• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Him transforming into a hellion after being beaten by Alisha gave me the impression that he was a hellion disguised as a human. His transformation was so casual and undramatic, that it gave me the impression that it was just a bad guy showing his true evil colours.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
No, that was the moment he went from human to hellion. Not much of a reaction from Alisha or Rose because neither of them could see his transformation (Rose did look shocked so she at least sensed something was off).
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok. The way the scene plays out doesn't at all give me the impression that is the moment he becomes a hellion. There's no struggle or anything to tell me that he has been corrupted by evil or something. What exactly at that moment could cause him to turn into a hellion? The way it happens is like it's natural for the dude. And Alisha definitely reacts to it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if that is the moment he became a hellion then there should have been something to give us that impression. Like seeing something possess him or it should have been foreshadowed.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Not going to lie, Rose's Armatization form looks pretty cool in anime

I'm not sure of what Lunarre's motivation is to fight against those monsters. (unless I missed something?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking on this a lot, and I think that one of the biggest areas that the anime fails in, is information.

We've seen confusion in this thread (and the review thread), when people don't understand why someone is doing something. I think this is because the anime is assuming that you have game knowledge to fill in those gaps. At the same time, however, the anime changes fundamental things from the game, so that you don't know what information from the game is still relevant.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Not going to lie, Rose's Armatization form looks pretty cool in anime

Her outfit certainly hits a lot of my strike zones. I was quite happy when I managed to get both versions of her in Tales of Link.

However, I'm sorry Rose and imma gonna let ya finish, but Alisha had the best armatization of all time!

I suppose I had always envisioned armatized Alisha as wearing the same outfit as Rose (the default female version, effectively) but I'm happy that they gave her a distinct design. I especially like the straight skirt (dunno the official term) in contrast with Rose's pleated one. I do think I like Rose's little cape compared to Alisha's giant collar, though.

Stark700 wrote:
I'm not sure of what Lunarre's motivation is to fight against those monsters. (unless I missed something?)

Like he was saying, he wanted to do something good at least once in his life. As I said earlier, if he joined the Scattered Bones because he wanted to make a difference (since they were an honorable assassin group) then his inability to kill Alisha would have been seen as a massive failure to him. Those negative emotions were enough to turn him into a hellion and he started following Alisha. He says he did so because interesting things happened around her, but perhaps he saw her struggle to make a difference and it remind him of himself. He tried to make her give into despair that one time like he did and he was pretty mad when it didn't work.

This is a common trope in fiction, where some one who failed to do something tries to make a similar person also fail as if to reassure him that the task was impossible rather than it being a personal failure. So seeing Alisha and the others persevere despite the odds reminded Lunarre of the kind of person he wanted to be and gave him hope that maybe he could do it after all.

But again, this is all inference based on what little we know of him and common tropes. Dunno what his deal in the game is.

Symonne's more of a mystery since we have no idea why she serves the Lord of Calamity. It must be a good reason, though, since the malevolence didn't change her until she let it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the hair in Alisha's armatization. That side ponytail is absurdly long and that curvy long strand of hair looks a bit ridiculous. But I'll give it points because it's two cute girls fusing, I like the orange colour in it and the large floating rocks are cool. Otherwise Rose's armatization looks a bit better.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly getting long hair is an armatization trademark, though, so they couldn't omit it. Alisha's just the only one with a pre-existing tied off hairstyle to lengthen where as Sorey and Rose grow ponytails out of nowhere.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I've been thinking on this a lot, and I think that one of the biggest areas that the anime fails in, is information.

We've seen confusion in this thread (and the review thread), when people don't understand why someone is doing something. I think this is because the anime is assuming that you have game knowledge to fill in those gaps. At the same time, however, the anime changes fundamental things from the game, so that you don't know what information from the game is still relevant.

YES. Probably why it can be frustrating for any viewer to watch. I remember watching Chaika and not once did I feel confused or frustrated that I couldn't understand what was happening. That's because even though from what I heard the anime was extremely different from the novels it still told a coherent story that allowed casual viewers not familiar with the source to follow it. Of course I haven't gotten around to season 2 yet so that might of changed but for now I'm going to assume it stayed that way Razz. That's the way I think adaptations should go. Even if you have to streamline the story (which this anime has) it needs to be made clear to a casual audience how things work.

Anyway....long episode post again.

