• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Your Eternity (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13

As soon as you have a show that has a character with the phrase "Tasty Peach" as part of his name, you know it's jumped the shark. At least the post-execution version of Prince Bonchien (for those who may not know French, that translates as "good dog") is more palatable than the previous incarnation.

Anyway, I dread every episode because, of course, the show has made me care and like Eko, the Clay Pot Girl. Naturally, that also means she's marked for death since the entire point of this show is to create lovable child characters and then kill them. Hi, March. So yeah, just waiting for the Eko blade to fall, dammit. Meanwhile, Tasty Peach continues to live...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 15

If March has been resurrected only to be killed again, somebody is gonna get gutted, I swear. I have to say I am thoroughly bored with Fushi's battle against the Nokkers... I really wish the show would concentrate on something else.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
The big question is that once Fushi finds out that he can resurrect March, will he try to resurrect everyone that he has lost? What forms would he be willing to keep for the possibility of bringing back some people. Presumably he wouldn't be able to do so with people whose spirits have moved on.

The action not really getting me either, although that part has never really been that big part of the show. Although Fushi turning into a bird and then into his boy form with a sword was pretty cool, at least the parts we saw.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 17

God, this show is so emotionally and mentally exhausting to watch. Remember when To Your Eternity had moments of fun? Yeah, me neither. When Fushi said in the episode that he just wants it all to end, I gave out a loud, "Amen, brother!" Every scene is just pain and despair and we jump around so much. Oh, there's a guy letting a thief go. Oh, a few scenes later there's that guy realizing that by letting the thief go, an innocent person has been killed. And oh the princess had died. And oh a child is bored so Fushi brings her a doll. And oh that weird guy with the Nokker arm is... and on it goes. I only care about two things: really seeing March again and steeling myself for when Eko dies (because we know she will). I can't wait to see the ass-end of this show. I'm compelled to watch it to the bitter end but I can't wait not to have to watch it any more.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
I've finished ep 16, I'm really enjoying it. The renril arc is one of the weaker arcs, similar to the prison arc from season 1, but I don't really think its out right bad (its more of a 7/10). I don't want to write a whole essay here, but most anime climaxes tend to be weak and have similar flaws to the renril arc, and it is ultimately the climax, like the prison arc (the arc after the prison one was a denouement). Typical climax problems include making the scope to big (eg, world ending invasions) to wrap up in a satisfying way, for one thing. Overall my main problems with this arc are, as well as things I think could've been improved

bon's characterisation becomes significantly weaker, he goes from being unhinged and flamboyant to a sort of manipulater.
    spoiler[the ressurrection element should have been split in two parts, one arc which reveals the fact he can ressurrect at all, then the "3 immortals" thing, though I'm not really enjoying the 3 immortals plot anyway]
    I think if the "keeping Bon's and Fushi's identity secret" aspect was fleshed out more it would be more interesting, and make Fushi walking down the street in public aspect more dramatic, adding a fugitive element to the story
    the princess, king and castle location could have been fleshed out more too
    the original girlspoiler[ he revived's] story should've been given a whole entire arc... then again, next arc would be a good opportunity to do so
    not to repeat myself, but any other flaws about the renril arc are things I would criticise pretty much every anime climax for, and I'm struggling to put them in words anyway

Either way, I really enjoy TYE, while the climaxes tend to be weak, all the other story arcs are better than what I could hope to write myself, I'll probably put the anime on my best list.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:29 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 18

Ah, it was so good to see the resurrected March get some decent screentime. She is one of my favourite anime characters of all time. I love the job that her seiyuu, Rie Hikisaka, does. It would have been great if she could have actually interacted with Fushi, er, I mean a version of Fushi that wasn't a blood-covered white ball attached to a rope... I had to chuckle at seeing her small, stumpy frame on that big galloping horse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 20 (Finale - thank God)

How fitting that the finale would be disappointing given that it was a deeply disappointing season, imo. It always sucks when a title you really liked gets a sequel and them promptly poops the bed. I don't have the energy or inclination to go into a deep dive on all the ways this season didn't measure up, but the finale had some characteristics of them. The offhand way we found out about Eko's death: "Oh yeah, she croaked this morning but I didn't want to harsh everybody's lunch, so I didn't say anything." And everybody else gets a little coda to show what happened to them except, of course, March, my favourite character. All we learn about her fate is that she chose to die peacefully. We don't even know if she ever attained her cherished goal of becoming a real mother. Screw you, show.

So given my bitterness, I obviously won't check out the next season, right? Wrong. Apparently, I'm a masochist. But there is a part of me that hopes this show will regain its footing even though I don't think it will. It seems like it will be set in the present day - except a present day with tons of Fushi roots lying around. I wonder if the cast will be resurrected in this modern world? I'll check out. Please don't suck, Season 3.

I'm being generous when I rank Season 2 as Decent. The only reason I rank it that high is that at least March was brought back, albeit too briefly, and then handled in a shoddy way at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:57 am Reply with quote
The whole death thing did seem to kind of lose a lot of power towards the end of the season, when people just keep resurrecting, and then we get info about characters just dying. March's new death seemed especially confusing, which had me wondering if they were saying that March just decided to not eat or something once Fushi decided that he would give up really being conscious for several generations. March's original death was such a powerful moment in the franchise, that it does feel a little hard not to take something a bit personal.

I will say that there were some strong parts of the season, particularly comes to mind is the moment that Fushi saw all his friends and family that stuck around as spirits, again. That does feel big as all those characters meant quite a lot to us through the series. But I also can't say that I am that into such a huge arc of Fushi spreading out in a city, and then a battle in said city. The strength of this series I would say was perfectly set up in the very beginning, the wander of meeting new people and places, and at some point we were kind of stuck in one place, with any new faces being mostly blurs in terms of characterisation.

The other big part of the series is Fushi's emergent personality and character, and although we had growth, a lot of that part this season didn't seem particularly healthy when Fushi clearly looked like he was pushing himself too hard. What I would call a dangling thread is what the doll meant to Fushi, and although he said something about March would probably like it, that doesn't look like a full explanation. Such be in the final episode, we just saw that one copy with that little girl. The church blowing up did look pretty cool though.

My rating for season 2 will be Good (7/10).
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching somewhere in the first season. Sad that the quality of the first episodes didn't come back. I thought that it would be a masterpiece in the beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6