• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
plus I heard the news right after finishing dragonball super Broly and was pissed because I can't imagine Broly with another voice, that's also made me kinda bias.

You do realize you're saying you're more concerned about Broly being recast than the all-but-confirmed possibility that Vic's a predator? I sincerely hope you come to recognize what a selfish position you've taken here, because it's not a good look.

(That, and uh, to actually take the time to read the accompanying articles that've helpfully condensed the various motions. No amount of reactionary YouTube videos will undermine the fact Vic utterly failed to prove his case, let alone how Beard's recent motions prove he a) he lied to both the judge and opposing counsel on his Motion to Continue and b) isn't even aware of basic litigation terminology)

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
That is a logical fallacy called appeal to emotion.

Given that the only people getting "emotional" are Vic fans who proudly ignore any and all corrections on litigation (testimonial evidence, definition of actual malice, the plaintiff's burden to prove defamation, etc.) and worship two clownshoes lawyers' outrage peddling ("Monica Rial wants Vic dead!"), I'm afraid you're just projecting here.

Last edited by Anthony.P on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
who is Hayashida again?

Purple mohawk guy from Cromartie High School, voiced by Illich Guardiola in the dub.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
geepee wrote:
who is Hayashida again?

Purple mohawk guy from Cromartie High School, voiced by Illich Guardiola in the dub.

THAT WAS HIM??!?!

Aw maaaann, I was just watching the dub a few days ago. It was one of my favorite shows. :/

EDIT: So the article regarding Tekkshocon was updated.

But I just want to know if anyone is going to call Mari Ijima a liar too. If you don't know who she is, you better look her up now.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gamlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GG, can we just agree to actually lock him in a Mental Institution for life? Vic is becoming more stupid.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Second, Vic was asked at the deposition about the rumors panel he had hosted at Tekkoshocon. He was being deceptive in his answers. Claiming that he didn't host a rumors panel, but a Q and A panel and that it some how evolved into a rumors panel. Which was dishonest, there is video of Vic at his normal panel filmed the day before telling his audience about his rumors panel that he is going to have the next day.

Someone who felt the need to do a rumors panel, which was really all about himself to me is trying to do damage control, and when he was not being honest about it at the deposition it suggests he knows he has done wrong at some point.

So that's what this Tekkoshocon article is that we're still waiting on. I was curious about that.

It's up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Nykona wrote:
Those of you who think this is a conspiracy and Vic is innocent are deluded. The bullshit from the Vic supporters is stunning. A lot of immature 20 somethings who are more concerned about attacking victims than believing what is true.

Those of us who know Vic personally know this is all true because we have been there. None of this is a shock to anyone, and if you actually READ the documents, especially here:

And the affidavits of the twins, which is truly disturbing:

READ those and then tell me you don't believe the girls.

That is a logical fallacy called appeal to emotion. Maybe you're not old enough to remember them, but this case is not anything new to the world. If you didn't believe the Duke Lacrosse boys were guilty after reading the accounts from Crystal Mangum you were a heartless monster, called a rape apologist, and other nasty things. You're operating on the notion that people are infallible and incapable of either misremembering things or simply flat out lying. Emotion has no place in law.

Everyone citing affidavits needs to at least wait until the motions to strike go through. Not everything in an affidavit is going to be admissible because there's always hearsay, conjecture, and other legal matters that cause it to be stricken from the record. Most affidavits submitted to courts are either heavily stricken or dismissed all together. For all you know most of these will either be reduced to one generic paragraph or completely stricken altogether. Until that happens, they're not worth citing or listening to. Ideally, we would all wait until the end of a case, but I know that's asking a lot of people. As it is now, people have spent the last half a year of their life being so emotionally invested in this case. So hopefully for all the people dancing the endzone right now saying it's 100% guaranteed the anti-SLAPP is going to work end up being right because it would look very embarrassing if they ended up being wrong after the amount of gloating going on in all these threads. We'll find out next week, at any rate.

Oh look a voice of reason.
Thank you for writing this out so that I didn't have to.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hunt said that at this event in 2007, Mignogna allegedly harassed convention guest Mari Iijima, the Japanese voice of Lynn Minmay in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross anime.

Also the English voice, which (not knowing the specifics of the event) I imagine is relevant -- Mignogna and Iijima had recently acted opposite each other as the stars of the ADV dub.

(Guess who had played Misa Hayase, the third member of the lead trio. Go on, guess.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
wuyuy wrote:

sexual assault is a real issue, a proper investigation must be conducted.
and if vic is found guilty, then he needs to go to jail or pay the price depending how serious his sexual acts were.

1) There is no criminal trial here. Vic is the one suing FUNi et al. for defamation, and those parties are motioning to have the lawsuit dropped due to Vic not having a legal leg to stand on.

2) Even if some of Vic's past actions rose to the level of criminal offenses, the statute of limitations has undoubtedly passed for the vast majority of them. What this implies in cases of sexual abuse or assault, whose victims often have great difficulty coming forward for a wide variety of reasons, is a whole other discussion that really needs to be had.

