• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of 2023

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayonakama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Goes to the mega-poll not to vote, but to remember what anime aired in 2023

I really don’t know about best, but I’ll list the ones I enjoyed most: Witch From Mercury, “Ippon” Again!, Buddy Daddies, Bungo Stray Dogs, Jujutsu Kaisen (Hidden Inventory more than the Shibuya Incident), and Pluto.

Bullbuster, Overtake!, Ooku, Otaku Elf, Pokémon Horizons and its ONAs, and Adult Precure and Soaring Sky Precure were also very, very strong.

Best/Favorite Character? It’s a tossup between Suguru Geto from Jujutsu Kaisen, and Miorine Rembrandt from Witch From Mercury. Geto was one of my favorite characters from the JJK manga, and I’m glad that the anime adaptation went above and beyond to portray his story (I still get emotional just watching the OP and ED for that arc). Miorine, I just have a weak spot for — her character design, her personality, her relationship with Suletta — I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed the anime as much if she hadn’t been there.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
For me, it's a close battle between Maomao and Yuzuki Gakuto.

In one of the early manga volumes (four, I think), they print the results of a character popularity poll, and somehow Mikoto won it. He's fine, but I personally think he pales in comparison to his two younger brothers.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Best Characters is almost too easy for me. Heiter is my favorite Frieren character as the combination of worldly but incredibly wise (both before and after he becomes older, though more later) and his views on the Goddess are something I really like. However, this year Iwakura Mitsumi from Skip and Loafer existed and made that season incredible with sheer pep and presence of mind. I love my smart and way in over her head daughter
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The 2023 award for the messiest show that I still liked a lot: The Fire Hunter

The award for the pretty decent show destined to be forgotten by time: Ippon Again

The award for the show with the most standalone sequences that never coalesced into a satisfying whole: Jujutsu Kaisen S2

The 'Made in Abyss' award for the most "No, just let me explain" reactions: Onimai

The award for the most technically impressive show that left me emotionally cold: A joint tie between Pluto & Trigun Stampede

The award for the best non-cannon ship: Misuzu & Carol from Tomo-chan is a Girl. Fight me, nerds.

The award for the best male character: Thorfin, Vinland Saga

The award for the best female character: Maomao, Apothecary Daries

The award for the best ensemble: A tie between the Bang Dream: MyGo disasters & the Ippon Again gremlins

The award for the show I was the most excited for and finished the most disappointed: Heavenly Delusion (hopefully a second season will wash the lingering bad taste away).

The award for the most disappointed anime fandom: For the sixth year running, it's Land of the Lustrous. Also, I regret to announce the death of the final fan of the previous winner, Full Metal Panic.

As for my actual top ten:

10. Undead Unluck
9. Dangers of my Heart
8. Ancient Magus Bride.
7. Skip & Loafer.
6. Apothecary Dairies.
5. Bang Dream: My Go!!!!
4. Frieren.
3. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off
2. AoT Finale
1. Vinland Saga S2.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
My best anime is going to be one of this year’s Pretty Cures, I just don’t know which one yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ooh fun superlatives time!

AOTY:
5. Yamada-kun at lvl 999 - Most of the series I watched this year were a bit on the heavier side, but when it comes to comedies (or more specifically rom-coms), Yamada-kun was easily the one I looked forward to the most each week. I loved Akane as a protagonist - a bit of a hot mess, but in that very early 20s way that you can't really help but relate to - and how Yamada's distant and detached personality played off her. Not to mention the supporting members of the guild ranging from best boy Eita to best parent, Kamota the strawberry farmer. Just a lot of fun and a reminder that director Morio Asaka (of Cardcaptor Sakura, Nana, Chihayafuru, & My Love Story fame) directing shojo/josei is always a win.

4. Frieren - High fantasy anime (whether its isekai or not) hasn't really grabbed me in recent years, but this was such a breath of fresh air! There's tragedy in its jumping off point, but it never overindulgences in it to a detriment, leaving plenty of room for levity. It's slowed down pace allows time to not only learn about this world and its inhabitants at a relaxed pace, but time to essentially stop and smell the roses - rather than speeding from one action set piece or emotional beat to the next. I'm fully along the ride for the journey wherever it goes!

