• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
Quote:
While we don't spend too much time with the character, Yuka is in the midst of a different kind of self-discovery. Going by the character's dead name, [redacted], and the way Yaguchi interacts with Yuka, it'd be safe to assume the character was male at birth. However, this has clearly become something much more fluid in high school as we see Yuka wearing both male and female uniforms in the episode.

Hey Richard, just so you know, you aren't supposed to use a trans/nonbinary person's dead name once they have chosen a new name for themselves. I'm aware the protag of Blue Period uses Yuka's dead name (which is awful of him btw), but that doesn't make it okay. Please remove it from your review.

....He wasn't referring to the character by that name though?He just stated what that name was,he even referred to the character by their name(Yuka) right afterwards.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It's still not necessary to bring the name up.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:

Hey Richard, just so you know, you aren't supposed to use a trans/nonbinary person's dead name once they have chosen a new name for themselves.

Although cumbersome, there are cases where a referential note for purposes of disambiguation and/or correctly stating matter of fact are required when referring to events in the past. E.g., "Caitlan Jenner when she won the Decathlon in the 1976 Summer Olympics (at the time of male gender using the name Bruce Jenner)..." - those of use who watched at the time and/or watched historical broadcast video know that there was no female gender Men's Decathlon entry named "Caitlan Jenner" in the event. Leaving out the explanatory note in parenthesis implies that an event (that would have been sensational) occurred that in fact did not happen.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mugen Train is fine.The biggest issues were the villains,who have nothing to them at all. They also really expected you to care for Rengoku, despite him barely being established as a character. I'll be happy when the new season actual begins.
NoWayNoWay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Caitlin Moore wrote:
I'm also positive I've encountered the exact idea of a partnership between a person who can see ghosts but can't fight them, and a person who can fight ghosts but can't see them before, though I can't put my finger on it.

Perhaps you're thinking of Mokke? It's a series about a pair of sisters, the older one being able to see the invisible youkai that inhabit their world, and the younger one being unable to see them but having an unnatural magnetism that attracts them to her, which leads her to befriend them more often but also being attacked by them more often. The general mood of the anime feels superficially like a Ghibli work (without the good production values, lol) while the manga has superb art and a darker, more oppressive feel to the youkai.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
NoWayNoWay wrote:
Caitlin Moore wrote:
I'm also positive I've encountered the exact idea of a partnership between a person who can see ghosts but can't fight them, and a person who can fight ghosts but can't see them before, though I can't put my finger on it.

Perhaps you're thinking of Mokke? It's a series about a pair of sisters, the older one being able to see the invisible youkai that inhabit their world, and the younger one being unable to see them but having an unnatural magnetism that attracts them to her, which leads her to befriend them more often but also being attacked by them more often. The general mood of the anime feels superficially like a Ghibli work (without the good production values, lol) while the manga has superb art and a darker, more oppressive feel to the youkai.

There's also this Bleach episode where Karin, who can see ghosts/hollows but cannot fight them, helps Sado, who can't see ghosts/hollows but can fight them.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Rumble Garanndoll: Well, I had a blast. Like James, I rarely read the show description before watching the first episode—I like to go into it cold—but, serendipitously, I had just watched an adaptation of China Mieville’s The City and the City, so I could quickly grasp the whole True Country/Fantasy Country concept.

Maybe part of my enjoyment is that I spent some (maybe too much?) time this pandemic rereading old favorites, thus I can tap into that youthful passion, and geek out alongside the characters. Who can say, humor is so subjective. I’m always struck by how unpredictable a show’s reception can be. I was shocked at how well-received Muteking was—my retinas are still recovering. Just as much as I hated Muteking, I enjoyed Garanndoll. It might crash and burn tomorrow but today I had a rollicking good time.

Quote:
all of a sudden you realize that the real world is bearing down on you and you do things like have your parents send you your old My Little Ponies so that they can have a showdown with your friend's Star Wars toys. (This is, naturally, a completely random example of something that never happened.)

LMAO Thanks, Rebecca, best laugh I’ve had all week! Laughing
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Caitlin Moore wrote:

And adding a more recent one, there's Otherside Picnic, where one character gains a supernatural-detecting eye and the other a spectral hand that has unique abilities in the alternate world... apparently this is a common concept.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
NoWayNoWay wrote:
Caitlin Moore wrote:

Actually I think she might have been thinking of Otherside Picnic, though I forget if the monsters on the Otherside were ghosts per se, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read that. Mokke sounds interesting though.
Edit- Haha, someone beat me to it re Otherside Picnic suggestion.

