• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Anticipated Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for everyone looking forward to Whisper Me a Love Song. Because the show is going to be an absolute trainwreck. Not only did they delay the show by a season, they also replaced the director, which is never a good sign. At the time, they also showed the first PV, which only included scenes from the first two chapters of the manga, all of which were nothing more than colored manga panels. Since then we've only gotten a single second trailer which wasn't able to show too much more of the story and which also didn't really look that good. Though that really doesn't come as a suprise, the studio combination is rather inexperienced and doesn't have the best track record. So overall I exptect this one to be below average, which is a shame, because it could have been decent. Will be interesting to see if people will be dosappointed by the result or if everyone will just be happy to have another yuri story, completely ignoring bad animation and unlikeable characters.

Apart from that, it looks like another strong sequel season, the only show I'm really looking forward to is Shūmatsu Train Doko e Iku?, mostly because it is an original show, so it will have a conclusive ending. At least that's what I hope for. Also, it leaves a lot open since there is no source material, so spoilers aren't a thing. The same might also be true for Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai, but I'm not too sure about the story here, I might have missed some news here. Either way, at least I'll have more anime than in this quiet winter season, which pretty much had me watching two new shows in addition to two leftovers from the last season, so that's something more meta I'm looking forward to.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
Oh, completely forgot about Demon Slayer... Guess the whole season being called Training Arc is quite a turn off like if the producers are forcing the staff to put make as many pointless episodes as possible. I mean, the same happened last season where nearly every character had long flashbacks focused on how tragic are their lives or something. Except the pinkhaired girl who rather than having tragedy, just couldn't get married or something.... And the action even seemed kinda boring in that season with little context for the most important thing involving whatever happened to Nezuko.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
I am extremely interested in how BONES it's going to tackle this season of Hero Academia.

There is just too much going on at the same time with a lot of chaos and there is only 2 points where they could stop, and one of them it's too son and the other too far away.

Truth be told, some chapters are shorter than the average so they may get to the second point without a lot of sacrifice.

Last edited by Minos_Kurumada on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am extremely interested in how MAPPA it's going to tackle this season of Hero Academia.

My Hero Academia's anime adaptation is handled by Studio BONES, not MAPPA. (And considering MAPPA's reputation nowadays, it's probably not the best idea to give them any more big-name shonen manga to animate...)

Personally, the only anime I'm looking forward to from next season at the moment is season 3 of Laid-Back Camp. Though if any others catch my interest after they start airing, I might watch something else as well.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
Very excited for more Mushoku Tensei! Smile The main novel series just finished in English and just waiting for the side story volumes to come from Seven Seas.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am extremely interested in how MAPPA it's going to tackle this season of Hero Academia.

My Hero Academia's anime adaptation is handled by Studio BONES, not MAPPA. (And considering MAPPA's reputation nowadays, it's probably not the best idea to give them any more big-name shonen manga to animate...)

Personally, the only anime I'm looking forward to from next season at the moment is season 3 of Laid-Back Camp. Though if any others catch my interest after they start airing, I might watch something else as well.

FIXED.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quoth Blood:

Quote:
I forgot to cite [Demon Slayer] in my post. Make room in the Uncool Kid Club for me because I still love this franchise.

Sing it, brother.

Sayeth smurky turkey

Quote:
Same, though I did find the last season to get a tad tedious at times.

I can't say I disagree with that either, as I think the last couple of arcs, for all their stupendously incredible fighting animation, were a tad too battle oriented for me. I think you need some downtime in there to give the viewers a breather. I'm hoping the new arc spends some down time with the characters again before we move on to the next big fracas. I do like, however, that the anime (like the manga, obviously) is clearly heading towards an actual conclusion to the story.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
There are works with more prestige, or immediate mysterious draw like a number of originals already mentioned, and so on, but Blue Archive the Animation has been my most anticipated since mention last year -- all the more so since hearing "Eden Treaty" mentioned in the early minutes shown, implying they'll be adapting the full main story. Which I would love. Warts and all, this game makes me smile so much, and if it is consistently done justice I'll likely be smiling even more. There's a precious heart to the Abydos / Countermeasures Committee arc that while far from the best of all available stories, sets the mood for what's to come so well. On top of, of course, charming me in its own right. I'm a sucker for all forms of of love and friendship overcoming noxious obstacles and Blue Archive is no different, just also Kivotos is a sugary, colorful Hell on... not-Earth. So exactly right up my alley. I just hope it's done well and done justice. It's not just my most anticipated of this season, but this entire year.

