• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@ getchman - actually, that's kind of an intriguing idea. It would certainly make the slow advance of a vastly numerically superior foe more credible in my view.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Having been through countless California wildfire seasons, I can buy the fire holding them back, though I'm a little skeptical it would take as long as it did to burn across that valley. What strains my credulity is the horses jumping through a wall of flames (without setting their manes and tails on fire).

It's really weird to hear Joseph Joestar's voice coming out of that creepy old commander.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
He had a personal connection to the Sinack but that didn't seem to weight all the heavily on him. He showed more emotion over the death of a chick he'd known for a couple of days.

I don't think Ikta had a stronger connection to the Sinack than he did with Kana. I interpreted the whole relationship with the Sinack as just understanding their culture whereas he connected more with Kana. They had some chemistry together because SCIENCE!. Nana's love seems one sided so far. Though, I do have to point out that I feel Kana's death hasn't shown much impact on him (despite the scene 1-2 episodes that shows he has regrets about it).

Regarding the forest fire and such, perhaps I'm drawing at too many straws but I usually fall back on the "terrain familiarity" excuse. You don't want to rush your army to death in unknown terrain so that might be a reason. Or the Unsleeping General just wanted to do his homework and get the highest success rate hence his surveying/delaying the attack. Also, aren't the mountain ranges nearby which also play a bit of factor (i.e. adjusting to altitude levels, limited mobility, easy targets)? The last one might be too much of a stretch given the number of soldiers the Imperial has defending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
@ EmbraceMe - I got the impression from the show that, as a child, Ikta spent an not inconsiderable amount of time among the Sinack and knew Nana personally. So his knowledge of them is more than purely academic. Despite that, he seemed to expend very little energy to do more than mitigate the worst of the slaughter. And the emotional impact of what can only be viewed as a catastrophe for the Sinack did not appear to make as great impression on him as the death of a woman he knew for a very short period of time. I'd think a strategist/tactician of such impeccable skill that he can hold off a force of 20.000 with only 600 troops for almost a week would have no problem derailing the campaign against the Sinack which, after all, was being led by a boob of the highest order. Hell, Ikta even ensured the campaign would be more effective than it otherwise would have been because he was the one that knew how to deal with elevation sickness. No, I maintain that the show handled that whole Sinack arc in a very strange way, although I do seem to be the only poster in this thread actually troubled by it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, while I agree with you in theory, it is unfortunately extremely realistic that the army of a ruling country would follow orders to suppress and kill the native minority population, even if individual soldiers had some personal connection with a person in the minority culture, or extensive knowledge of the culture. It's happened in almost every country on Earth. The government spreading propaganda that the ruling country's people are superior to the native "barbarians," helps that process. Even if an individual soldier doesn't consciously believe that, the idea that the soldier is fundamentally different from the people s/he is ordered to kill, that the native peoples are the "other," creates a psychological distance that helps make the situation bearable at the time, even if the soldier will later regret his/her actions (as Suya did this ep). It just hits a chord that is too realistic to question. I would have loved if Itka had spoken out and the story would have avoided genocidal overtones, but I got the impression that Ikta felt that questioning that far up the chain of command was beyond him (especially after Nana declared war outright), and that his best course of action was to use strategy to shorten the duration of the war as much as possible with a focus on protecting the troops directly under his own command.

This show reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist's flashbacks of the war against Ishval, but in slow motion. As much as FMA depicted Roy Mustang, Risa Hawkeye and Maes Hughes as heroes to root for, they would be the first to admit that they knowingly participated in a genocidal was against a native people under the guise of "following orders." I believe Roy and Riza's ultimate goal was to be tried for war crimes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Lets not forget that this episode we found out that Ikta has had the ultimate goal lowering Yatori's burden, and he could not have done that if he rejected orders and put energy into undoing the will of his superior officers. If he had there were chances that Yatori would have been told to kill him, and we found out the impact this would have with her where she would have to kill her own personality. So making sure the war came to a quick end with as few casualties was probably the best he could do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
@ Agent355 - I have no quibble with the reality of soldiers carrying out orders that are repulsive to them. I quibble with the lack of inner struggle that seemed to go on within Ikta over having to do so. The entire campaign didn't really seem to chuff him much, which I find odd.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale:

Well I just finished the show today.

As far as it goes, I think it was pretty interesting from start to finish in terms of storytelling with the war and characters. For the finale, I do find it clever that Ikta once again uses his strategic mind to ensure survival.

Ikta and Yatori's relationship is also unique from start to finish. However, the ending was more open ended, not that I was surprised. I was hoping the show would be 2-cour rather than 13 episodes. Still, a pretty wild and fun ride. Rating it as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely convinced that Ikta's and Chamille's relationship was close enough for Chamille to leap into Ikta's arms, but I can buy it. Amidst that chaotic battle everyone stopping the exact moment when someone yelled out the order was a bit silly. I also always find it a silly way to be overly dramatic by having a guy stop his swing with a sword or redirect it the moment he hears the order to stop.

Eh, it was a decent show. While I sort of get why Theron has been singing its praises all the time, I didn't find the show to be all that spectacular. I never felt bored, but the show didn't exactly impress me either. Uh... I guess the show lacked a central villain or something. This Unsleeping dude came in too late. The early episodes had Torway's douchebag brother and it was fun watching Ikta best him. But then after that the show lacked a reason for me to get invested in any of the battles. There was that one girl who died, but I never grew attached to her.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I was entertained, most of the cast was enjoyable in that usual JRPG trope manner.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Amidst that chaotic battle everyone stopping the exact moment when someone yelled out the order was a bit silly.

Yeah, Ikta should've been toast there.

If there's another season to follow, I hope they explain more about the sprites. As far as we know, they're all still rotting in the dungeon, most with no partners to go back to anyway. I don't expect to see more on that now, but they missed an opportunity for one of their trademark war-is-feels gut punches.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

It is interesting how they kind of turned things on its head, playing against Sleepless' sense of being the hero to change the world in terms of needing to stay out of trouble using a dirty trick. He was even 90% sure that it was a bluff. The princess sure has a tall order, wanting Ikta to get to the head of the army and help the country actually lose in a way that will help the country start over with some fresh culture and ideas, and yet enough keep their own too. Maybe I am reading something not intentional, but I kind of think of it as particularly relevant as it was on in defeat that Japan itself changed, and this kind of felt like owning that. The plan is a bit shocking, but not entirely surprising. That does sound like it does not make any sense, but I had been getting the idea for a while that Chamille knew that the country had to be torn down to some extent, the OP was kind of saying this and I was really happy how this last episode used the imagery. The shot of Ikta and Chamille standing across from each other with the symbol of the empire between them.

I enjoyed this show. As much as you could call it having a bunch of the light components, it felt smarter, tackled some topics in a more intelligent and impactful way. I would love to see more of this, a two cour length would have been liked, but this also feels like a good stopping point for an anime. Ikta was pretty perfect to some extent, but I think some good work was done to make him feel flawed, like with his laziness (even if there was a point to it) and his womanizing, which I don't think was played up like other series. Yatori was a good character to bounce off of him, and their not really romance relationship was great, it is oddly rare. The other characters maybe could have used more time, but they were still good characters. I don't recall any problems with animation, I think some pretty cool use of music was done, I enjoyed the OP song quite a bit even if I had only recently watched video that pointed out that music by this particular band tends to be quite similar.

I give a rating of Very good (8/10), it was a pretty good watch, which along with Re:Zero has proven that indeed interesting light novel anime can be made. Would be great to see more such anime be up to this level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6