• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia - Season One Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
MHA really didn't work for me. Big part of that was the pacing that was already highlighted (I remember thinking the first two episodes could have been done in half an episode with room to spare) but this only feed into my biggest problem with the series, which most likely translate to the manga, to me this show is the perfect example of a "tell, don't show" kind of story.

Every message is repeated on and on at nausea but nothing is actually backed up by the the actual event that happen in the story. I agree that the message the story want to say is that heroism is about inspiration, but I only know that because the show was constantly telling me about its message, not because that's what the story actually says. Ultimately Midori wasn't able to become a hero because all might inspired him, but rather because all might gave him his power, except that's something that can only be done once to one person and didn't require Midori to be inspired at all (and in fact giving it to Midori is probably the worse possibility). And trough the story Midori just win because he has overwhelming power, not because he inspires others. Yes his power have drawback, but there's so strong that he only need one shoot to win. All might himself isn't the greatest hero because he's the most inspirational, he is because he's the most successful (which again come back to his power being amazingly good), if anything he's inspirational solely because of his prowess. The real message of the show is closer to "results are everything" or "luck is all that matters".

This extend to almost all aspect of the story, for example we're constantly told Bakugo power are amazing, yet they're incredibly weak, he lose all the fight he's in and generally he's less effective at being a hero than a normal person with a gun, oh and also apparently in that world bully can become hero (once again power > inspiration, except for the fact that his power are super weak but the story doesn't realize that).

Have we been watching the same show?

Though out of all the points you raised, I'd like to address the idea that All Might is the greatest because he's the most successful. That's not the case. It's outright mentioned by Midoriya in one of the early episodes that the most successful hero is Endeavor, who has the most successes ever, despite being in the business for less time then All Might. Yet, he's relegated to the #2 position.
Bartholomew Kuma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Haikyuu! also aired at daytime but I don't recall if it had any pacing issues.

Haikyuu also followed the "two chapter per episode" format yet nobody cared the last season had to adapt 5 chapters per episode because the match they were covering was running for an entire year in Jump. "Pacing" only ever becomes a issues when you feel like bringing it up it seems.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
Quote:
it takes nearly forever for anything to happen - the show is full of repeated, unnecessary flashbacks, long pans that kill dramatic tension, and sequences where single-panel gags are stretched out over far too many seconds of screen time.

My main problem with Boku no Hero Academia right here. I'd also like to mention the constant need for characters to explain what's going on in a fight, but I know that's shounen logic. It's just that it can get too ridicolous sometimes, especially in season 2.

Other than that I love this show. It has become one of my favourites. It's impossible not to love these kids. As for the grading, I'd personally give the animation in S1 an A- Razz

not necessarily. while the pacing is kinda slow, better that than the series going down either a massive long one year hiatus or longs ala attack of titan , or doing the ever annoying filler route like naruto and bleach.

Quote:
Nagasaki's prior claim to fame was directing Gundam Build Fighters, a generally acclaimed series suffused with exactly the kind of youthful energy something like My Hero Academia needed.

actually their polar opposites of those series. while both have youthful energy with their kids casts, there were a crapload of flaws in build fighters that wasnt in academia. its clear he learned from his mistakes from that series and didn't include them into this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
A lot of you guys don't realize how short My Hero Academia Story's arcs are. The arcs are way shorter than other shonen and pacing is 2 chapters which is good. I'm glad they are not rushing the content doing 4 chapters an episode. Doing more than 2 chapters an every episode would also break the pace of the show since the arcs are short. Think of ending a season half way through an arc. I do wish the first season was 24 episodes instead of 13, but I trust Bones a lot more than other studios. Just be glad A1, Toei, or Perriot didn't get it. RIP Black Clover.

I would also argue My Hero Academia has less action than other Battle Shonen.

Also, I don't feel characters explain everything or events are dragged out.

- Just Thoughts from a Manga Reader
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Gore17 wrote:

Though out of all the points you raised, I'd like to address the idea that All Might is the greatest because he's the most successful. That's not the case. It's outright mentioned by Midoriya in one of the early episodes that the most successful hero is Endeavor, who has the most successes ever, despite being in the business for less time then All Might. Yet, he's relegated to the #2 position.

And I'm sure he would have been just as inspirational if he had been number 500, right? Or really, anything outside the top 10.

@zrnzle As far as Bakugo power being weakest, iirc he has two power, small explosion if he touch something or throw explosion using his costume (which he can only do once per arm every so often). Point is, a guy with a knife and a gun is a more effective hero than that. Knife is essentially equivalent to Bakugo explosion and gun is flat out superior to his range attack since you can have more than 2 shots. In a rescue situation (say collapse building), you can't use explosion or you risk harming the people you're trying to save, so then he's just regular dude (side note, his character arc would have been a billion time more interesting if he had a different sets of power and over the story he realize that his power suck at fighting but are really useful at rescuing), even if they somehow needed to use explosive to rescue people, they'd just use regular explosive since there easier to control (just like Bakugo need to physically reach the location of the disaster, they can instead just have someone deliver the right quantity of explosive).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
@meiam His explosions have more power and range than a knife (at least comparable to a grenade at worst, and he doesn't need direct contact either) and he shows techniques later which are more powerful than just the basic explosions, though he is mostly a close range fighter. He can also use his explosions to maneuver. His powers aren't very suited to rescue missions, certainly, but that isn't the only role superheros have. Sometimes you just need a guy to beat up the bad guys, and he is certainly capable of that, though he needs more training to do so at a professional level, but then again that's why he's in school.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Bartholomew Kuma wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Haikyuu also followed the "two chapter per episode" format yet nobody cared the last season had to adapt 5 chapters per episode because the match they were covering was running for an entire year in Jump. "Pacing" only ever becomes a issues when you feel like bringing it up it seems.

