• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Your Eternity (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Lastly... was anyone freaked out by that crab flower? Not a flower crab, but a crab flower? WTF is that??

If the man in black is no the only god, there has to be something else out there also making these similar weird creatures. And apparently the eyes are bugs?

Fushi forgetting March was so sad, such that he knew that he had someone he considered a mother, but couldn't remember who. But was nice seeing Pioran give Fushi the affection and attention, even when he tried telling her to leave him alone.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, a whole new crop of kids to kill off! I hope Fushi gets the ability to change back into March soon - I miss seeing her!
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If the man in black is no the only god, there has to be something else out there also making these similar weird creatures.

I'm becoming more sus that he's the one who created them. I haven't gotten any hint that there's another "god" in this universe, and I'm also getting Unreliable Narrator vibes from him.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
14:

Interesting turn of events.

Fushi is actually taught not to reveal his abilities to anyone. The same way superheroes are not supposed to reveal their secret identities, Fushi had to protect his secret identity too, until his hand is forced to do so. The idea of secret identity is a deep one, but mostly it has something to do with keeping your cards close to your chest. The more he reveals, whether it's his intentions or his abilities, the most potential enemies can use them against him. Through his naivete, he got himself into a gladiator arena and had to use his regenerating ability to win it, and now Tonari and Co. wants to exploit him.

So yeah, obviously Tonari made it clear what she wants to exploit him for. Fushi doesn't see the purpose of it all, since it doesn't help with his sole agenda: to save Pioran. More so when he realizes that he's stuck on basically a stateless Savage Island where egalitarianism and nobility wouldn't get one anywhere. So yes, although island isn't exactly Training Island that he and Pioran originally had in mind, it still is Training Island for him. Omnipotent basically slaps him the hard truth: just do what you need to do, and don't be so empathetic. Hard to argue with that, although naturally that's going to be hard for Fushi, whose "destiny" to be the savior of humanity. How is he supposed to be one without feeling empathetic, right.

Interesting to see Hayase back; I never thought I'd see her again. But why? Likely she's still at it with pursuing Fushi's immortality. Tonari? It should be alarming to see how she can be so calm amid all the violence going on around her. There's probably a story that explains how she would do anything―whether it's to lie, cheat or exploit―in order to survive, because being kind didn't get her anywhere. Nokkers? They're back sooner than I thought, so now Fushi's gonna have to make do with whatever he's learned to fight them this time, which is pathetically little this time.

The biggest strange development now is this: how did Fushi learn to take Parona's form? Fushi (and I) thought he can only take the forms of those who died. Parona's pretty much alive when he's dead. Does that mean that we're wrong: he can actually take the form of anyone/anything he's come across, dead or alive? That changes everything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote
We have been told that stimulus is what can allow him to turn into something or someone, and being able to turn into another person that did not die is kind of a big leap. So because she left a mark on emotions, he could turn into her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:19 am Reply with quote
I could do a parody of the old The Knack song, "My Sharona" called "My Parona" but I won't! Yes, it was interesting to see our old "friend" Hayase back. Too bad that the OP is so spoilerific... we know what happens to some of Tonari's gang.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
15:

You know the problem with empathy? You care too much. That's what Fushi is going through right now. He gained empathy and understands people's pain well. Maybe too well. So well that he can't bear to let anyone experience pain. So now he feels obliged to save people on the island, and at least not kill anyone who doesn't deserve to be saved. What the Omnipotent and Tonari have been saying is something Fushi has yet to understand: that he can't save everyone. That's a tough pill to swallow, considering his mission of saving humanity.

But at least now he learns another thing: that he doesn't always have to rely only on himself, and that he can depends on others for help. Fushi has always fought the Nokkers by himself, and the last time he fought them, there were bystanders. This time, at least he has allies, and probably he will realize that it's not just Fushi versus Nokkers; it's humanity versus Nokkers.

Damn, it didn't occur to me that Parona could've died. Now I'm sad. Was Hayase the one who killed her?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
...What the Omnipotent...

It has been revealed in the anime that his given title is The Beholder.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
MAL calls it the Observer, iirc.

Doesn't really matter much to me, to be frank. Omnipotent, Beholder, Observer, Cloak Guy, God, Boogieman. I'll just stick to the name I've been using for consistency's sake. As long as everyone knows who I'm referring to, it's no big deal (at least to me).
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
At 3:30 in Episode 16 (English subbed) one of the un-named island residents that helped Fushi fight the Nokkers refers to him as "that asshole in black".
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
16:
ACxS wrote:

Damn, it didn't occur to me that Parona could've died. Now I'm sad. Was Hayase the one who killed her?

Goddammit.

This is one morbid episode. More morbid than I thought. More morbid than this show makes it out to be.

