• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruddor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
It has been brought to my attention that Seira = Sayla. I am now convinced, more than ever, that this series is someone's Gundam fanfic that somehow got turned into a golf anime.

Damn it's good to be back.

Also noticed a tiny yet cool detail in the opening; at the "Fly high baby" part, follow the dads' lines of sight. It's been there since the beginning.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Not forgetting that Eve's real family name spoiler[has now been revealed as Burton, her mother being Eleanor Burton - In Madlax the heroine was Margaret Burton who's maid was called Eleanor.
Coincidence, or something more sinister? Was Birdie Wing the secret sequel to Madlax all along??? ]
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Just coming in to say I appreciate the screenshot chosen for the latest review so much. Oh Birdie Wing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that my only real complaint so far is using the same opening song. After a break I was expecting we'd get another (hopefully) enjoyable opening tune.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Forgot to mention that my only real complaint so far is using the same opening song. After a break I was expecting we'd get another (hopefully) enjoyable opening tune.

It's almost as though the break wasn't planned and so there were no plans for a second OP, but the industry is on fire or something.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
So! Much! Drama!

Trying to explain this show to my wife, I sound like a crazed lunatic. But it's the sort of perfect lunacy that can only be achieved with a full measure of self awareness and commitment.

You never know which way it's going to leap next (though: back to Nefrace, apparently...presumably that's mother-dearest's doing... she's got a "is it all my fault?" scene in her future.. though maybe she and Amuro can retire somewhere far away from the world of high stakes golf once she's faced a reckoning with how her father twisted her into an image of himself).

It's a lot... but one thing it never is, is boring.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It says something about the genius/wackiness of this show that the idea our two leads are spoiler[merely sisters] would be too mundane. Why go with one soap opera-like twist when you can lean into a full triple gainer every chance you get!

I'm so, so, so glad to have this show back.

Quote:
Trying to explain this show to my wife, I sound like a crazed lunatic.

Same! Thankfully, my wife is a fellow nerd and while she doesn't watch much anime, she's very tolerant of my hobbies and just smiled and nodded when I told her about my love for this show... Laughing
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
While I agree golf isn't the most physically taxing sport, the body does pay for it later on. Mostly with back problems. If anything it's so mental and the show has done a good job showing it. Yes, they are competing with others but they are also competing with themselves.

For the mysterious golf disease. When Aoi collapsed and held her head I looked at my wife and said, "Its the brain pain coach."

This show is so out there, golf physics give way to anime physics, mafia golf, scandal in the big corporation and yuri. It's been a show that is so much better than it should be and I'm enjoying every second of it.
Regalli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Welp, Eve DOES have Golf Midichlorians, but given her mother seems to have no particular Golf Lineage and she genuinely did grow up without any particular golf training until she was seven, and then her next golf training was a few years later (if I'm getting the timeline right, because Eve's clearly about the same age as Aoi at 15ish,) that's... about as much of an underdog story as we could expect from this show's soap opera dramatics, even as her dad is a golf legend.

Speaking of which, is it just me or does that imply Lily's a couple years older than Eve? I feel like that can't possibly be right, but if Lily was ten and Klein thirteen, presumably "when they met" rather than "when Golf Char showed up", then Lily's more like seventeen now... which does explain why she's not going to school, I suppose, but I still struggle to believe this despite EVERYTHING ELSE I have accepted uncritically of Birdie Wing for whatever reason. She just gives off such strong younger sidekick vibes.

I do wonder what was going on about Eleanor's family that Kazuhiko decided he didn't care about. I'm sure we'll find out in the most dramatic way possible, though.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:32 am Reply with quote
It wouldn't be Birdie Wing without someone risking their life in golf.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
Speaking of which, is it just me or does that imply Lily's a couple years older than Eve? I feel like that can't possibly be right.

You're right, it's not right. We got ages for Klein & Lily in episode 8 when we saw their new ID cards. Klein is 18, Lily is 13, Emily is 5, Jessica & Charlotte are 4.
yuricon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Also want to point out that Remelda was the role played by Hisakawa Aya in Madlax. She was the state-sponsored assassin out to get Madlax. Like Aoi, she was captivated by Madlax (who had assimilated Margaret Burton at the end of the series) and they drive off into a warlord-torn Garth-Sonika together at the end of that anime.

Gimme them Madlax references.
champeagle3

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"... if there were ever a golfer-caddy pair who were Drift compatible, it's them."

Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hah, a newtype joke!

Thesarum wrote:
...presumably that's mother-dearest's doing... she's got a "is it all my fault?" scene in her future..

That sure came around quick.Though I really wasn't expecting it to be as a result of a tongue lashing from the stats nerd. She's come out of her shell a little this week. It's not clear what's driven that shift, but it's all good as she gets her own spotlight and postcard moments. And to sass her aunt with a USB stick containing graphs (the weapon of choice for a stats nerd I guess?).

I always enjoy Ichina's little voice over sections too. She's a fun character and her VA does great work with it.

Low key by Birdy standards (in that only maybe a dozen crazy things happened), but some good character moments.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
Great review as always. It hits different today since I'm reading it while on an actual golf course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10