• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
I can't really call Tanya evil at this point. Egoist, arrogant or prideful sure but the closest thing she's done to being evil is manipulating Captain Ugar in the cafe.

And kinda sending her subordinated to their deaths... and [expletive] up an employees life with gusto...

She sent them to a pillbox, not to their deaths, after they declined the punishment to go back home for their first act of insubordination. Also the guy that got fired was AWOL from work constantly and had poor performance for an extended period of time. No company would keep an employee like that around, it is true he could have been nicer about it tho.

That's douchbag level at best, not evil.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I can't really call Tanya evil at this point. Egoist, arrogant or prideful sure but the closest thing she's done to being evil is manipulating Captain Ugar in the cafe.

My hunch is that as time goes on (and Being X continues to make apparitions) Tanya will slowly but surely become more twisted, devious AND evil. In her former life as a salaryman he was ruthless, but inoffensive (i.e. he would not go out of his way to kick a dog IMO). Tanya has proven she can be vindictive and she is bound to amass more clout in the government, the ingredients of a cocktail molotov if you ask me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with ultimatehaki's point above, but somehow "The Saga of Tanya the Douchebag" doesn't have quite the same ... zing ... as "The Saga of Tanya the Evil."
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with ultimatehaki's point above, but somehow "The Saga of Tanya the Douchebag" doesn't have quite the same ... zing ... as "The Saga of Tanya the Evil."

Laughing you got me there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the evil thing comes from how others may see her, especially that one guy who sees her being brutal in training, and I imagine anyone who goes against her. Plus, what is "evil"? The implication is someone who goes against any good morals, and what could be more evil than trying to kill "god" who claims to be the one truth.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Love this series. I agree the latest episode was fairly epic despite the lack of battle.

Is anyone familiar with the concept of the Demiurge? I feel like maybe this is what the writers are going for with Being X. A divine being that believes himself the supreme God, but in actuality is just a flawed shadow. A vengeful god who punishes those who don't worship him. Man, I dig this show.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the highlights of the season. There's a lot to enjoy about this show but the little touches stood out by the end of the episode such as the high chair and her trouble reaching books on a shelf.

Last edited by dash56 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
The series' biggest flaw at this point comes from stretching its credibility thin about the way that so many ignore Tanya only being 10 years old, no matter her ability or clear genius.

I disagree just a little bit with this. I think several characters have lamented that she is so young with a few stating that they have daughters her age. Also some of the cadets in training didn't seem to want to take her seriously, because she was the age of their sister and further the men under her command who continued to be insubordinate may have felt they could disregard her because of her age. The other thing is that the HQ seems a little desperate and is willing to use any means to keep the enemy at bay, so using a child soldier becomes a little easier. She also doesn't act like a child and lets not forget that many people used to (and still do) regard children as something akin to small adults. However, having said that I would love someone to tell her no and give the reason as "because you're too young".

(minor point: isn't she supposed to be 11 not 10?)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
(minor point: isn't she supposed to be 11 not 10?)

I'm not in a position to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure that she was mentioned to be 10 in episode 3. Six months have passed, so she might be 11 by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
this show lacks romance Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
Why arn't there more series like this, with a calculating, intelligent, amoral, charismatic person as the main character. So far only code geass, death note and possibly mahouka koukou no rettousei are the only other series that come to mind when it comes to have cool main characters like this.

There's an overabundance of extremely shallow shonen protagonists in anime, even when most people seem to agree that the ones like in this series are so much more damn interesting and entertaining to watch. Need some more quality protagonists please.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall her ever being referred to as 11. She definitely said she was 9 at one point, during the training flashback presumably, and IIRC she said it was 10 years since she last encountered Sonzai X when he stepped in.

For the record, she was 7 when she conscripted: https://goo.gl/photos/UAiufVtFH7Tq9hJN9
(I've seen screenshotting all text, but everything past ep 1 is still on my console)

--edit--

It bothered me, so I checked. She was born in 1913. She received her medal in 1923 while she was still 9. Episodes 1&3 are both set in 1924 and she is 10. While Episode 4 skips 6 months it is still 1924, so without knowing what month it is now and what month she was born in, she could be either 10 or 11, but I didn't see it started either way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
According to the novel she's 11 years old at this time (EP 4)
Daolong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't see being x as a old testament or Buddhist deity... I see x as a Terry Pratchet style "death is an overworked and underappreciated public servant" kind of deity. Completely hilarious unless you are the person that annoyed said public servant. Basically Tanya is discovering what happens if you piss of a DMV worker with phenomenal cosmic powers and some work stress they have been looking to blow off.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, I agree with everyone else, episode one did nothing for me, dismissed it as another cute girl doing things show, this one being cute girl does war.

But then I kept hearing "watch episode two, get to episode two!" and holy hell, this show actually has something to say other than "buy the figurine lol." So far the writing has been pretty strong, and the animation is lovely. Yes the character designs are off-putting but that feels deliberate, like they wanted everyone to feel a little wrong. I doubt you'll find many pin-ups of the girls in this show because they're just uncomfortable to look at. Not in a grotesque way, but just off enough so that your brain is pinging there's something wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15