I really don't know where Vic apologists keep getting the whole "let's have it out in a trial!" angle, when that doesn't apply in the least.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:

Given that the only people getting "emotional" are Vic fans who proudly ignore any and all corrections on litigation (testimonial evidence, definition of actual malice, the plaintiff's burden to prove defamation, etc.) and worship two clownshoes lawyers' outrage peddling ("Monica Rial wants Vic dead!"), I'm afraid you're just projecting here.

I have no dog in this fight, but really? That comeback makes no sense. Do yourself a favor and look up the definition of the fallacy he was talking about.

Last edited by Valjean Lafitte on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This just keeps getting more and more damning.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This will make what memories I have of the macross dub commentary even more awkward.
Expias

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Since some people refuse to believe Hunt.

From the article for Tekkoshocon,

Quote:
ANN contacted Jim Gogal, who was the was President of the Board of Tekkoshocon Inc. and Chief Executive Officer in 2010. He told ANN that Iijima's room was moved once during the 2010 event.

According to Gogal, “She had reported to me that Mignogna had been calling her room and showed up there at one point. She was moved to a different room inside the same hotel. This room was booked under a different name to prevent any future incidents. Iijima was also given extra security afterwards.” Gogal said Iijima remained in her new room for the duration of the event.

Gogal also stated, “Mignogna and Iijima's schedules were specifically made so they would not encounter each other at her [Iijima's] request. This was because, as she relayed to me, his past behavior and harassment to her.”

ANN sent a query to Iijima about the alleged incidents involving Mignogna at either the 2007 or 2010 Tekkoshocon event. Iijima declined to comment on the matters.

Brett Weaver's posts about it were included once more but apparently people seem to hate Hunt so much that his and other former con staff's comments are not ever taken.

I'm sure someone will say "See Ijima declined to comment!"

Re-read this article and maybe you can understand why some people don't comment.
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-02-13/voice-actress-hiroko-konishi-shares-her-metoo-story/.143311
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Let's be honest here, Vic could never get another VA role for the rest of his life and he'd still be more popular than most other voice actors out there. Even with this scandal his lines at conventions have been bigger and more populated than most other VAs. I only ever see Chris Sabat's lines match his. All a VA needs is that one breakout role and they can coast on it forever at conventions. Nobody really cares Vic voiced a guy in Bungo Stray Dogs any more than people care Sean Schemmel voices some background character in Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. They're known for one specific role, or in Vic's case, about 4. That's why people like them and go to convention to pay them for signings, photos, and other stuff. This isn't as much of a dig as you think it is. And if you're really going to write off Anime Matsuri as a 'minor convention' then that's just your own bias showing.

More spinning yadda yadda and moving the goalposts. My post wasn't about the longevity of Vic's fame, but a rebuttal of the idea that "he's better off now thanks to filing the lawsuit than he would be if he had walked away and taken time off". And like I said, yeah, if it makes you feel better about this shitfest, keep telling yourselves that Vic's better off now that the world will know him as "that guy who sexually harrassed MARI IJIMA", the only one you're lying to is yourselves so it doesn't really matter.

About Anime Matsuri, given that the main showrunner is also a known sexual predator, I don't think Vic's being invited there says anything in regards to whether he or his reputation are "better off now than six months ago" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Anthony.P wrote:

I have no dog in this fight, but really? That comeback makes no sense. Do yourself a favor and look up the definition of the fallacy he was talking about.

Quote:
An appeal to emotion is a specific type of fallacy in which one manipulates another's emotions to win an argument. Emotional appeals do not rely on facts or evidence; rather, they rely on playing on emotions.

That's...in line with Vic supporters pretending testimonies aren't evidence or suspecting the relevant affidavits may've been lies/faulty recollections despite that, y'know, they follow the same pattern as dozens of other women across the country with three decades' worth of allegations. It's the basic test of critical thinking they purposely fail again and again not for the sake of being right, but the goal of winning.

When you're not only accusing the other side of fishing for emotions when the primary instigators behind the lawsuit peddle outright misogyny for the sake of outrage, but under the guise of the tired, discussion-discouraging "wait for the courts to decide!" rhetoric all the while conveniently ignoring Beard and co.'s constant fumbling, at best it's evident you're not approaching this subject in decent faith.

*This isn't even getting into how the possibility of hearsay was raised, yet Beard's Motion to Strike laughably applied that to the investigations, among other things. Even under the possibility they were stricken, Denbow's affidavit would still prove FUNi conducted and acted upon an investigation regarding the allegations.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just read through everything regarding the deposition. I did hear stories of him in the past being hard to deal with at conventions, but assumed that was more due to personality clashes that only affected him while at conventions. But after reading all this damning testimony of his predatory behavior, safe to say his career as a voice actor is done.

Reports of his vile behavior with other industry figures at cons had been happening for many years. So, what was it that about the start of this year that made the stories go more viral than they have ever been been? I know there is the conspiracy theory that they decided to wait until the success of the latest DB movie here or similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12