3. Pluto - One of my favorite manga series and easily earns a spot on my list for its narrative and characters alone. The only thing bringing it down for me were some visual compositing issues here and there that otherwise marred fantastic scenes or animation showstoppers. And like my No. 1 choice, this was also one of the standout dubs I watched this year, helmed by Patrick Seitz (of the 00s Monster dub) and Kristen Perotti.

2. Vinland Saga S2 - Like Pluto, this was less of a surprise than others considering I was well familiar with the manga and really dug what the Farmland Arc went for - esp considering how much of a risky departure it was compared to the Prologue. But sometimes anime-only elements like adaptational choices (see Ep 17) and powerful vocal performances can carry an already fantastic story just a bit further and make those impactful moments hit even harder.

1. Trigun Stampede - I can understand why this series was a bit divisive with fans new and old but man, for me it absolutely worked as a visceral, exciting new vision for the Trigun manga and its decades-old characters. Never found it lacking or rushed in the writing department or thought it went for "style over substance" in any way. I absolutely felt everything it threw at me and am now waiting patiently to see if/when Studio Orange continues Vash and co.'s story. Everyone who worked on this series from director Kenji Muto, the visual department, composer Tatsuya Kato, to each voice actor both on the JPN and ENG side deserves all the accolades for making a show I went into fairly skeptically sing.

ETA for everything else...

Favorite Protagonist:
3. Thorfinn (Vinland Saga S2)
2. Akane (Yamada-kun at lvl 999)
1. Mao Mao (Apothecary Diaries)

Favorite Cast Ensemble:
3. Gundam: Witch From Mecury
2. Vinland Saga S2
1. Pluto

Favorite Dubs:
3. Frieren
2. Pluto
1. Trigun Stampede
(HMs: Heavenly Delusion, Boy & the Heron, My Happy Marriage, Link Click S2, MHA S6)

Favorite Dub Performances:
3. Miranda Parkin as Miyo (My Happy Marriage)
2. Major Attaway as Queen (One Piece)
1. Johnny Yong Bosch as Vash (Trigun Stampede)

Favorite Episode:
3. Vinland Saga S2 Ep 17 ("The Road Home")
2. Trigun Stampede Finale ("High Noon at July")
1. One Piece Ep 1062 ("Zoro vs King")
(HMs: Too many to list, but Frieren's premiere, Deku vs Class 1-A, & JJK's Hidden Inventory Arc + "Thunderclap" are up there)

Favorite Movie/Special:
3. Fate/Strange Fake OAD
2. Attack on Titan Finale
1. Gridman Universe (thanks United Airlines!)

Favorite Opening:
3. Heavenly Delusion
2. JJK S2 OP1
1. Link Click S2

Favorite Ending:
3. JJK S2 ED1
2. One Piece ED19
1. Gundam Witch From Mercury S2

Worst Anime (that I actually watched):
3. Demon Slayer S3
2. Ice Guy & His Cool Female Colleague
1. The Fire Hunter

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Favorite is definitely Vinland with Frieren close behind. The two also have pretty good protagonists but I kinda see Frieren as more unique while the growing Thorfinn gives me Himura Kenshin memories[/u]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
When it came to the Mega-Poll for best anime as well as responding as others do for this column, whoo boy how does one only have 10 or less favs this season? I decided on a strategy of avoiding the "obvious favorites" a large percentage would vote for so I could give votes to those shows that were good but likely be lower in the rankings and in danger of falling off the bottom. In no particular order according to me...

Obvious Choices
Freiren
Oshi No Ko
Pluto
Dr Stone
Danmachi
Scott Pilgrim (didn't see, taking people's word for it)
SpyxFamily
The Ancient Magus' Bride
The Eminence in Shadow and Zom100 (didn't see, seems good and really good)

Deserving of Votes
BOFURI S2- As good as S1, lots of fun
Butareba- No actual bestiality, well-written and interesting mystery story
Handyman Seito- Don't have to be a "genius" to be really valuable
Shangra La Frontier- A fun story with a lot of heart set in believable game (not SAO)
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale- Should be "obvious favorite", really good drama and romance
The Masterful Cat- Fun SOL with a touching backstory
KamiKatsu- Unconventional/Original comedy
Mushoku Tensei S3- Great artwork and good character study if you can stand the ED
Shield Hero S3- Points for improvement before it Jumped the Killer Whale...
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
Series which started fine, but the ending was something meh: Witch from Mercury.
Series which stopped caring in the third episode: Devil's a part-timer, JJK
Series I wanted to continue right after the last episode: Undead Farce, The Vampire dies in no time
Series I am glad they will continue: Frieren
Series "I am reading the manga so there is no hurry": Apothecary's diaries, Dead Mount Death Something
Series "well, at least the animation is fine": Demon Slayer.

