• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are High School Jobs Not Allowed In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
You do see kids in uniforms here outside of school hours, Osceola County requires them, but not on weekends.

Wow, this is one of the few things which I actually cannot even.

Answerman wrote:
If they get a job at McDonalds or something, suddenly that job becomes their identity, not being a student, and as far as the school is concerned that can only be a bad thing.

Clingy jealous school?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Student life in Japan looks absolutely oppressive compared my crappy experience with normal American public schooling, and anime portrays it like it's so fun and the best part of their lives that everyone want to return to. Does that mean normal working life is worse? At least in America the only bullies I had to worry about in school were the students... Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
The bans on dating that you see every so often could have been actually folded into this question too, since the answer would have been the same.

Wait, what's this about dating? I've never heard about this. Are Japanese students discouraged from dating outside their school community or something?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
PumpkinMouse wrote:
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
The bans on dating that you see every so often could have been actually folded into this question too, since the answer would have been the same.

Wait, what's this about dating? I've never heard about this. Are Japanese students discouraged from dating outside their school community or something?

Literally what it says. The school tells you that you can't have a girlfriend/boyfriend or any sort of relationship and would punish you for it if they found out. It would depend on the individual school though, not all of them are like that.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^

Not even anime portrays this on a grand scale. Only prudish student council committees try to enforce it with no success (Shimoneta being the prime example). Regardless, high school relationships aren't policed to the same extent as after school jobs.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Answerman wrote:
If they get a job at McDonalds or something, suddenly that job becomes their identity, not being a student, and as far as the school is concerned that can only be a bad thing.
Clingy jealous school?

Nope, Japanese culture - where your identity and status are defined by your job.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
While I can see the reasoning behind this and agree that while you are in uniform of anything not just school your conduct should reflect whats expected of you, but it's still ridiculous to me for them to practically ban the students from getting jobs since having a job also teaches them about added responsibility, how to conduct yourself in the workforce, and interact normally with people older then you since you are really only around people your age when in school.

All excellent points. As an educator in the US I do wish more children and teens were given some form of responsibility, as one does in a job, that helps teach them self-sufficiency, strengthens their social and time management skills, etc.
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I had thought it would just be to ensure the student had enough study hours (my American university forbade students from working more than 19 hours per week). But given how Japanese culture assumes your affiliated organizations sort of "own" you, and you are representing them in everything you do, it makes sense.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I always thought, a school forbidding students to have part time jobs was just an attempt to keep their grades high. which is plain essential to its reputation.

They want to sell themselves as having a very high college admission ratio or comparatively higher grades on their region, etc.

if they think a student getting a part time job is non beneficial then they just forbid it. don't like it? don't sign up your kid in there, such rule should have been written in the pamphlet.

I don't know how much of a factor the student's' performance is for the budget of each school in japan? but I am guessing it accounts highly for the personnel's' evaluation. Also, don't know how much freedom the principals have for their own individual school policies but considering over a third of high schools are private institutions, then it is no surprise at least 3/10 of them get to apply this rule no questions asked.

The issue is that most japanese people keep in very high regard a school's prestige. therefore they don't question the school's ways, if most of their students get accepted into college or land jobs quickly then they are doing something right better not try to change it
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not just K-12. I can tell you for a fact that here in the states if you go to certain schools under certain degree programs - law school is the first that comes to mind, but I've heard of others - you have to report to the school and get approval to attend the school while working even part-time. Failure to do so is a violation of the school's rules, the honor code, and could even mean that you may not be allowed to take the state Bar exam r get your law license.

I will add that I personally think the idea of having a job in high school as a means of fostering responsibility is generally not true, or at least not a significant consideration. It's usually a financial matter of the kid wanting more money than their parents can or want to give them for whatever reason it may be. It is often at low-wage jobs where they have little if any responsibility beyond showing up relatively on time and completing mostly unskilled chores. I'm not saying its bad experience - we all need that experience when we start out. I'm just saying that I don't really buy the "it builds character" argument, because that same structure exists in other outlets like clubs, or chores at home, that don't have that overwhelming profit motive.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, anime schools do seem to generally be in favour of students working at their parents restaurants or at maid cafes. I'd say the jobs that generally are frowned upon are the ones that might give characters a social circle outside of their club or classroom "friends." Can't be having that.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, another question that ultimately can be answered with "culture differences". Not that it is bad to ask things like this, I'm just pointing the obvious.
Schools over here usually allowed their students to do part time jobs after school, that is if they had spare time and aren't suppose to attend any extra classes and curriculum activities. I don't know if Chinese school around here make an exception regarding this as well because I'd never had a Chinese friend or attend/visit their schools back in my days. However, parents are quick to blame any school that their childs are affiliated with if they're injured by teachers or something like that, which resulted in the action of forbidding teachers from punishing their students that make predicament through slapping them in the face or any means that would make injuries. Though, this is just a general rule, and I believed that normal schools still allow their teachers to punished their students, as long as nobody is injured, which I guess is similar to everywhere else in the world. I had problem personally concerning the lack of communication between a student and a teacher after school unlike Japan where a teacher must take good care of the whole class but that's a topic too personal to endeavour through. If anyone wanted to talk about the regularity of conducting home visit, it never once happened in my personal life, and if it actually did happened, probably it was the result of severe actions comitted by a student which caused teachers to come over to talk about the problems with the student's parent. Discussion regarding grades are commonly at school only. On other hand, upon graduation, university and college freshmen can do whatever the hell they want without any lecturers to reprimand them, which I've supposed is the same elsewhere unless it's a private institution.

Last edited by Afezeria on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Quote:
We're used to teachers' responsibility to their students pretty much ending the minute the kids leave school.

Not sure if this holds true when Western teachers are reputed as being very hands-on and engaging to their students after class.

That varies from state to state, and school to school. But it is basically true. I had several children while in the military. So I got to see several school systems in several states. Sure there is after school programs, but when your child leaves the school or program, the teacher is gone from the equation.

I would also say, that if your teacher actually did a home visit, that would be considered unusual, and may warrant investigation. Sure there will be exceptions, especially in small or rural communities, but I think it is a fair statement.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
As someone else pointed out there are plenty of examples of anime with high school students with jobs. Its also true in Japan that you only have to attend though junior high school or middle school, high school isn't mandatory. So there are many high school aged kids with jobs. In Japan the stress is to be a productive member of society - so either work or educate your self so you can work. Hence the negative word/acronym NEET.

Reputation wise some high schools want their students not to have jobs. As getting good grades and getting into to top universities enhances the schools rep.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
As a teacher myself, this sounds like an absolute nightmare. It can be hard enough to keep kids on the straight and narrow when I'm on the clock, but being responsible for anything and everything they might do? That's sheer insanity. A teacher is not a parent, and shockingly enough, we try to have lives of our own beyond school too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5