Mate the pacing depends on the content and not the number of chapters adapted in an episode.
Bartholomew Kuma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Bartholomew Kuma wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Mate the pacing depends on the content and not the number of chapters adapted in an episode.

That's the same thing. If the content interests you you won't care about how much is being covered in the episode but if it doesn't you'll complain about how slow its moving.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
actually their polar opposites of those series. while both have youthful energy with their kids casts, there were a crapload of flaws in build fighters that wasnt in academia. its clear he learned from his mistakes from that series and didn't include them into this one.

I think Build Fighters did have a bunch of things that weren't good but overall I liked it better than MHA's first season. I don't really remember any faults from Build Fighters that I'd blame on the director, but rather on the writer -Yousuke Kuroda. He also works on MHA but since it's an adaptation there's very little he can do to screw up the script, I suppose.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

I think Build Fighters did have a bunch of things that weren't good but overall I liked it better than MHA's first season. I don't really remember any faults from Build Fighters that I'd blame on the director, but rather on the writer -Yousuke Kuroda. He also works on MHA but since it's an adaptation there's very little he can do to screw up the script, I suppose.

No this is why: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/06-1/bones-studio-panel-at-machi-asobi-vol-16-reveals-rapid-production-schedules

There were barely any chapters when the anime started in per production.
Bartholomew Kuma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

I think Build Fighters did have a bunch of things that weren't good but overall I liked it better than MHA's first season. I don't really remember any faults from Build Fighters that I'd blame on the director , but rather on the writer -Yousuke Kuroda. He also works on MHA but since it's an adaptation there's very little he can do to screw up the script, I suppose.

The series feels like its running on auto-pilot after the first Mejin battle until the Fellini one not really elevating itself beyond just being a regular children's battle anime sharing the same flaws and all (how every battle is finished with a stock super finishing move) but with Gundam references. In a way it was the opposite of MHA where it sped through a lot to get from point A to point B and as a result most of the fights wind up feeling rushed and less polish as a result. I feel like GBF gets a lot of slack because it came after AGE so a surprisingly good tournament anime wind up being better than the most disappointing mainline series we've had since Destiny but then again GBF still looks good in comparison to all the recent Gundam offerings.
Gore17

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Gore17 wrote:

And I'm sure he would have been just as inspirational if he had been number 500, right? Or really, anything outside the top 10.

...He's number 1 because he's inspirational, not the other way around. Remember, there were One for All users before him, yet they never had the success he had, despite them having the same power.

Also, you're underestimating Bakugo's power/
cutslo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
Bartholomew Kuma wrote:
"Pacing" only ever becomes a issues when you feel like bringing it up it seems.

Anything only ever becomes an issue when you feel like bringing it up. It's an issue if it feels off in practice (which would then motivate you to bring it up), not if you put the numbers into your calculator and get an unfavorable result.

And no matter how much people say "show X is slower" or "show Y was too fast though" or "the ratio of chapters/episode was the same in show Z and people liked that" or even "well it's because of the timeslot/demographic/fear of filler", all of that is just trivia. It's too slow if the audience feels it's too slow, no matter what the circumstances are or what everyone else does.
Bartholomew Kuma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
Bartholomew Kuma wrote:
"Pacing" only ever becomes a issues when you feel like bringing it up it seems.

Anything only ever becomes an issue when you feel like bringing it up. It's an issue if it feels off in practice (which would then motivate you to bring it up), not if you put the numbers into your calculator and get an unfavorable result.

And no matter how much people say "show X is slower" or "show Y was too fast though" or "the ratio of chapters/episode was the same in show Z and people liked that" or even "well it's because of the timeslot/demographic/fear of filler", all of that is just trivia. It's too slow if the audience feels it's too slow, no matter what the circumstances are or what everyone else does.

What audience? If you can't objectify its slow pacing than its really your problem and not with the show itself. People are going to make app comparisons with shows that also get criticized for pacing issues and come to the conclusion that the people complaining either don't watch many shounen adaptations or worse yet don't watch anime in general (people have gone so far to complain about recaps in the beginning of an episode something that's common for every anime) so yeah what exactly makes the pacing here any worse than the pacing you get from an average adaptation? Because that seems to be a question people have difficulty answering.
cutslo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The creative aspects of a piece of media are inherently subjective, sorry. Any discussion about pacing (and other things, for example the character design, which is a widely liked aspect of MHA) always boils down to my taste > your taste and it's much better to implicitly acknowledge that, otherwise you can't talk about it at all. So you don't have a problem with it, that's totally okay dude. But the statement "it must be objectively okay because other Jump Shounen would also be awful then" has a pretty clear reply and I don't think you'd like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3