start a manga before the anime covers it all and read past the point of the anime.
The anime will never cover it all. There's OVA type chapters in the Murata version that the anime completely ignores. There are OVAs on the BDs but they're new stuff that ONE wrote just for that purpose.

Quote:
Your basing character development solely on physical turbulence, and not even counting for what should be the most important: emotional struggle.
I think what people look for really depends on what kind of series they're looking for. You don't see that kind of thing much in shounen, it's more of a seinen thing. If you read OPM like seinen, it works a lot better, but each revision from the webcomic to manga to anime has obscured that element behind more and more shounen, so it's understandable that people who watch a lot of anime, but not necessarily a wide variety of anime, miss that sort of thing simply by virtue of not expecting it within the medium.

Quote:
I'm not expecting it to come around anytime soon,
Murata's redraw is on season two content, but it's including revisions so it's hard to know how long it'll be. Still, that could easily be done in a couple years and then it only takes about half a year to make an anime, so it isn't necessarily that far out in the future.

Quote:
the whole thing about a second season not being likely because Madhouse is behind it

Besides what you said, it's not really up to Madhouse anyway. If ONE wants to do a second season (which is inevitable) and Madhouse doesn't (which is possible) then he'll make one with some other studio. If you're not following the people behind this, ONE is the artist of the webcomic and writer of everything. He owns the IP outright and is the guy involved in the talks and making things happen, so it's not like with most adaptations where it depends on the publisher's evaluation. And since OPM is more commercially successful than Mob Psycho 100, it's the one that ONE pushes.

Quote:
It's almost as if they were going out of their way to essentially confirm it. I mean, they weren't exactly being vague with all the references.
Well, they just animated what happened in the denouement of the Boros arc. They did add an anime original scene after the credits to make it slightly more of an ending and less of a transition. And a lot of what they foreshadowed isn't really in the next season anyway. Like, people have been talking about Sweet Mask but he was only introduced really, he doesn't get heavy foreshadowing until second season and what his deal is won't be revealed until somewhere beyond that. And the stuff about the suspicious organization was all foreshadowed in season one (but not in the last episode) and won't really be brought up again until the future either. And there's some amazing foreshadowing in season two as well, like a beautiful panel ONE drew of a dead man bare before GOD. Honestly, I'm not sure Madhouse can capture the feeling behind that scene, but then, I'm not sure anyone else can either. But I look forward to them trying. They captured the "OK" panel well which is also something I thought would be hard to do in anime.
Cranium

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Just binge watched the show, and I wasn't especially impressed. First few episodes were pretty funny but I got more bored the longer the show went on. The fight scenes are definitely better animated than in a typical shonen show but it didn't matter to me since I didn't cared about the characters and they stopped being funny after the first couple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21