• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
A certain scene made me think of wrong stuff:
Adan: You want to _________ 2B
9S: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

It has to be related with the true ending's climax but I bet we were all thinking of something else like a Gintama joke when Ginsan asked Katsura if he had a thing with a ramen shop.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
A certain scene made me think of wrong stuff:
Adan: You want to _________ 2B
9S: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

It has to be related with the true ending's climax but I bet we were all thinking of something else like a Gintama joke when Ginsan asked Katsura if he had a thing with a ramen shop.
Ahaha, that scene — it still makes people try to think what exactly Adam actually trying to imply there with its ambiguity since the game (except there it was made entirely in text), and good thing they actually went that way.

Also dang it, when anime went to show off the inside of the church inside the Copied City, my thoughts was only can be described as "Wait, REALLY?" - because if anything I had not expected from NieR anime for it going that meta, despite the show got enough meta with the inclusion of additional materials and the stuff that purely belong to other NieR games by itself.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The last 4 episodes where more exciting than the rest of the show.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmm, I'm intrigued about where the show is going, but some of the changes are significantly different in the final episode dumps, and I love some and do not like others. The story suddenly became VERY condensed and anime only viewers have lost out on a lot. As the reviewer noted, the scene of 9S and 2B's reunion is significantly weaker. Lots of character development isn't there and we miss out on the major sea battle, and 2B's quest to find 9S is shortened. As is usual, the sense of wonder of the game's environments continues to be missing entirely, though I do like some of the original content.

Consider me disappointed with the finale's adaptation. I still don't know how I feel about swapping Adam and Eve's roles, and it's a crime at how they adapted the 'Become as gods' portion, one of the most memorable sequences and story moments in the game. This was a change I hated, and many of the emphases of androids becoming more imitable of humans, while present, is rushed and greatly underscored.

TJ_Kat wrote:
Covnam wrote:
No, the letter is the model (their role), the number is not. As you yourself said, S stands for the Scanner model. To quote the wiki:
Quote:
YoRHa S-Type, or Scanner Type Models are a type of YoRHa android who specialize in espionage, infiltration, and data gathering.

There are multiple #S type models mentioned in the game. The number is the individual of that model.

2B literally says in this episode that she and A2 look alike because they are both No. 2 models.

I would assume that there is normally only one of any model active at any given time and that A2's... special circumstances have caused an exception to that.

Probablytomorrow wrote:
Aaaaaaand now I have a headcanon that 21O dyes her hair to match the Commander…

I like it. Seems like a very Yoko Taro detail to add to her background Razz

If I recall correctly, the number means the version, like updating (v 1.0 - v 2.0 - v 3.0 etc.) while the alphabets designate their job function (O - Operator, B - Battle, S - Scout/Scanner). So 9S is a Scout Android v 9.0. 2B is a Battle Android v 2.0. Older models exist alongside newer ones. Note that numbers aren't necessarily 'upgrades' but also a 'body type' or simply a successive name as you can have multiple members of the same make, but they are all designated names for differentiation purposes. And hair color also changed for individuality and distinguishing purposes.

'A' has not been revealed in the context of the show. All I will say for now is that, yes, 2B and A2 do indeed look the same. This is a deliberate discrepancy for reasons yet to be revealed.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Consider me disappointed with the finale's adaptation. I still don't know how I feel about swapping Adam and Eve's roles, and it's a crime at how they adapted the 'Become as gods' portion, one of the most memorable sequences and story moments in the game. This was a change I hated, and many of the emphases of androids becoming more imitable of humans, while present, is rushed and greatly underscored.

Yeah, I’d say that much of the religious commentary is lost when the machine lifeforms are forming their death cult under Adam’s influence rather than completely of their own accord.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
If I recall correctly, the number means the version, like updating (v 1.0 - v 2.0 - v 3.0 etc.) while the alphabets designate their job function (O - Operator, B - Battle, S - Scout/Scanner). So 9S is a Scout Android v 9.0. 2B is a Battle Android v 2.0. Older models exist alongside newer ones. Note that numbers aren't necessarily 'upgrades' but also a 'body type' or simply a successive name as you can have multiple members of the same make, but they are all designated names for differentiation purposes. And hair color also changed for individuality and distinguishing purposes.

The numbers are not version numbers. Officially, the number denotes the base personality construct. So all No. 2 models would have the same base personality (which is hinted to be based on Kaine) with variances based on their life experiences.

Side note; I thought I'd read somewhere that after A2 survived the Pearl Harbor Descent YoRHa viewed the No. 2 model to be exceptional for combat but tweaked it to remove some of the less desirable aspects. This could explain the bubbly A2 vs. stoic 2B. Alternately, we never saw what 2B was like 3 years earlier. Maybe she was more like the bubbly A2 before spoiler[she killed 9S 48 times]. Anyway, I can't find the source for this info anymore, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt.

Back on track, while I couldn't find anything that officially supported it, the number does seem to carry a physical element to it as well. In both the game and the anime Anemone/Lily mistake 2B for A2 on sight, and, as I've already mentioned, in the anime, 2B literally says she and A2 look alike because they are both No. 2 models.

There is a possibility that their appearance is a choice and that having the same base personality would lead to them choosing the same appearance. The reason I DON'T think this is the case is because of the mole both 2B and A2 have to the left of their mouth. That's a level of detail that I don't think either of them would be inclined to.

Edit: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5