Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mgosdin



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 1292
Location: Kissimmee, Florida, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you


It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 569
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you


It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin


So you don't personally like it. Mkay.

Man this fight was so unbelievably dope in the manga, I hope they do it right here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnimeFlyz



Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Show is super Violent

- I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

So you are seriously not gonna recommend one of the best series of 2017 because its violent?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you


It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin


If you mean the fetishistic stuff, then yeah that's gross for sure, but compared to how masterfully crafted the series is otherwise, it's only a minor inconvenience. If the show was anything less, I can understand it being enough to turn someone away, but I can't imagine willingly let someone miss out on such a masterpiece because of one problematic element that can be easily ignored for the most part.

If you're referred to just the physical brutality in general, that's another story because it's more prevalent. Some people just can't handle gritty and brutal violence, especially when it's children that are suffering, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2025
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also necessary viewing if you're interested in the larger plot of Made in Abyss, because the characters come out of this film as changed people, and there's a feeling that they've reached the point of no return.

Actually, they've literally gone past the point of no return, at that point...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4209
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Those who loved the series, will probably love the movie, if the reviewer is correct.
Glad the movie adaptation is fantastic, will have to try and find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 674
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see this film myself in theaters. Hope we get info on release date soon. It's gonna be amazing and heartbreaking, just like its masterpiece first season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 437
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 am Reply with quote
I'm on the fence. I've read that part of the manga, and I'm not sure I want to see it animated --- the manga is grim enough without the added intensity of animation and voice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 733
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you


It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin


If you mean the fetishistic stuff, then yeah that's gross for sure, but compared to how masterfully crafted the series is otherwise, it's only a minor inconvenience. If the show was anything less, I can understand it being enough to turn someone away, but I can't imagine willingly let someone miss out on such a masterpiece because of one problematic element that can be easily ignored for the most part.

If you're referred to just the physical brutality in general, that's another story because it's more prevalent. Some people just can't handle gritty and brutal violence, especially when it's children that are suffering, and there's nothing wrong with that.


Please don't play down "fetishistic stuff".The story arcs after what the movie adapted has it a plenty-And the the body-horror and violence only increases as the manga's story progresses.

@Mark Gosdin Made in Abyss is a brutal body-horror story and contains child-fetishism.People have been stating those facts on these forums since Made in Abyss's anime was announced...sometimes checking out the source material is a good thing...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Please don't play down "fetishistic stuff".The story arcs after what the movie adapted has it a plenty-And the the body-horror and violence only increases as the manga's story progresses.


It depends on if ThatGuyWhoLikesThings is talking about the anime or the manga.

If we're talking about the TV anime or its existing movie adaptations then I agree with them and the fetishistic stuff is terribly minor and very easily overlooked. There's what, an extremely brief scene of spoiler[Riko "strung up nude"] which is played for laughs rather than titillation and contains no detail whatsoever. There's the fact that spoiler[Maruruk's cross-dressing may actually be coerced by Ozen]. Those are pretty low on the offensive content scale in my opinion, especially compared to anime in general. Your average school comedy has far more sexualized content. Oh, and there was a comment or two about Reg spoiler[having a functioning penis despite being a robot,] but again that was played for laughs rather than titillation and there was nothing graphic shown on screen either. Also, I'm fully expecting that to have some major plot significance which has yet to be revealed. I find the fetish content in the anime to be very minor--not just on an absolute scale, but especially compared to the violence and body horror aspect of the show.

If we're talking the manga, then yeah, there is a lot more of the fetishistic sort of content. How much of it makes it into any future anime remains to be seen. But even then the fetishistic content barely moves the needle compared to the violence and horror aspects.


Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2452
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I like Made in Abyss but I’d argue the violence aspect against children is also very fetishtic. It’s one of those series that I’ll watch because it’s great storytelling/world building but don’t want to own because it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Like I haven’t seen the movie yet but the preview when Reg is clearly being tortured while naked. Is there any need for that? Showing torture of a child is bad enough but why does he need to be naked. Can cruelty be shown without showing these things?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I like Made in Abyss but I’d argue the violence aspect against children is also very fetishtic. It’s one of those series that I’ll watch because it’s great storytelling/world building but don’t want to own because it makes me feel very uncomfortable.


Children and violence are very commonly found together in anime, though perhaps not treated as seriously as it is in MiA.

Quote:
Like I haven’t seen the movie yet but the preview when Reg is clearly being tortured while naked. Is there any need for that? Showing torture of a child is bad enough but why does he need to be naked. Can cruelty be shown without showing these things?


I haven't seen the film, but in the manga there is a solid plot reason for it. spoiler[In that scene Reg was being subjected to medical experiments to study what kind of relic he is. The intent was not torture, though though the results might as well have been.]

That said, it's also pretty tame compared to what else happens later in the arc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you


It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin


If you mean the fetishistic stuff, then yeah that's gross for sure, but compared to how masterfully crafted the series is otherwise, it's only a minor inconvenience. If the show was anything less, I can understand it being enough to turn someone away, but I can't imagine willingly let someone miss out on such a masterpiece because of one problematic element that can be easily ignored for the most part.

If you're referred to just the physical brutality in general, that's another story because it's more prevalent. Some people just can't handle gritty and brutal violence, especially when it's children that are suffering, and there's nothing wrong with that.


Please don't play down "fetishistic stuff".The story arcs after what the movie adapted has it a plenty-And the the body-horror and violence only increases as the manga's story progresses.


Good thing I'm not talking about what happens after the movie, huh? Then again, you'd think that would be obvious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4209
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Good thing I'm not talking about what happens after the movie, huh? Then again, you'd think that would be obvious.


That is the million dollar question.

Is there any light to be found at the bottom of the Abyss?

Maybe there is a whole another world down there, like in the movie, "The Land That Time Forgot".

Whether this is going to end in tragedy, salvation, or something in between; I will be watching till the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 733
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Good thing I'm not talking about what happens after the movie, huh? Then again, you'd think that would be obvious.


That is the million dollar question.

Is there any light to be found at the bottom of the Abyss?

Maybe there is a whole another world down there, like in the movie, "The Land That Time Forgot".

Whether this is going to end in tragedy, salvation, or something in between; I will be watching till the end.


The manga's is approaching it's half-way mark,the story's been on the final layer for a few chapters now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group