Also I see Richard edited the deadname out of the Blue Period review, so thank you!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Rumble Garanndoll: Well, I had a blast.... I can tap into that youthful passion, and geek out alongside the characters. Who can say, humor is so subjective. I’m always struck by how unpredictable a show’s reception can be. I was shocked at how well-received Muteking was—my retinas are still recovering. Just as much as I hated Muteking, I enjoyed Garanndoll. It might crash and burn tomorrow but today I had a rollicking good time....
Same here!! I usually can't abide mecha shows, especially where the "robots" are transparently just weirded-out caricatures of people or animals for no good reason but this one was so dumb in embracing the idiocy it was highly entertaining. The over-the-top boyish emotionalism made it hang together and it did tap into even my aged and jaded inner shounen. Plus, there was a real hot girl inside with him! Forget Gleipnir, sorry Zero2, I can get into this one and will recommend for the humor and good vibes Smile
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:

Maybe part of my enjoyment is that I spent some (maybe too much?) time this pandemic rereading old favorites, thus I can tap into that youthful passion, and geek out alongside the characters. Who can say, humor is so subjective. I’m always struck by how unpredictable a show’s reception can be. I was shocked at how well-received Muteking was—my retinas are still recovering. Just as much as I hated Muteking, I enjoyed Garanndoll. It might crash and burn tomorrow but today I had a rollicking good time

It's likely that if it's watched Garanndoll alone I would have given it a lower score, but as I was writing it my husband came in and started reciting the Shining Finger speech. What can I say? Part of the reason I fell in love with him is his infectious dorkiness.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 am Reply with quote
My Senpai Was Not Quite as Annoying as I Expected might be worth watching after all. I do like Senpai, but Tiny Office Lady would work better if she only looked like a child and didn't actually act like one. She does look nice in her suit though.

Farewell to Jigan was great. First 5 I've handed out to the new crop. I hope the rest of the season is as good, but it probably won't be, since it won't have the same reason to be so character focused.

Deep Thoughts: Loser Child was so stupid it hurt. Kid's like one of those goats that faints when it's startled, except his heart also stops. So what better candidate to send into a life and death situation! "The most important thing is to stay alive. But surprise! (oops) You're not going to get any training ('cause you were kinda dead during that class) or advice on how to do that or even a hint of what to expect. Not that you'll need any, because you have Plot Armor™!!"

Otaku Mech didn't really do anything wrong, but if I were in the pilot's seat, I'm afraid the thing would be a giant doorstop, if this was all I had to rev me up.

World Trigger is World Trigger. What can I say? I never know what the hell is going on, but I still love it anyway. I only just this episode realized that Hyuse is played by the same seiyuu as Furuya in Ace of Diamond. Which is funny since they're essentially the same character - socially awkward, goal-oriented, exceptionally skilled outsider learning how to make friends and play for the team. Smile

Disappointed like everyone else who's seen Mugen Train that this season will essentially recap the movie. But that's fine, this season is already loaded, though there's not much I'm hyper jazzed about yet.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
The shows I watched.

The Heike Story
Beautiful but a bit difficult to follow.

Digimon Ghost Game
In the past I was both a Pokemon and Digimon fan. There was not really any Digimon stuff that has hold by attention me since the first 2 series except for Cyber Sleuth. So far Ghost game has been quite charming. I like how everything is a bit futuristic. It's funny how Gammamon casually hacks an electronic lock in episode 2, like he's turning a doorknob.

Mieruko-chan
This is an odd one. It has equal parts horror and comedy so I'm not sure what genre it is. I'd like to follow this one a bit more to see where it goes.

The Vampire Dies in No Time
Not hilarious but funny enough and easy to watch.

takt op. Destiny
The first episode was fun and looks nice and sounds great. Second episode shows that it has a heart as well.

Sakugan
Nice enough but I liked takt op. more. May try episode 2 to get a better feel.

Rumble Garanndoll
Nothing really wrong with it but nothing really great about it either.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
…to be honest I found Farewell to Jigen kind of weak, but maybe I’d developed unreasonable expectations after seeing all the high ratings.

Garanndoll didn’t really catch my interest but I liked many of the things that inspired it and see how it could be enjoyable. Also first anime episodes often aren’t great representations of full seasons so who knows how it’ll continue.

Terry: As others have mentioned some of the translation choices in Heike Story make it even more difficult to follow than it would have been otherwise. I kind of wonder if the show assumes viewers will already have some basic knowledge of the subject e.g. from school. I had a look at the Wikipedia article after the first few episodes.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
No preview for Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu (Komi Can’t Communicate)? Or is that in the pipeline?

Episode 1 already aired in Japan (October 7), but streaming starts October 21.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17