Series "Too many, stop now": isekai, live video game RPG, live video game RPG isekai.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:37 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Pluto getting so much love around here Very Happy
as for me, here's my take on the year:
1- Pluto: Not only the anime of the year, but easily the best series of the last 10 years for me (pretty much since Shin Sekai Yori). A superb adaptation of one of the best manga ever written,enough said.
2- Attack on Titan finale: I know this is kinda cheating because it's not technically a series but I just have to put it there. If someone had told me AOT was going to develop its story and end like it did 10 years ago when the first season came out I would have never believed them, not in a million years. Kudos to the mangaka for sticking to his guns and creating a true masterpiece (at least it its last 30 episodes or so, after the final season started) of a series that could have very well followed the more traditional commercial route.
3- The fire Hunter: I know a lot of people were put off by the obvious production issues this series had, but I just freaking loved it form start to finish (really looking forward to S2 which is starting in just a couple of weeks). One of the most unique and beautiful fantasy series I've watched in a long time.
4- Nier Automata: Another series that had a ton of production issues but, just like the Fire Hunter, I just loved everything about it. One of the most unique and beautiful Sci-fi series that have come out in the last few years. Hopefully we'll get S2 soon...
5- Vinland Saga 2: Nothing much to add here to what others have said. Just a pitch-perfect adaptation of an incredible manga. I really hope we get more seasons down the line but I think the ending was satisfiying enough so I'm more than happy with the story ending like that.
Honorable mentions: Revenger (woefully underrated, IMO), Migi and Dali and a bunch of Chinese and American series that I don't know if they qualify as anime but were outstanding anyway: Link Click S2 (absolutely gripping stuff), Aiyou de mishi (fantastic psychological thriller), Blades of the Guardians, Blue eye Samurai, Scavengers Reign and Pantheon.
Best Movie: Lonely Castle in the Mirror (absolutely beautiful, made me cry like a little baby)
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
As always I watched way too much anime. I can't easily have a top 5/10 so I'll just list what I really enjoyed and what I felt was disappointing/mediocre/boring.

I enjoyed/had a lot of fun watching
16bit Sensation: ANOTHER LAYER
AI no Idenshi
Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku
BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story 2
BLEACH
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu
Buddy Daddies
BULLBUSTER
Dark Gathering
Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu
Dekoboko Majo no Oyako Jijou
Dr. STONE: NEW WORLD
Edomae Elf
Golden Kamuy 4
Hanma Baki Season 2
Helck
Horimiya: piece
Jigokuraku
Jujutsu Kaisen 2
Kamierabi
Keikenzumi na Kimi to, Keiken Zero na Ore ga, Otsukiai suru Hanashi.
Kimi no Koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo
Lv1 Maou to One Room Yuusha
Mahoutsukai no Yome 2
MF Ghost
Migi to Dali
Mou Ippon!
Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu
My Home Hero
Niehime to Kemono no Ou
Onii-chan wa Oshimai!
ONINMUSHA
Ooku
Ooyukiumi no Kaina & Hoshi no Kenja
Oshi no Ko
Ousama Ranking - Yuuki no Takarabako
Overtake
PLUTO
Ragna Crimson
REVENGER
Rokudou no Onna-tachi
Rurouni Kenshin (2023)
Shangri-La Frontier
Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season SP 2 & 3
Skip to Loafer
Sousou no Frieren
Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari
Tengoku Daimakyou
Tokyo Revengers: Seiya Kessen-hen
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!
Tonikaku Kawaii 2nd Season & Joshikou-hen
Trigun Stampede
Tsurune: Tsunagari no Issha
Undead Girl Murder Farce
UNDER NINJA
VINLAND SAGA 2
Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon
Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai

Additional comments
UNDER NINJA: Absolutely ridiculous.
Kamierabi: Shaky start but eventually grew on me, the powers where interesting.
BULLBUSTER: Really solid workplace drama with some mecha action.
Ooyukiumi no Kaina: World building elements where great and the CG was actually really good.

