• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Adds Content Warning to Goblin Slayer 1st Ep

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I can see the warning was put there, given how dark and violent the series is. On the other hand, wouldn't this logic say that CR put on a warning on all of their harem and fan-service shows, seeing how some of them do have sex scenes ("Shinmai", for example)? Still another thing to factor is that is important that a potential viewer research what they can about the show just in case it may have content they don't agree with.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

...also the concept of Goblin Slayer sounds pretty misogynistic, so I don't really understand the impulse to defend it, especially when it's not being attacked.

Surely it would be misogynistic if it were being glorifying or promoting violence against women, but it appears that the whole point that said concept is evil and the characters are trying to stamp it out.

A program that contains offensive content is not necessarily endorsing it. It all depends on how that content is portrayed within the show.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does it seem like the reason for the goblins being rapists sound like a bad hentai plot?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
On the other hand, wouldn't this logic say that CR put on a warning on all of their harem and fan-service shows, seeing how some of them do have sex scenes ("Shinmai", for example)?.

Yes, which is why they almost always do (or, like in this case, forget to and are prodded by others to add one).
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Crunchyroll shouldn't hold this type of content on their website, period!!! Already cancelled my and my family's subscription!

Ummm....do you even anime?

This is not an ironic question. I ask because violence, language, sexually explicit situations (consensual and non-consensual) have been a part of anime since jump-street. Not all anime are slice of life, nor are they all happy-go-lucky about a boy and a girl falling in love but can't admit their feelings for 5000+ episodes.

Hold this type of content? They would have to get rid of a majority of their titles to even get CLOSE to a PG-RATING due to violence alone. Unless you only draw the line at sexual scenarios? Yet that doesn't make sense, why would you view strong language and gruesome violence differently? Drawing the line at one type of violence makes the opposite of sense.

In that light, your anger at Crunchyroll appears nonsensical. It seems to me that this is entirely YOUR fault for not knowing what anime is and always has been. There is a reason teenagers get into this stuff, because some of this content scratches an itch for more "adult" scenarios and shows. There is a reason why some of the most famous and critically acclaimed anime and manga are FILLED with this kind of content (And need I remind you that animenewsnetwork have rained praise upon these VERY shows).

Even stories like One Piece, which looks to include a wide audience of different ages, had a scene in the last arc where someone ATE all their friends alive without realizing it or hearing their screams of agony. Even newer shonun like Black Clover have a villain motivated by the slaughter of his entire race. A massacre that killed women and children.

Cancel your subscription, but why stop there? I recommend you and your family stop watching anime all together.

Back on topic: This makes sense for Crunchyroll to do this. I have a feeling this will just rile up the defenders for Goblin Slayer (they are just as sensitive as the detractors) as seen in this very comment section. Although one does wonder if the people at Cruncyroll even view the content they are posting so they understand/know what is within it and aren't blind-sided by outrage. A disclaimer at the very beginning would have made all the fault fall on the people who didn't like the content to begin with, but watched anyway.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

He's 11.

Eh, kind of on the borderline, but he's probably old enough to know that sex exists and rape is bad. It's not like Goblin Slayer is showing the actual penetration or anything.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay then... still you know what would really help? PUT THE PROPER AGE RATING ON THE SERIES! Seriously seeing Goblin Slayer pop-up with PG rating is really bad on your end Crunchy-roll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
They already have one -- if you go into account settings, under Video Preferences there's an option for a mature content filter. I'm guessing most people turn it off when they set up their account and never think of it again.
I have heard that Crunchyroll didn't use the mature content rating with Goblin Slayer and part of the issue is that it only has two settings (on and off). An age ratings system should have multiple settings and individual controls for foul language, sex, and violence. I have no problem with an age ratings system as long as it can be turned completely off.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

...also the concept of Goblin Slayer sounds pretty misogynistic, so I don't really understand the impulse to defend it, especially when it's not being attacked.

Surely it would be misogynistic if it were being glorifying or promoting violence against women, but it appears that the whole point that said concept is evil and the characters are trying to stamp it out.

A program that contains offensive content is not necessarily endorsing it. It all depends on how that content is portrayed within the show.
Well from what I heard the female characters always get the worst of everything in that series, while Goblin Slayer goes in and saves the day. So even if they are depicting what's happening to the girls are bad, it still comes down to the strong guy being the hero. Not to mention the whole concept of the Goblins essentially being hentai monsters and the art being ecchi screams multiple fetishes. So you can't blame people for viewing the series as being misogynistic.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with warnings. What an odd thing for people to complain about. Do agree with whiskeyii that the warning's pretty vague, though.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

He's 11.

Eh, kind of on the borderline, but he's probably old enough to know that sex exists and rape is bad. It's not like Goblin Slayer is showing the actual penetration or anything.

I guess it depends on the parents and them to stress that rape is wrong to do in real life. I mean I was 11 and I still was unable to read Blame! because of violence. Even though I understood what violence was. I wasn’t even able to watch pg-13 stuff until I was 15 and adult stuff until I was 19
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
There's nothing wrong with warnings. What an odd thing for people to complain about. Do agree with whiskeyii that the warning's pretty vague, though.

I don't have a problem with warnings either....but it's REAAAALY annoying when an episode warning spoils something. Especially if it's many episodes into a show and the fact that you're watching that far into a show is a pretty clear indicator that you're OK with that show's content.