WIND BREAKER is one I've been slowly working through. What I've read has been much more convincingly crafted, on its own terms, than the currently-airing BUCCHIGIRI?!, and has a lot of the heart I also like... and violence. The directing and detailed animation I've seen looks like all of that will really have a necessary punch to it too. I need to read a lot more, but I could see this becoming a recent favorite. I also did not even consider the alternative reading until this moment...

Finally there's Mysterious Disappearances which is just... pretty weird. Just on its own terms, before getting into how it is so palpably written by someone that gets the sort of vibe of staying up until 2 AM reading about noxious happenings, urban legends and myths and creepypastas, and the exact boundaries between fact or fiction whether or not those words themselves are fact or fiction. I've really been liking how consciously it blends Japanese folklore and urban legends while keeping it both accessible, and more than a mere Easter egg for those that know what's being discussed. I already imagine a few things that can upset people, not even having caught up yet, though it always comes tied to this warmth for its characters and the struggles or traumas represented that is also right up my alley.

I'm not sure what to say about Train To The End of The World or Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night or Secret AiPri, but those are up there too. This is an almost-embarrassingly stacked season for me, haha...

I'm skipping a number of "big hits" this season, for another time. But I hope Whisper Me a Love Song is worked wonderfully, alongside the other expected breakouts, to say the least.

Last edited by InfiniteNothingness on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
What no love for Eupho 3 from the writers?

I know the end result already but it’s still going to make me cry buckets - the trailers already have me welling up. Sunday evening is Eiphon evening

Also no mention of Demon Slayer with its May premiere - how will that work! No preview and direct preview less vote? James Beckett ruminating over it will be required weekly reading!!!
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I should stop reading this article every season, it just adds more to my list of things to check out Anime smile + sweatdrop Laughing

For returning series I'm most looking forward to Konosuba finally returning. Followed by Slime, Duke of Death (all 3rd seasons which is nice to see) and Tensei S2P2.

For adapted series I am familiar with, Spice & Wolf and Aristocrat are at the top.

For new (to me) series I'm not familiar with, Kaiju, Ranger and Yozakura hold the top spots.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Haven't yet looked too closely at what's airing (I will next week once FUNimation's website is shut down and I have more time), especially non-sequels, but I'm shocked there's no mention of Date A Live V or Sound! Euphonium 3 in this article, the latter I find very shocking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Why wasn’t Himitsu no AiPri included in the Spring Trailer Watch Party?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, that's my gut feeling, but I think Jellyfish, Eupho S3 and Shuumatsu Train are my picks of shows I'm actually excited about. Both Konosuba and Yuru Camp changed their staff recently and I'm not sure they'll have the same feeling to them anymore. And with Whisper me a Love Song, I'm convinced that the material itself is to my tastes, but with every news, I'm increasingly concerned that it'll be a trainwreck of an adaptation, but let me be wrong this time around. As for Ranger Reject, I'm reading the manga, and it sure is a delight to read it weekly, and it looks like it gets a worthwhile adaptation, so I'm happy for the newcomers, although I might end up binging it later.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Including the rest of Nimja Kamui, I have 16 anime(a record for me!) that I'm planning to watch this season. Just because no one has mentioned it yet, Bartender has a lot of potential, with the look and vibe the PVs provided.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Haven't yet looked too closely at what's airing (I will next week once FUNimation's website is shut down and I have more time), especially non-sequels, but I'm shocked there's no mention of Date A Live V or Sound! Euphonium 3 in this article, the latter I find very shocking.

Can't speak for the writers (or anyone else in this thread for that matter since it hasn't been mentioned), but while I'll be watching DAL V, I didn't think IV was that great (and almost dropped it), so it's not high on my list.

Sound Euphonium is a series I'd like to watch some day, but for now it's in my backlog
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3