• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Even Boys Can Become Princesses!': Hugtto! Precure Anime Stands Up to Traditional Gender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
The episode was much more about Emiru and girls in general than crossdressing and LGBT rights. Henri is a model, so sometimes he wears feminine clothes more because it fashionable.

I’m sorry, you must also be confused! Please quote the part of my post where I said it was about LGBT rights or cross dressing, as opposed to correcting someone about what literally happened in the episode. (Unless you can point out the scene in EP19 where there was a discussion about Emiru playing an electric guitar?)

Please make sure to read carefully and quote the right person next time if you want to have a discussion. Otherwise you look really foolish when you try to “correct” people over things they didn’t say.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This was very cool to see.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It's like a la mode when boys become girls right?
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Wyvern"]
Stuart Smith wrote:

Cross-dressing has nothing to do with sexuality or gender identity, which is why people oppose to it being co-opted by the LGBT people.

I don't think LGBT people can "co-opt" something that they practically invented.

You have to remember that for centuries, "crossdressing" was one of the only ways for trans people and gender nonconforming folks to express themselves openly. A lot of those folks weren't as "straight" as you think they were.

LGBT people didn't invent cross dressing. its existed for a long time for various reasons outside of gender identity, perhaps even before the concept of gender identity was even discovered. cross dressing has nothing to do with what you identify as as anyone can wear clothes intended for men or women and thats why cross dressing has very little to do with the LGBT community. While it can serve as a journey for discovery of ones gender identity and sexuality, that doesnt mean cross dressing is an LGBT thing. Its weird how you said it so confidently too like you know for a fact that cross dressing was " practically invented " by lgbt people. A man in a dress isnt necessarily LGBT just like a woman in a suit similarly isnt. Clothes do not determine gender identity. Cross dressing cannot be co opted by the LGBT commnity because again it has very little to do with it.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Hit me back up when they finally let a male character become a precure.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I find it really irritating that this website loves bringing up news about Precure like ">male Precure" and "breaking traditional gender roles." Yet, they did not bother making an article of Mahou Tsukai Precure featuring two girls taking care of a baby like a happy same-sex couple. I guess Anime News Network does not like their Precure to be yuri. I am very sorry for this and I am going to get into trouble but I had to point out this ignorance.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ya guys gotta stop trying to presume the entire staff as a whole hates xyz for whatever reason. I definitely don't hate yuri in either anime or manga form which is pretty self-evident from any reviews I post. I actually don't know of anyone on staff that outright even DISLIKES yuri in the same way you sometimes hear about people disliking yaoi.

So, no you're not "in trouble" but the idea that the staff dislikes yuri because none of us could have legally watched the previous season and follow along is a stretch. I'm aware that two girls in the previous season had an out and out romantic relationship but I only found out after the fact when I saw stuff on Twitter. These are the kinds of things that make great e-mail leads if people want to send them to my desk at Interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thaumana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Proud to be a Precure fan at moments like these. Such statements are nothing that should be talked down. It's a huge step - not only regarding genre conventions. It is similar to my experience why I always had to justify to watch heart lighted magical girl series while my buddies could only tolerate either Sailor Moon because of its nostalgic value or those shows which have a more darker, edgier tone and a certain amount of violence in it - because it seemed to be more acceptable as male to consume such kind of anime.

Every Precure show always contains a few aspects of progress towards their predecessor shows, let me reflect about my social perception, and that's what I especially enjoyed about the series compared to other magical girl shows.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Ya guys gotta stop trying to presume the entire staff as a whole hates xyz for whatever reason. I definitely don't hate yuri in either anime or manga form which is pretty self-evident from any reviews I post. I actually don't know of anyone on staff that outright even DISLIKES yuri in the same way you sometimes hear about people disliking yaoi.

