• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gamers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How could she possibly think he was cruel enough to ask her for advice on how to turn herself down? oO And when he made it even clearer that wasn't his intent, she hung up on him! That goes way beyond insecure, right into box of sand stupidity.

If he'd said he was "asking for a friend," that would have legit been way more suspicious. Smile Quick thinking on Keita's part!

We already know Karen is super self-conscious about their relationship so she's obviously going to assume the worst. Plus we all know how socially inept Keita is so him asking something like that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
I think the funniest part of the episode was Karen and Tasuku supportively winking at each other. How the others remained oblivious to it, I'll never know.

I didn't much enjoy Konoha and Chiaki's contributions. Chiaki missed her chance, and Konoha should stop sabotaging their relationship to create an opening her sister won't (and shouldn't) step through.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I didn't much enjoy Konoha and Chiaki's contributions. Chiaki missed her chance, and Konoha should stop sabotaging their relationship to create an opening her sister won't (and shouldn't) step through.

While i agree about Konoha being out of line, Chiaki shouldn't have let that "opening" go to waste. There wasn't even a need to confess, just telling him that she's actually Mono/Nobe would have been enough. It's not realistically possible to keep this a secret forever anyhow. But i guess the show wanted to save some "love troubles" for the final ep...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for this show to be over. I've basically liked it, but I'm full. Only my cpmpletist nature is keeping me around. If this was a 2-cours, it'd be dropped.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Chiaki shouldn't have let that "opening" go to waste.

Oh, I agree with that, but that's not what I meant by she missed her chance. Once she realized she was attracted to Keita, it was too late, since Karen beat her to it. When that happens, you suck it up and either move on or stay in the friend zone, unless or until they break up. You don't try to wreck their relationship so you can step into the breach.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Merida wrote:
Chiaki shouldn't have let that "opening" go to waste.

Oh, I agree with that, but that's not what I meant by she missed her chance. Once she realized she was attracted to Keita, it was too late, since Karen beat her to it. When that happens, you suck it up and either move on or stay in the friend zone, unless or until they break up. You don't try to wreck their relationship so you can step into the breach.

Eh, I say she should just go for it and get those feelings out there. Burying them doesn't do anybody any good. Just get them out there, get rejected, and keep pushing. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a bunch of what-ifs and what could have beens.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm just waiting for this show to be over. I've basically liked it, but I'm full. Only my cpmpletist nature is keeping me around. If this was a 2-cours, it'd be dropped.

Yeah same, they really ran out of steam after the confession and now it just feel like filler to have 12 episodes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Eh, I say she should just go for it and get those feelings out there. Burying them doesn't do anybody any good. Just get them out there, get rejected, and keep pushing. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a bunch of what-ifs and what could have beens.

I totally disagree with this. The only causes I can think of for doing something like that is if he were in a unhealthy/destructive relationship, and he's not. It's not cool to sabotage someone's relationship for such selfish reasons. I would think much less of her if she were to attempt to do that. If his current relationship falls apart, OTOH, then it's open season.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It's not cool to sabotage someone's relationship for such selfish reasons. I would think much less of her if she were to attempt to do that. If his current relationship falls apart, OTOH, then it's open season.

How would confessing her feelings be "sabotaging the relationship"? It always takes two to tango after all and if Keita is happy with Karen there's nothing to fear, no? He could just turn Chiaki down, she'd get closure and everybody would be happy (or unhappy, but ready to move on at the very least)...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It's not cool to sabotage someone's relationship for such selfish reasons. I would think much less of her if she were to attempt to do that. If his current relationship falls apart, OTOH, then it's open season.

How would confessing her feelings be "sabotaging the relationship"? It always takes two to tango after all and if Keita is happy with Karen there's nothing to fear, no? He could just turn Chiaki down, she'd get closure and everybody would be happy (or unhappy, but ready to move on at the very least)...

Same. I would think of better of Chiaki if she came right out and said it because that takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there like that (at least in my eyes). I'd much rather have her just get it off her chest than just sit, plot, and hope Karen and Keita to fall apart. That would basically influence every interaction she has with them and make her a terrible friend.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
How would confessing her feelings be "sabotaging the relationship"?

It wouldn't sabotage his relationship with Karen, but it would make things really awkward going forward for him and Chiaki. I don't see anything to be gained by it, unless she can't bear to be around him as his friend and not as his girlfriend. In that case, he deserves an explanation.

Since we don't do concurrent courtship anymore, in practical terms his being in a relationship with Karen is a rejection, as long as that relationship stands. Why would she need to hear him say it as well?

@ Marc: Or she could keep it to herself (or vent to Konoha), get a grip, and not sit and plot and hope for them to break up.

Why do Keita's feelings not matter in this? This isn't the same as screwing up your courage to take a risk on something that could end happily (see Tsuredure Children for more!). I think it's really selfish to put someone on the spot by confessing to them when you know they can't return your feelings. And as far as I have seen, it never makes the confessor feel any better about the situation.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since we don't do concurrent courtship anymore, in practical terms his being in a relationship with Karen is a rejection, as long as that relationship stands. Why would she need to hear him say it as well?

Because she doesn't want to regret not having tried? Because it might help her move on? It might be "selfish", but she's a teenage girl, not a saint...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
You don't need to be a saint to refrain from trying to poach someone already in a relationship. I don't see how hearing him say, "Sorry, I have a girlfriend" helps her move on when she can already see with her own eyes that that's the case. And I don't see what good it does either of them for her to confess in this situation.

It's one thing to make your feelings known when your love interest is single - you took a chance, got shot down (or didn't - yay!), but feel glad they knew how you felt (I wouldn't, but I get that people do). But it's quite another when they're not single. You either know you're going to get shot down, or worse, if they dump their current love for you, then you just found out they're the kind of person who'd dump their love at the drop of a hat for the next person who confesses. Yeah, that's not a red flag...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a dog in this fight because I consider Keita, Karen and Chiaki to be a trio of fairly dull simps, but in fairness to Chiaki, I don't get the sense she is actively trying to break up the stultifyingly sterile and tedious "relationship" that Keita and Karen are supposedly in. Mostly she still seems to be reeling from the revelation that the "hated" RL Keita is her online bud of several years and she's being lead around by the nose by her sister for clunky plot reasons. Left to her own devices, I'm sure she'd simply sit in her room with a blank stare as is her wont.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
It really just feels like this series has been treading water for quite a few episodes. I thought the amusement park would be different since it was a double date but Chiaki and Konoha still manage to show up and the end result is more of the same. I don't understand why Tendou/Amano and Aguri/Uehara don't have more time onscreen together. They are far more likely to be hanging out with someone else of the opposite sex than the one they are dating. As with Blood-, I think I'm just ready for this to end since it just seems to be repeating the same pattern over and over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7