Warnings are fine, just don't word them poorly enough to spoil things.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The age-rating systems for Western movies and video games have plenty of their own issues--like being run by a secret group of people who are often sexist and/or fundamentalist Christians--but anime has nothing of the sort, so practically everything besides Ghibli movies is unrated. I get that not knowing what you're getting into is part of the fun of it, but unexpected violent rape scenes, for many people, are less "fun" and more "time to reallocate some of my anime budget to therapy sessions." I'd argue that we need very specific content warnings for that type of thing, and/or an option in your account to hide/label shows in that category.

The problem is that ratings/seals of approval, even when started with the best of intentions, have a long history of being co-opted by bigots.

* Richard Brooks' novel The Brick Foxhole, about a hate crime against a gay soldier in WWII, had to be changed to a story of anti-Semitism when it was turned into a movie because the Hays Code didn't permit homosexuality to be portrayed. Lillian Hellman's play The Children's Hour received similar treatment in its first adaptation.

* The Comics Code Authority refused a seal of approval for EC's Judgment Day in 1953 because the protagonist was a black man -- this wasn't even a violation of the Code, just the administrators being racist and getting away with it because they held all the power.

* Midnight Cowboy was rated X in 1969 simply for a scene that implied gay sex was taking place.

* After the music industry introduced the Parental Advisory label in the '80s, a number of major retailers refused to carry anything with the label.

It's easy to say Goblin Slayer should be behind some kind of content filter, but if that happens don't be surprised if Bloom Into You, Citrus and Yuri Kuma Arashi gets the same treatment. The bigots already tried to get LGBT visual novels banned by Steam, and nearly succeeded but for the public outcry.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

I am very much against adding warnings. They're annoying to normal people, and they let other people hide rather than watch entertaining shows.

Concerning being annoying to "normal" people, I would ask how so? From my experience warnings are either mention before a show/film starts or if we are using ratings appear on the left side of a screen for a few seconds before disappearing. The only way I can see this being annoying is if they were to plaster the warning in front view of the screen as the show/film is starting resulting in blocking the view. It's much like what I have been going through with watching the latest anime of the season on Amazon video (though in that case they are just posting a warning about stealing the video and stuff like that). However I have yet to have seen warnings and ratings being display this way. If you have you can let me know.

Concerning that these warnings can turn people away you have to be considerate in that not everyone is at a place in which they can handle content like what was shown in episode 1 of Goblin Slayer. Besides even if those warnings were not in place or those people decide to watch it anyway despite the warnings there is a chance they would not have been able to "enjoy" the show anyway given their level of sensitivity (as well as overall taste). People such as yourself would watch something like Goblin Slayer regardless of the warnings as you all can handle it (in fact I have met some who love the kind of content presented in Goblin Slayer). For everyone else the warnings serve as a favor to let them know that this story is not for them.

Soulwarfare wrote:

I'm honestly surprised Crunchyroll didn't put a warning in the first place?
Did they have no idea what Goblin Slayer was before they licensed it?

Connor Dino wrote:
One does wonder if the people at Cruncyroll even view the content they are posting so they understand/know what is within it and aren't blind-sided by outrage. A disclaimer at the very beginning would have made all the fault fall on the people who didn't like the content to begin with, but watched anyway.

I know very little of what goes on behind the scenes of the new anime being ready to be stream on cruncyroll, but I would guess that being that we are getting these episodes of new shows as they air in Japan this would mean that Cruncyroll cannot necessary access the content of the anime before they put it on their website. To do so would mean they would have to delay the premiers. In fact if this is a concern they could just do what Netflix does and just hold off showing the new anime until they have finish their run. Doing so would give them time to determine proper ratings for the shows. With Netflix by the time they are ready to broadcast a new anime it has already been given a rating. However given that it seems a lot of people do not like this approach from Netflix has taken with new anime, I would imagine many of you would not like if Crunchyroll follow suit as well. I know for me while I am not too bother by Netflix approach (maybe with the exception with Tirgger's Little Witch Academia as at the time I have to wait longer for it's premier), for Crunchyroll to do the same is something I think I would not feel comfortable with.

Again I do not know what goes behind the scenes in Cruncyroll and this all just guesswork. If anyone has a better understanding of why the newer anime are not rated or given proper ratings in Crunchyroll I would like to read it.

Felicity dash wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

He's 11.

I guess it depends on the parents and them to stress that rape is wrong to do in real life. I mean I was 11 and I still was unable to read Blame! because of violence. Even though I understood what violence was. I wasn’t even able to watch pg-13 stuff until I was 15 and adult stuff until I was 19

It would also depend on how mature the child is I would add or their level of sensitivity. There are children who can handle this kind of content, and thinking back to when I was a child I have overheard people who have seen graphic content and thought it was okay (In fact they thought it was awesome, and it was perhaps one of the major factors that got them into anime to begin with). Plus I met a person who was allow to watch stuff targeted for older audiences because he was recognize by his parents that he was mature enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Trigger warnings have now reached anime.

Pick up an anime dvd/blu-ray and look at the back of the case. They already have content warnings. It's the same thing for TV shows. It's safe guarding themselves against any possible "you didn't say it was going to be this violent" problems.

I don't see the problem here. They should have put a warning on the show from the start (and gave it the right age rating, I mean PG? Wtf??)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8