So, no you're not "in trouble" but the idea that the staff dislikes yuri because none of us could have legally watched the previous season and follow along is a stretch. I'm aware that two girls in the previous season had an out and out romantic relationship but I only found out after the fact when I saw stuff on Twitter. These are the kinds of things that make great e-mail leads if people want to send them to my desk at Interest.

Thank you for the quick reply. Mahou Tsukai Precure was popular because it had two young girls raising a magical baby girl together, a reminiscent of same-sex parents raising a baby which is a LGBT theme. Fans from Japan and other countries talked about it and it was very much the Precure where yuri is genuine. That for me is more than just "great e-mail leads". Then again, Precure has been doing yuri since its inception and most of the yuri moments were never news-worthy apart from the entirety of Mahou Tsukai. Precure's treatment of yuri is questionable at best because it was just cheap subtext and stuff
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
You must be confused. It happens!

In EP19, her older brother didn't want her to participate in a modeling show that had the tagline "girls can become heroes" because he believed "hero" was a word that only men could use. Earlier in the episode, he also gave Henri a hard time, since his school uniform had elements of the girls uniform. Henri also wore the dress in the fashion show itself.

I'd advise paying closer attention to when you're watching Hugtto in the future, that way you won't make such obvious mistakes over the content of the episode under discussion.

I'd appreciate any further responses to be without the snark, thank you.

Henri, Emiru, and Masato are all recurring characters. You got to look at the series as a whole so far, not just one episode out of context. Masato has been established as being very traditional and strict to people. Whether it's scolding Henri for wearing his tie differently than other male classmates to telling Emiru what's ladylike. In that regard then yeah, I'd say they're obviously setting up Masato to have his notion of gender roles changed and have him grow to be more open minded. I just disagree about the article that it's about boys dressing as girls or whatever the headline is meant to imply to get people to click on it. Like people said it was obviously a joke.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Like people said it was obviously a joke.

There is no "obviously a joke" here. I'm fluent in Japanese and I watch the show. For one, Henri is repeatedly shown wearing his guy's uniform looser and tying his cardigan around his waste like a skirt. It makes him look like a girl and it's no mistake that he's drawn with feminine eyelashes. Regardless, the "princess" line was not a joke of any sort. See below (since it feels like people ignored my post):

Juno016 wrote:
1) Clarification: "Princess" was "hime" in the Japanese, and along with "otome" (maiden), often refers to a damsel in distress. It wasn't really a pun, but a lack of a word for "damsel" in Japanese. So when he says "I guess I'm the damsel/princess now. Please save me!", the reply "Guys can be princesses, too!" is associating the two as a single concept.

Also, @John Hayabusa, I mean abolutely no disrespect, but the mahou tsukai girls were not ever said to be lesbians, nor that heavily hinted to be. The physical closeness of young girls in Japan is naturally like their relationship. Of course, two girls raising Hana is unique, but it's never portrayed as an LGBT issue in the show. I certainly missed any comments from the Japanese on it, too. This new Hugtto episode has made its rounds online, though.

Once again, I should emphasize to everyone here that this episode DID explicitely tackle gender issues. While the original theme is about Emiru's wish to be a hero ("'Hero' is a word made for boys"), Henri is explicitely a crossdresser and a genuine one at that. Emiru's issues may be the relevant plot focus since she's an MC, but Henri's gender expression also took center stage for this particular episode.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

There is no "obviously a joke" here. I'm fluent in Japanese and I watch the show. For one, Henri is repeatedly shown wearing his guy's uniform looser and tying his cardigan around his waste like a skirt. It makes him look like a girl and it's no mistake that he's drawn with feminine eyelashes. Regardless, the "princess" line was not a joke of any sort. See below (since it feels like people ignored my post):

1) Clarification: "Princess" was "hime" in the Japanese, and along with "otome" (maiden), often refers to a damsel in distress. It wasn't really a pun, but a lack of a word for "damsel" in Japanese. So when he says "I guess I'm the damsel/princess now. Please save me!", the reply "Guys can be princesses, too!" is associating the two as a single concept.

