• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Hmm, I think it makes sense that Mumei isn't entirely normal herself considering her abnormal fighting abilities. I hope we see more background story about her soon too.

Good action this episode with the OST. Ikoma reminds me of Eren a lot this episode in a way but also with more intelligence. Wonder who else is a Kabaneri in this series as I suspect that there are more than just Mumei and Ikoma.

ED theme song by Aimer is nice, one of my favorites this season so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, I think it makes sense that Mumei isn't entirely normal herself considering her abnormal fighting abilities. I hope we see more background story about her soon too

It felt like no surprise that the strong fighters would be zombie hybrids (keeping sanity despite virus), and I actually suspected it was the case of her in the first episode before seeing specifically how she moves.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty weird seeing Mikimoto's character designs in something so modern. Gives it a retro feel that I think works well for the series.

So it's Attack on Snowpiercer. I'm digging it just fine though. I really like Mumei in her combat outfit.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
After ep 1, I was looking forward to more. After ep 2, I was bored but I do ship hime and samurai so I will continue to watch.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I know it's a different time period and different set of moral values that go with the "norm" but honestly anime that piss me off are rare. It's not that the anime is bad. It's actually pretty good as far as "standards." I prefer happy endings with drama and action to serious, bloody happy endings in a dystopia but the human nature depicted in this anime is what pisses me off.

In the first episode after the train spectacularly (no sarcasm intended; refreshing animation) explodes due to a failure in a check system (NOT surprised), the spectators near the crashed train boxes gather and just stand there. Yep, just stand there.

They don't help, they don't run. At least not until AFTER it's obvious. Twisted Evil Sacrificial lambs they are not but cannon fodder I'm glad they are. This is one of the few times I'm glad for nature doing its job. They deserve what they got since they stood there like idiots. I'd feel complete sympathy if they actually tried to help (even though we know they'd die or most would) but they just stood there and WAITED. I know what NOT to watch when I'm in a good mood, LOL. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 3, I find Mumei to be more a likable character. The girl is tough and she knows it so training Ikoma becomes almost like a responsibility of sorts. Mumei and Ikoma's relationship develop a bit as well. Ikoma also seems more open about his past as well. Really sad to see tbh in such a cruel world...

In the meantime, I think perhaps Ikoma's powers depend on blood? That's definitely a drawback against his current condition...

Good episode although imo feels weaker than the previous two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else get Valvrave flashbacks at the end there? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Very different situations, but I knew some people would immediately say that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Anyone else get Valvrave flashbacks at the end there? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Laughing That was immediately my thought.

But still I appreciate the feeling that the end of the episode left on, a build of tension that is just setting a hook to watch what happens next.

Also, the random foreign guy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
What's the black-haired guy with the goatee's name? I love his what, topknot? foreknot? backwards ponytail? Whatever it's called, it's a great hairstyle, though it would look ridiculous in real life.

Mumei seems like she's drawn for a different series. Her design seems radically different from everyone else's somehow. I am liking her though.

So what, did the "pregnant" woman tuck her mother's head under her clothes (I hope) or something? I have a feeling that's going to be one squicky situation.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Mumei better not be Ikoma's sister... I mean they do look very similar but it it would be kind of stupid if Mumei was somehow Ikoma's sister who we are shown was killed as a full Kabane by his OWN hands.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

So Ikoma was able to regain his conscience again after nearly going berserk. Doesn't surprise me too much...

Pretty tense episode still. I love how grim this got and I think the people on the train realized it from the beginning. OST is nice too this episode. Pretty good action in general, actually now that I think about it, this feels quite like Attack on Titan style in terms of action.

Glad to see them surviving that brutal encounter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Was that a steampunk bow? In general I was happy to see again some steampunk action, it was pretty cool to watch. I admittedly laughed when uptight samurai's sword broke on the big guy, symbolically breaking his pride and arrogance towards the hero when he instead saved them.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
We finally got done with what amounts to the first narrative arc, if the show can keep up this with the story telling this will definitively be worth the... HYPE TRAIN!
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Your post is what felt like to be of true annoyance. It didn't take too much a time between when the human shown up to watch the burning train that landed on their rooftop and when the kabane once popped. It happened within mere seconds. Never seen an actual crash before? People would usually swarm the whole place to see what happen and I see there's nothing wrong with what the villagers is doing at all. Helping people is clearly out of the question because everything happened too fast. Maybe you should had think first before posting that, or is this another one of those complaining just for the sake of complaining kind of post?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5