• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I don't quite understand is Aldera, period. Are they a whole nother country now? I had thought they were just the main religion within the Empire. Is this a civil war about to start or an international one?

I'm guessing it's kinda like Catholicism. People all over the world in many countries adhere to the religion, but the Vatican City is a country formed around it, and is its seat.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Yatori's answers really didn't surprise me much including the part if she will kill Ikta if by orders. The Igsem family always obeying them. I like her response to Ikta's own question even better though.

Well the battle itself imo was short but also tense. Too bad that lives were lost, I mean it's the nature of the fighting itself. Even Ikta can make mistakes. Death is very real in this series, especially on the battlefield....which is sad considering they can't be bought back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Suya's scene of frustration was a good touch. I really like it when we can get a closer look at supposed victories still having major impacts on the people involved that it is not all roses. That minimal casualties were still casualties, and the reason for their particular deaths can be a sore point for those close to them. Even more of a tragic is not just Nana knowing that her decision cost lives, but any future position that Ikta may receive will be build on those under him that died. It almost feels like it explains a death of humanity of higher commanding officers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
I really got turned off by this show when our so-called heroes didn't seem all that chuffed about the unfair war they were prosecuting against the Sinack. Yes, they were able to mitigate some of its worst impact, but they didn't seem to emotionally struggle that much with the issue, which I found very odd. I also felt that there was more the Lazy General could have done to derail the offensive. He had a personal connection to the Sinack but that didn't seem to weight all the heavily on him. He showed more emotion over the death of a chick he'd known for a couple of days. That whole arc felt weird to me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Wow, Jean is even more smarter than I had thought. Outsmarting Ikta and the Imperial Army by using a blimp, cavalry coordination, and using explosive cannons to turn things around? That's quite a strategy imo.

I wonder how Ikta will get out of that one.

Nice to see Torway getting some moments as well this week.One more episode to go..I'm really interested to see the outcome of this battle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Why does Aldera have an issue with blimps and cannons? Does their religion condone the use of technology? Have I not been paying attention again?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So basically 600 troops have held an army of 20,000 at bay for five days. Gee, imagine if the rump force had had 1,200 - they could easily have held off for the seven day mission, no problem. Yeah, not really buying this, but oh well. I guess when the Lazy General is on the scene all things are possible, right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
What I really felt from this episode was the example given earlier in the series about how a battle can be like a chessboard, but normally you have the problem that you cannot see all the pieces. So you have Ikta who is trying to guess the other's moves, and Sleepless who gives himself height to see the other pieces from above.

The only reason that their 600 is holding off the other side is that they have managed to only have small bottlenecks that the other side can make an attack. Sure the 20,000 could probably mow them down if they wanted, but they are wanting to reduce losses because they are planning on fighting a lot more afterwards.

The episode made me want to play some rts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Oh, I know they are pushing the bottleneck idea, I just don't really buy it. When the disparity in manpower is that great, I find it hard to believe that the larger force couldn't have dealt with one of the fires in a certain area and just smashed through. And even if you are bottlenecked, when your force is so much more numerous, you can just attrite the other side. So if you are fighting along a very small front, maybe you can only use a small number of your troops at one time, but you can replace casualties easily and your foe can't.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Again, they are planning to push through with this army and fight with another after dealing with another once they are past them. Increasing casualties now would only weaken their army as they then try and pursue the rest of the retreating enemy and what obstacles after that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
But letting themselves get delayed means they will let the main body escape. Better just to hammer you're way through, especially because in doing so you are neutralizing the great and wonderful Lazy General. The rest of the force will be child's play. Then there's dumb things like the Ghosts only trying to attack the fort a few days after the besieging began. They were a small, mobile guerilla force. It beggars belief it would take them days to get into position to shoot at the fortress.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
The Ghosts' effectiveness was on not being seen coming, a single battle to crush defences, which took them getting to one spot without being scene getting there, for a time when an ambush would be unexpected. Unfortunately they did not know Ikta could see this move coming, not just outmanoeuvring, but also that he can think what strategies would be used.

I am just largely giving the benefit of the doubt. I am reminded of an interesting point from MAOYU that it was said that surprisingly once an army has only about 30% of its troops left it is pretty much finished as to the last man is not that common. Considerations would be like even those dead, the wounded, would slow them down, so they would have to be left which would take an extra troops to look after them, that so far they have just not had advantage to use most of its size advantage without other costly counter strategies where they are up against people more familiar with the land.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That's basically the difference in our positions. You are prepared to give the show the benefit of the doubt and I am not. I feel that if a show is going to dramatize that a character has amazing strategic and tactical skills, then it shouldn't cheat to establish those. I feel in this case, the show has. We are supposed to just take it on faith that this force of 20,000 has been credibly stymied by forest paths, fire and a series of conveniently narrow mountain paths on both sides of the forest.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I agree, little too hard to believe a force that size wold take so long to get through. I kinda think that the Kiokan general was intentionally letting things play out so long. Not his army, so why not have a little fun and see if there is anybody worth playing with before it time to get serious.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd be able to buy it if they were holding a highly defensible position like a fortress surrounded by water. I find it hard to believe that the 20000 man army can't find small gaps to go through in the forest. However I'm not sure I agree with Blood-'s idea that the army could just force itself through the bottleneck. There I agree with Dusky that sending your men into the meat grinder would cause too many casualties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6