• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia Anime Seasons Removed From Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I love Crunchyroll, but their virtual monopoly with streaming was getting scary. Hopefully next season HIDIVE gets around 10 simulcasts and Funimation gets 15-17. Competition is a good thing.

That may work for you, but not for those of us who live in a country where funimation doesn't work. This season, except for dororo, date a live 3 and kakegurui, crunchyroll has all the series I'm following (including some sentai filmworks titles, thanks to their partnership), so for me it's a good thing they have a lot of titles, and I hope CR involves in more production committees so they can bring more series.

FUNimation will start to expand to different countries. For example Fruits Basket will be brought to lots of different countries by FUNimation. It was the main reason they ended the partnership with CT.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Also Sony buying Funimation is scarier in my opinion. Sony has been going on a censorship rampage lately, especially with anime related products.[/quote]

You do know that only PlayStation that is censoring Anime games that has underage character. Sony Interactive Entertainment(PlayStation) and Sony Pictures Entertainment(Funimation) does have nothing to do with each other.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
Chien93 wrote:
I just hope all this drama doesn't have a domino effect on AnimeLab here in Australia.

If anything, Aniplex buying the anime side of Madman could have more of an impact on AnimeLab than the CR/Funi split.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Also Sony buying Funimation is scarier in my opinion. Sony has been going on a censorship rampage lately, especially with anime related products.
Yet I kept hearing for months about how Crunchyroll supposedly censored SAO even though they actually didn't so it seems like no streaming platform can ever win with some anime fans regardless even if the complaints aren't rooted in facts. There are a lot of legitimate concerns about what Sony buying Funimation means for the anime industry but I don't get why censorship has become this boogeyman for anime fans in the post 4Kids era.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The first two seasons of Overlord and A Certain Magical Index have also expired on Crunchyroll.

Those were already removed as part of the first big removal wave after crunchy announced the break up.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I already am paying for 3 of the anime streaming services (Funimation, Crunchyroll, HIDIVE) because not everything is on one streaming service. As for watching anime on Netflix or Amazon Prime, that is being shared with the rest of our family. Also, to be able to subscribe to the big 3 makes me proud as an anime fan in Canada.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well damn, as long as they don't take away Jojo and Gintama.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Argh!As much as I love streaming, this is why I kind of hate it.

*sigh* Well, at least I bought the discs…
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
TheBeron wrote:
FUNimation will start to expand to different countries. For example Fruits Basket will be brought to lots of different countries by FUNimation. It was the main reason they ended the partnership with CT.

Source on that last sentence - https://www.newsweek.com/funimation-crunchyroll-split-reason-why-1258066

Have Fruits Basket territories been announced? I've been hoping to see them list more than their usual.

Ulinox wrote:
Well damn, as long as they don't take away Jojo and Gintama.

I know by "they" you meant CR, but those aren't Funimation shows, so there's no related danger to them.
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ehhh... crunchyroll sucks anyways. no dubs, no care
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
cheapassgamer wrote:
ehhh... crunchyroll sucks anyways. no dubs, no care

CR have been producing their own dubs recently (the most currently notable being Shield Hero)... pissing off some of their sub-only subscribers. Rolling Eyes (I'm not telling you to use CR, I just wanted to say that because it's funny)

List of some dubs they've produced (rather than licensed from others):
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/09/got-dubs-crunchyroll-boosts-english-dub-library-with-crunchyroll-dubs

Laughably naive puff piece for the new Konosuba dub:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2019/02/18/konosubas-dub-is-the-one-sub-purists-have-been-waiting-for

They've also added non-English dubs for a few shows, but there's no way to watch them with English subs. I'd love to watch their Russian dubs because I love the sound of the language, but they're region-locked as well as not having English subs.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn this sucks.. However this nothing compared to what will happen when Dragon Ball Super is pulled from Crunchy Roll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:

Have Fruits Basket territories been announced? I've been hoping to see them list more than their usual.

No territories have been announced yet, but FUNimation uploaded videos with spanish, french, german and italian subs on their Youtube channel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2