• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handa-kun (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

====== Eraser! ======
Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I was going to comment just with "Eraser", but Gina did it first. That was odd but I found it increasingly funny as it got used, like random. She is ironically funny in the show. Actually the entire section was like that where none of them understand that they are the problem.

This episode felt really funny where he was bullied with peer pressure into allowing the dissection, but when the whole thing fell apart by panic and feinting on his part it looked like he was teaching a lesson about caring for the frogs. It is like that episode of Sakamoto-kun episode where spoiler[he pretends to be possessed by a fox to teach a lesson], but because it was unintentional on Handa's part it felt much funnier. Handa-kun feels like it fixed the problems I had with Sakamoto-kun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Home room Sensei's beard has really gotten out of control. I've been noticing it getting longer for awhile now, but he looks like a ginger Santa now. Very Happy

Is Kawafuji finally growing a conscience? Too little, too late, you scumdog. Excuse me now, I have to go sink the Spanish Armada.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought that it was more that Kawafuji only just realised the extent of the sort horrible things Handa has been going through. He saw Handa panicking in thinking people hated him while instead everyone looked up to him, but not realised that the ridiculous misunderstanding of Handa is making them think that Handa would like to be worshiped for some reason as Queen Elisabeth with no required lines. Even more so with him just realising at the nature of the musical Romeo an Juliet play café would be overwhelming to him, that it was beyond a little joke.

I liked how the bickering girls were kind of passively aggressive to each other before the calligraphy, yet they wrote "friendship". Or despite being told not to use a student's name for the festival, they actually did use his, Seishuu being the personal name I recognise more than Sei in the original series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
He's known all along how miserable Handa is, and could barely contain his laughter at every turn. The only thing that seems to have finally gotten him to think for a second was how public this particular humiliation was.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

====== Toshoiin! ======
Laughing

(Isn't librarian was toshokanin?)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(Isn't librarian was toshokanin?)
I'm pretty sure that the word is only for full-time librarians working in public libraries - the "kan" (館) in "toshokan" implies a separate building, whereas most school libraries are referred to as "toshoshitsu" - "library room". "Toshoiin" literally means "library committee member", i.e. a student volunteering for the library.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Couldn't turn up anything with just hiragana or parts of librarian. I thought it might be a pun on slaughterhouse or something. ^.^
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
Finished the show today.

I'm glad they had most of the main and supporting cast showing up and the Handa army. The final episode actually gave the feel of a final episode as well imo. Overall, I guess the show was good. Not great but the comedy was funny every episode with Handa and his episodic adventures. Rating it as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That was actually a good ending. We had the expected gags, but I think best of all we actually had some conclusion that the comedy (tragedy happening to someone else) end with Handa becoming aware of the truth, which is much better than if it had ended on saying that the hijinks just continue. It is good knowing that Handa's terrible time is somewhat alleviated at the end. But still make mention to things like the Handa coming across as profound beyond his intention, accidental burning, and things like stalker (Eraser).

To talk about the anime Handa-kun I want to talk about the show I think it is most like. No it is not Barakamon of which this is a prequel and spin-off of, instead I would say it is Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, an anime about a perfect student. I have mentioned it before, but Sakamoto got kind of boring because you kind of lose the mystery of how things will go because of course Sakamoto will come out on top because he is awesome. On the contrary Handa-kun was funny because he would have no clue what he was doing was actually super awesome, his impacts were accidents, and even if everyone else won he might have still lost. It was funny that was so meaningful could be an accident. And also in opposition, we had a cast of characters who could all shine in their own way, and although they thought they were, they were not so reliant on him. My favourite by the end is still Eraser, the seemingly normal girl scary stalker yandere, her place in the ED even changed to reflect her change. But there was a lot of personality to go around. Yeah, the character in general could come across as not the most attractive, something kind of similar in Sakamoto, but I think they worked well in that they were not grotesque that they would be hard to look at, instead feelings like character you could like warts and all.

Not sure what I entirely think about it, but there is the good chance that this being connected to Barakamon is a bit of a distraction. I think really highly of Barakamon, it is one of my highest rated anime, but Handa-kun is kind of different and it eels like you might have been able to have had this show without it being connected. Although I did honestly enjoy the little touches kind of picked up from knowing him from that show. Things like his like of cats in the face that he is actually, his habit of saying grandiose sounding things without shame, his introverted nature, and insecurities. Also the great gag where the fortune teller mistakes the future with 7 children as something immoral. I like Handa so it was not so bad following even a past him.

I give a rating Good (7/10), definitely better than Sakamoto, it was a good watch, yet I don't think it quite did anything better to make it stand out further. One show I watched around the same time as Sakamoto was Tanaka-kun, which I rated higher because it really managed to sell a mood and tone, a real dedication. I actually do think that Handa-kun was showing some of this towards the end, like when it would have the words "Eraser" show up with the girl in a silly way, or like the strange beard growth of their teacher. I think place Handa-kun as a relatively strong Good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3