• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Made Us Go WTF!?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The only time I think I've ever actually shouted "WTF" at the TV screen was the Endless Eight storyline of Haruhi...

As for other shows:

I went into When They Cry with zero knowledge of the show and thought it more of a romantic comedy. Wow was I wrong... O_O

The whole premise of Qwaser Of Stigmata...

The twisted wonderfulness that Gleipnir turned out to be...

The relationship at the core of Koi Kaze

Some of the moments in Revolutionary Girl Utena...especially the episode with the cow...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
More than just the ending of School Days the real WTF moment of that show is the fact the producers went with THAT ending. I mean of all the endings possible from the visual novel, or some form of adaptation of one, the choice they make was this? Just....why?
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
As plot twists go, we have of course Higurashi, Madoka and Bokurano and more recently Neverland and Made in Abyss. But for me, one of my absolute favorites was Episode 2 of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. I was just getting into anime and I knew nothing about the series going in. Watching it in chronological order, it was the best WTF moment ever.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to add Shadow Star Narutaru to this list. It opens with a girl going on a beach vacation and discovering a weird but apparently friendly and good-natured creature. The series then quickly descends into spoiler[violence, incest, and rape with a test-tube].
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, you got School Days right. Another series for me is Shin Sekai Yori and most of all.... SamFlam.... Samurai Flamenco. I wasn't expecting to see that WTF moment.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have to add Shadow Star Narutaru to this list..

I knew reading the comments have all the correct answers. Most of the stuff on that list was pretty normal, all anime things considered. Sure, they had some crazy twists, but not like an entire show's worth of WTFery. And 'dark magical girl' has become such a cliche genre that it stopped being a subversion of the trope and became the regular. It's clear when some of these anime kind of relish in a certain brand of WTF so when the WTF actually comes up, it's no longer shocking or a surprise.

Shadow Star though..., Christ, where do I even begin.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
Definitely would have to go with Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san (OVA) here.

Particularly that first episode, that scene where Sakuma gets slowly turned into a cow and Azazel and Moloch start singing their own version of "Old McDonald had a farm" which gets more menacing as the transformation takes place. Though there are many, many, many "WTF" moments in Azazel-san. It should definitely had made this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F5eirxK0A0

Another one that also deserves mention is Puni Puni Poemy. While Excel Saga and Nerima Daikon Brothers also have their fair share of "WTF" moments, they don't come close to reaching the level of "WTF" in PPP. It is truly Nabeshin's zaniness on full display.

I'll also mention Futakoi Alternative as well since more people need to watch it. Seriously, if you can make it through the first episode of Futakoi Alternative without going "WTF" at least once then pat yourself on the back.
egozi14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
So no mention of Qwaser (one of the most WTF animes ever) due to youtube guideline too? :p
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike this new format of the list. If I wanted to watch YouTube I'd be over watching YouTube. I came here to read a text article. Please transcribe the whole thing next time, including the previous poll results.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I share your annoyance.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Poll results here for those who don't like being coerced into watching a YT video.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
That episode of Vatican Miracle Examiners where they just told a one-off story about a kid who's entire family was murdered by santa with an axe.

Now that's a good suggestion. I'd even go so far as to say the entire show is extremely WTF and deserves a place on the list.

With mysteries that end up being stuff like "neo nazis want to impregnate women with hitler's preserved sperm" and "people thought they saw a miracle because they were high due to a drug operation happening underneath the church and powder coming through the floorboards", it was certainly a wild ride...

The Santa story was good too, though it was actually that the house next to the kid was killed by the Santa. The main character's family didn't get killed, but his father ended up being a demon and just announced that over dinner one night before disappearing in flames.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
School Days had the best possible ending for a shit character.

The Murderer got their just desserts?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
Anybody remember that NA premiere of Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack!

v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I loved Magical Girl Raising Project just for the fact that it stayed true to it's premise. No nonsense, just a bunch of cute characters killing each other vuolently. Too bad it didn't get a sequel.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I loved Magical Girl Raising Project just for the fact that it stayed true to it's premise. No nonsense, just a bunch of cute characters killing each other vuolently. Too bad it didn't get a sequel.

Cute girls killing each other?
I wish we had more of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2