So all those extra people.................did nothing like I expected. I mean Sorey and crew had to protect them the entire time and what did they provide in return? Food I guess? Even if that were the case the sparrow feathers could have handled that. I don't see them doing shit against the LOC either so I'm not sure why the writers thought it was necessary to take up screentime with these useless people. Would been better to have Sorey appreciate the sentiment but still not let the come. Hell the other normin could have been like Attak and helped everyone strength their power so they could do more damage but nope. I guess maybe since most of the malevolence is clear they MIGHT be able to help against the dragon (although I doubt it) but regardless I don't like it.............where is Brave when you need him! Wink

Soooo Alisha can armatize now. Not a bad change but the way it happened was.........kind of dumb? I mean they didn't get it work all the times they practiced it. Then when the battles with all with all those drakes comes (they have to be drakes, there is no way Sorey and crew could purify that many full grown dragons) it's just a matter of saying "I want to help!" and BOOM! Wish granted. That's magic of fighting in the finale I suppose. Plus I can't help but wonder why Rose was more tired than Alisha when it was established she had a much better bond with Dezel than Alisha had with Edna. She wasn't armatized for that much longer either. I'm assuming fatigue will be forgotten at the beginning of the next episode though.

Syomme is a dragon now..........cool i guess? I mean it's not like that means anything anymore since Sorey is probably going to purify her and be done with it. Would be cool if the LOC fought alongside her but since he IS a final villain and all I'm guessing he'll just watch with popcorn in his mouth. Speaking of which..........

Lunarre...........the king of popcorn eaters........suddenly decides to help. It's like the anime had no idea how to handle this character with all the changes they've made. I find it very strange that he had more interaction with Alisha than Rose...........you know......the person who was in charge of the organization he was a part of for a large portion of his life? No doubt due to the Alisha pandering the anime has been doing thanks to backlash the game received regarding the character. It's not like his change of heart has any pay off either since his character has hardly had any focus up to this point. It's just a random convenience if anything.

Bleh overall didn't really like this episode but I'm still looking forward to the Sorey and Velvet potentially meeting. The anime seems to be setting it up big time and that feat would be easily feasible in two episodes. Seems the anime fight not even give Heldalf his backstory until the last minute though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
I think Sorey is one of the main issues I have with the show. He is so boring. He doesn't have any interesting personality traits or quirks. He doesn't have any mental struggles like dealing with the weight of being the chosen one destined to save the world. He doesn't go through vigorous training montages to gain cool, badass powers to defeat badass villains with cool, badass powers. He doesn't really have to work hard to gain the trust of his allies. He is just kind of bland and uninteresting whose road to greatness is just as uninteresting as he is.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I mean they didn't get it work all the times they practiced it.

Well, it's common enough in real life where some one can't do something when practising, but when put in an actual situation that needs it they can do it perfectly. Power of the human mindset, I guess?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
The armatization thing felt way too easy to me, too. It was presented as this nigh impossible task but when the time came it was all, "heck, this is pretty easy after all." And I agree with your assessment of Sorey's character, Cam0, but for some reason I don't hold his bland characterization against him. I find him likeable enough so in the context of his interactions with the other characters I guess it doesn't bother me that he's pretty one note and the one note isn't exactly exciting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I also agree that the armatization happened too easily. Rose and Alisha were introduced to the whole thing at the end of the previous episode and like Blood- said it was presented as an almost impossible thing to do. Then they are capable of doing the feat the very next episode. They could have easily prevented it from feeling so cheap by introducing the armatization thing to Rose and Alisha earlier so they'd have a few extra episodes of trying to learn to use it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
I prefer Sorey the way he is. I guess in the game his character arc is learning spoiler[it's okay to kill people], which I don't have an inherent issue with but I don't think it really suits an optimistic and energetic person like him.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I prefer Sorey the way he is. I guess in the game his character arc is learning spoiler[it's okay to kill people], which I don't have an inherent issue with but I don't think it really suits an optimistic and energetic person like him.

It's less that, and more spoiler[you can't save everyone]. That's why Rose is so important to be with him, because spoiler[when it comes to them having to flat-out kill someone who's refusing to be purified, she does the deed so that he doesn't have to, because even if it was the only option, he'd feel guilty and it would cause malevolence]. That's also ties into spoiler[Edna's] arc, since spoiler[you don't really have a chance against Eizen until Edna recognizes that there's no way to save her brother, and fights with you to take him down].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18