• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nearly 200,000 Fans Vote in AnimeJapan's 'Most Wanted Anime Adaptation' Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Shonen Sport series have big female fan base for example Haikyuu and Kuroko no Basket have more female than male fans in Japan if we believe some poll. GFantasy is official shonen magazine but what I heard target girls. GFantasy have Black Butler and Hanako which win 5 place in that poll. Seinen magazine have 10dance manga about homo dancing. Personally I think publisher choose some seinen or shonen magazine to be more female friendly becouse what I heard female otaku increase in recent years and nearly all top magazine are either shonen or seinen. So instead of promoting shoujo or josei magazines publisher choose that shonen or seinen magazines have some series targeted at women. At least that my theory.

See, that kind of logic is like saying My Little Pony is actually for adult men because a lot of them watch it. It's great these series attract other audiences, but it doesn't really change what they are. The underlying issue is that josei and shoujo are not that big of a market. Shounen and seinen eclipse them tenfold, so it's not unreasonable that you'll find women reading stuff for boys. But it's also why you never hear the opposite of men flocking to shoujo and josei series.
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Super_M wrote:
Shonen Sport series have big female fan base for example Haikyuu and Kuroko no Basket have more female than male fans in Japan if we believe some poll. GFantasy is official shonen magazine but what I heard target girls. GFantasy have Black Butler and Hanako which win 5 place in that poll. Seinen magazine have 10dance manga about homo dancing. Personally I think publisher choose some seinen or shonen magazine to be more female friendly becouse what I heard female otaku increase in recent years and nearly all top magazine are either shonen or seinen. So instead of promoting shoujo or josei magazines publisher choose that shonen or seinen magazines have some series targeted at women. At least that my theory.

See, that kind of logic is like saying My Little Pony is actually for adult men because a lot of them watch it. It's great these series attract other audiences, but it doesn't really change what they are. The underlying issue is that josei and shoujo are not that big of a market. Shounen and seinen eclipse them tenfold, so it's not unreasonable that you'll find women reading stuff for boys. But it's also why you never hear the opposite of men flocking to shoujo and josei series.

Shonen manga main target are boys but they still care about girls for example shonen jump syndrome.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BishonenJumpSyndrome
I mean this is business. If women like shonen manga smart company use this to make more money.

Propably shoujo with a lot cute girls can attract male audience. I think mahou shoujo like Sailor Moon and PreCure have decent male audience.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so like half this thread is now arguing about target demographics and genre labels and similar stuff, a line of discussion that spun off from some very odd complaints about the poll results, and this is all rather off topic and has the potential to veer into some unpleasant territory (and honestly already did in some comments).

So let's put an end to that now, shall we.

On the topic of the thread itself, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto sounds fascinating. Never heard of it before, but I'd definitely be interested in an anime of it now.

Satsukare is one of those premises that just has me wondering what the ****.

And I echo those who feel a Dungeon Meshi anime would be awesome. Some day it will come, I want to believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4