Didn't enjoy them/found them to be mediocre
Alice Gear Aegis Expansion
Ars no Kyojuu
Ayakashi Triangle
Eiyuu-ou, Bu wo Kiwameru Tame Tenseisu: Soshite, Sekai Saikyou no Minarai Kishi♀
FLCL: Shoegaze & Grunge
G-Witch
Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2
Hoshikuzu Telepath
Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu
Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san 2nd Attack
Isekai Shoukan wa Nidome desu
Kanojo mo Kanojo Season 2
Kanojo, Okarishimasu 3rd Season
Kawagoe Boys Sing
Kizuna no Allele
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!
Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai
Liar Liar
Masamune-kun no Revenge R
Ningen Fushin no Boukensha-tachi ga Sekai wo Sukuu you desu
Nokemono-tachi no Yoru
Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega
S-Rank Musume
Shin Shinka no Mi: Shiranai Uchi ni Kachigumi Jinsei
SYNDUALITY Noir
Temple
Tensei Kizoku no Isekai Boukenroku: Jichou wo Shiranai Kamigami no Shito
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War
Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou.
Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu!
Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha
Yuusha ga Shinda!

Additiona comments:
Masamune-kun no Revenge R: Felt disjointed from season 1 and at times felt like it was a different show. Conclusion wrapped up far too quickly and felt rushed.
Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san 2nd Attack: I thought it would be more like season 1 but the toned-down antics got stale quickly.
Liar Liar. The Rules are made up and the points don't matter!
Kanojo mo Kanojo Season 2 & Kanojo, Okarishimasu 3rd Season: I'm only watching them because I watched the previous seasons and keep thinking it could get better...
Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2: Same as above, though it was worse.
FLCL: Cash grab riding on the fame of its progenitor.
G Witch: Let's push everything aside to progress the main plot point at the 11th hour.

There is so much more I could add but I'd be listing 200+ titles and I wanted to keep it at 100 max.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
In one of the early manga volumes (four, I think), they print the results of a character popularity poll, and somehow Mikoto won it. He's fine, but I personally think he pales in comparison to his two younger brothers.

He's my least favorite among all four brothers.

The absence of Insomniacs After School from everyone's lists here is a travesty. I think it's the best wholesome adolescent romance I've seen in years. Was it limited by being carried exclusively on HIDIVE? I do find it hard to justify subscribing to a service on which I watch maybe one series per season. Last one was Helck.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
Best series of 2023 for me was by far The Dangers in my Heart. It did a fantastic job of adapting one of the best edgy and sweet romcom manga I've read in recent years & the voice actors just nailed it. I personally prefer the manga because it has even more subtle narrative details and innuendos which are hard to adapt as an anime and the author, Sakurai Norio, is sometimes unhinged when it comes to fanservice and trolling her readers (just check out her X account), but still. BokuYaba was on top and I'm looking forward for season 2.

Close in second comes Insomniacs After School for its wholesome depiction of a romantic relationship and coming of age story in a backdrop of rural Japan and stunning land- and nightscapes. I'm also a big fan of the manga and my only regret is that the anime has only one season as for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:14 am Reply with quote
In order to avoid repeating the typical Vinland Saga favoritism I have, best moment for me was when Vash fought his brother in Trigun Stampede. Knives kept insisting that humans were dangerous and wanted to kill them. Vash simply responds "Well, then I'll just run away from them until they don't want do that. What's wrong with running away?" It was such a simple line but it completely destroys Knives who responds with "I'm no longer Nai, your brother" and the next minutes are Studio Orange making the most beautiful CGI fight scene.

On another note, I kinda liked most scenes from Heavenly Delusion involving Kiruko and Maru. These two had a beautiful chemistry to the point they named their van Kirukomaru Mark II.

In the case of Frieren, the dance amazing was beautifully animated and showed Fern and Stark with beautfiul expressions in contrast to their typical tsundere moments.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
While it would be easy to mention several Frieren moments for Best, like Heiter tricking Frieren into getting an apprentice, Stark's fight with the dragon, Himmel with the ring, etc. But I'm gonna go with Geto's downfall in Jujutsu Kaisen 2 as the best moment instead, as that was a very very well done episode, with great direction that really elevated that entire arc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16