I mean it's the opposite of "even girls can be heroes", which was the theme of the episode. Henri became the damsel in distress and he said "I guess I'm the princess that needs rescuing now" Hana saying "even boys can be princesses" seems like a jab at the reverse of the moral "even girls can be heroes" "girls can be heroes, and even boys can be princesses (that need rescuing)"

Quote:
Once again, I should emphasize to everyone here that this episode DID explicitely tackle gender issues. While the original theme is about Emiru's wish to be a hero ("'Hero' is a word made for boys"), Henri is explicitely a crossdresser and a genuine one at that. Emiru's issues may be the relevant plot focus since she's an MC, but Henri's gender expression also took center stage for this particular episode.

Calling him an 'explicit crossdresser' is a bit of a premature statement. So far both his skating uniform and his casual clothing are mens attire. I find it a bit of a stretch to say the sweater tied around his waist is supposed to be a skirt. It's a pretty common thing for kids to do, and is shown in other anime as well. He's still wearing a boy's uniform at the end of the day.

The only to times we've seen him actually wear a dress is in episode 8 which seems like he was joking around until he dropped his cutsey act and asked Homare directly if she was still serious about skating or not. In 19 he only put on the wedding dress because he overheard Masato berating the others and wanted to prove a point to him on how you should do what you want regardless of what people think. If he ever actually shows up in casual women's clothing instead of his coat and pantsn, then sure, but both times seems to have circumstantial situations surrounding them. We don't exactly know what his recreational hobbies are besides skating.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
For one, the line was never treated as a joke. It was in line with the main theme. Hana said it to reassure him. If it wasn't genuine or was a joke, then that would muddy the theme.

We have plenty more evidence that Henri is a crossdresser. The modifying of his school outfit does make him look like a girl and that exact point is mentioned by Masato. The runway show designer of the dress makes it clear when she mentiones the dress she made is for the "goddesses" and that, as such, it would look perfect on Henri. More importantly, when he is captured, he tells Masato's oshimaida that he does not plan to change who he is, no matter how Masato feels. In that case, if he's not talking about wearing women's clothes as part of his identity, then what else does it mean? You're right that this episode didn't focus only on Henri's crossdressing, but his identity as a crossdresser took up a big chunk of the thematic screentime and was used as the inspiration for Emiru to both participate in the show and for Lulu and her to decide become heroes. Throughout the previous episodes, Henri's identity has been sprinkled out and hinted, but nothing was ever that clear until this episode. I expect him to be a bit more open about it from here on, too.

I don't watch the show with subs, so I don't know if the fan translation contributed to any misunderstanding or wasn't clear enough. Regardless, it's really hard to interpret the Japanese any other way.

Personally, I'm just surprised a popular children's show gave us a character like this without resorting to turning him into an okama, drag queen, or flamboyently gay dude. It's not that okama (etc.) can't be genuine, but people like Henri who act normal otherwise also exist in Japan. I think the general online response on matome and LINE news is a testament to that.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply. Mahou Tsukai Precure was popular because it had two young girls raising a magical baby girl together, a reminiscent of same-sex parents raising a baby which is a LGBT theme. Fans from Japan and other countries talked about it and it was very much the Precure where yuri is genuine. That for me is more than just "great e-mail leads". Then again, Precure has been doing yuri since its inception and most of the yuri moments were never news-worthy apart from the entirety of Mahou Tsukai. Precure's treatment of yuri is questionable at best because it was just cheap subtext and stuff

I always have to have a skeptical, critical eye when someone claims a show, a magical girl no less, is yuri. Nanoha, Madoka, and even Magical Girl Raising Project are claimed to have yuri in them, yet from what I've gathered, the chances of actually being there are 0% or to soften it a little, extremely dubious at best.
How is this any different from any other ones?

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me of a quote from one of the last episodes of the 3rd season of Symphogear where one of the characters state that it doesn't matter what kind of genital organs you have attached. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5