• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tow Ubukata Talks About Upcoming Prison Memoir

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I seriously want to read this, to be honest. I hope someone translates it somewhere.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This seems pretty juicy, and by juicy, I'm really interested(I already was before). If I ever go to jail, I'll find me a senpai really quickly.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
"senpai noticed me!" unfortunately, it was in jail Sad
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love when someone manages turning beating their wife into a self-promotion opportunity.

And by love, I mean the other thing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully he learned to be a less crappy writer while in prison.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised he would make this whole ordeal into some sort of story for manga or novel. Thats what writers do...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
If I ever go to jail, I'll find me a senpai really quickly.

LMAO.

I've watched enough Lockup on MSNBC to know that this can only end well.

I feel as if Ubukata is doing this all out of spite. I'd really love to hear the wife's story, but I'm sure she's been paid for her silence.
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested read this too when it release and wow guy hit is wife just wow Confused
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, he's a jerk. On the other, interesting and humorous look into a segment of the Japanese prison system...
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Like others here I am very interested in reading this if someone translates it which I hope they do.

Vent wrote:
Gotta love when someone manages turning beating their wife into a self-promotion opportunity.

And by love, I mean the other thing

Oh, didn't know you had evidence that proved those allegations as true...
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how people believe that this man really hit his wife, when it's pretty much known that many of the supposed domestic violence charges among relatively famous people tend to be false and are staged to extort money, annoy the other party, or even just to piss off the other. What's worse is that the public system allows this, moreso in the Japanese system, where a simple report is mostly enough to sentence the other party to jail, however this doesn't seem to work in reverse, and by this I mean men reporting their wives for domestic violence.

This might not mean much, but working as I am in a lobby, and one that focuses exclusively in these kinds of issues, I can certify that most, if not all, the evidence is fabricated, twisted, and in many times done after the facts, just to abuse the system and "win". And this goes bothways, from the wife that reports the husband, to the husband that defends himself in court (and viceversa). What's even more interesting is that a lot of the falsified and fabricated evidence is done by already-known-to-be innocent defendants (since most recorded everything, kept logs, took daily pictures, etc.) that have to do so because their real evidence cannot be used in court because the system is flawed.

When I read these kinds of news, I can only feel sorry for the defendant party, since they're either innocent, or did something on a completely different scale (in a good sense) compared to what was reported and he or she is being judged for. And yes, there are some real cases out there, but there're so few that they can even be considered outlayers.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Reportedly, Ubukata's account of his short prison time saw him meet several "quirky" characters within the cells, including elderly homeless citizens and Japanese-speaking Iranian people.

Okay, That seems like it has potential.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty happy that it seems that he is doing it to spite the legal system and not his wife; too bad this did nto happen 2 months later so he coudl ahve meet the guy who was jailed for scanning on piece Razz.

angelmcazares wrote:
Hopefully he learned to be a less crappy writer while in prison.

ubukata is a pretty decent writer when he is given enoguht time to do so properly (aka, not when he worked in psycho pass 2)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
He's still a tool, but I'm glad to hear he'll be highlighting how the other prisoners could be quite nice people.

As for people still bringing up "stop allegating he did anything wrong!", not only is nobody doing that, but we've already had several pages of threads pointing out the numerous bad signs and red flags surrounding this whole situation. You can go back and find them if you want, but don't try and argue it here again.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it will be an interesting read, and yeah the Japanese legal system is a messed up game, it's common sense, when you know the conviction rate is near 100% and charges can be dropped at the tip of the hat where there's 100% smoking gun evidence of a crime (no BS or heresy) to avoid trial, you know the whole thing is a game for tyrants in the judicial system.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2