Tonari lost her dad to Jananda Island for a murder he didn't commit―because the spouse is always the prime suspect in their significant other's death, right?―witnessed her dad become the monster and essentially "die", tried to find her "father" is a pit of dead bodies, witnessed her father literally die in front of her, which didn't really register with her since he's already "dead" in the arena.

I italicized the above to show which is the f**ked-up part of the episode. No wonder she and her gang are desensitized by the sheer violence of the island.

Oh, and Hayase killed Parona in the most f**ked-up way. There's that too.

Jananda Island proves to be the training ground that Fushi needed the most, more than the the Galapagos Island that he and Pioran originally set out for. He already learned that fighting against the Nokkers isn't always something he has to do by himself, but that means he's going to drag others into his own war. So with Hayase here, what's his next lesson? Forgiveness? Repentance?

We're in for a long haul on Jananda for this arc. And if the OP isn't giving away enough clues already, the Nokkers are making a comeback to this island, stronger than ever. You can kinda tell: Fushi's battle was wayyyyy too quick and easy this time round. I bet they're coming back pretty soon. And from what I can gather, this time they learn to control people and turn them into zombies. Yes, Nokkers using Fushi's own friends against him. That will show him and his newfound allies.

spoiler[And of course, the next one to die is Tonari. Get ready.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Tonari lost her dad to Jananda Island for a murder he didn't commit―because the spouse is always the prime suspect in their significant other's death, right?―witnessed her dad become the monster and essentially "die", tried to find her "father" is a pit of dead bodies, witnessed her father literally die in front of her, which didn't really register with her since he's already "dead" in the arena.

I am not sure how wide interpretation it would be to take the fact how her father did in the tournament actually pointed that he did in fact likely kill Tonari's mother, so she kind of made a mistake in following to the island in the first place. Her believing that he died in the arena was like a way for lying to herself that she didn't give up everything and put so much trust into the person that took her mother away.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:00 am Reply with quote
Was it hinted that he indeed killed Tonari's mother? It would make sense, since Tonari finally saw the kind of person her father truly was at the arena, which explains why she didn't seemed fazed at his death/murder (makes way more sense, really). But this is very interpretive; this conclusion was based mostly on how he behaved in the arena.

Regarding Parona's death, something just occurred to me. When exactly did she die? If she did, Fushi would've known; we've seen him intuitively pick up whenever he knows dies. If Parona died a violent death, surely he would've sensed it. Did Hayase only make up the incident to anger him during the fight?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
17:

Hayase. She scares me.

She wants Fushi's immortality. That's obvious enough. The scary part for me isn't her visceral obsession for getting it, but her overall cunningness and manipulative abilities. Rather than simply yoinking Fushi, she turns the island against Tonari, the person who did her the favor of bringing Fushi over to Jananda in the first place, by spinning the narrative of Fushi and making use of their belief in salvation. That's scary. Winston Churchill said that history favors the victor, and this is the perfect example of what that means.

I hope Fushi gets a lot out of this arc. To learn to trust on the people around them, and the extent of his powers. After being stabbed with the sedative so many times, I thought he would know how to make that sedative for his own use already by now. Because if he's smart enough to make a husk of himself, why not make the very thing he's stabbed with?

Tonari, determined to change the narrative to the story of her life, plans to save Fushi by herself. So what happens next? The Nokkers are back and they have a new ability to showcase (I don't need brownie points for getting those two right), so I think this is where Fushi will embark on his next adventure. spoiler[I still think Tonari will die, but will Pioran? Maybe, although from the plot's POV, I'm not sure what Fushi will gain from being able to take her form? Will Hayase die? Perhaps; it would be poetic justice.]

The show really took a dip in production values this time around. Jeez.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
18:

I'm amazed at Fushi's development. Why? He made two rational deductions: one, about Tonari's dad. After hearing her story, he made a conclusion that just because Tonari's dad was celebrating over killing people doesn't mean he killed Tonari's mom. Another way to see it: just because he had the propensity to kill doesn't mean he killed the mom. That's exactly what I thought when Tonari recounted her life; I didn't think he killed Tonari's mom and I still don't think he killed her. Although to Tonari this doesn't matter much; she essentially lost her dad when he succumbed to bloodlust.

Two, Fushi wondered why the Nokkers didn't go for him instead. We know that the Nokkers are only interested in killing Fushi but seeing how they went for the people of Jananda instead, when they could just attack Fushi and Tonari at the shoreline, it didn't add up. That alone is strange, and Fushi picked up on that.

From an evolutionary point of view, to be able to make rational observations like the above is a huge leap. Fushi is rapidly evolving, and the next leap would be introspection: to wonder about how he's able to think this far (I doubt he will develop this much... but I could be wrong). As for the episode itself, I'm not surprised at all over what's happening. Tonari and Co. saw themselves as street-wise in a savage island like Jananda, yet they seemed to be shocked when one of them died. Kinda shows them how naive they still are for a group that have spent their childhood in a dog-eat-dog world.

Production values have improved in this episode, although still not as polished as before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6