• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Subscriptions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I love that ANN is a small enough company that the CEO can call people out like that. Smile

I only turn off the double underline ads, gorilla nation and if I see an ad that might be borderline NSFW I turn off that specific "ads by" line because I often browse at work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You can turn off individual ads... learn something new every day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not specific ads, specific ad networks. Really, it was only J-list that I banned for borderline NSFW reasons, everything else is because of super annoying ads from networks that weren't anime industry specific (there was a while there where the invasive ads thread was a really active place). I wouldn't nix TRSI or Funi or any of the other distributor ads.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
It looks like Gorilla Nation was the only ad supplier on the UK site since after turning that off I've had no ads anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Not everyone's a dick like you.

When I came across this comment a few days ago, I had hit the reply option and pounded out a very nasty letter, filled with finger-pointing and rude opinions.

Once I pressed the Preview button, re-read what I wrote, I decided it was too much of an attack.

You call him the dick without realizing why the software was created to begin with.

I envy the assumption you never experienced such ads which have evolved to the point most users now need Flash blocking software. For every advancement of technology comes corporate uses to annoy the crap out of people with it.

I'm even more disappointed you didn't even take the time to ask why he's blocking the ads. Worse, you didn't even ask him to whitelist the site.

Instead, you took the all-too-common corporate attitude it's a customer's fault the business isn't generating revenue.

I don't expect you to apologize, as I know it's frustrating to run a business on the internet. But this is a tool, not a store. Just because customers of ANN look in the window doesn't require them to make a purchase.

It's just very disappointing to see you attack someone like this.

Robert
ANN Subscriber
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello,

First of all, QuinnM is not a subsciber, so right off the bat you know that he's not supporting this site directly. Then he goes and talks about using AdBlock to prevent ads... when the TOPIC of the THREAD is about ANN Subscriptions.

So, what is any rational-minded person supposed to conclude? The conclusion is that QuinnM is advocating for avoiding all ads for this site even if you don't support it directly through subscriptions.

If I were the guy running this site (which he is), then I can understand why he might be perturbed at someone advocating making use of this site without giving anything back: that has a direct effect on him and everyone he hires to run this site. I agree with him: That's a dick suggestion to make.

Now, perhaps QuinnM didn't *mean* to come across that way. Maybe he wasn't trying to suggest that people avoid one of the means that exists to help pay for this particular site, but there is nothing in what he said to indicate that this site wasn't included in his suggestion.

I don't think Tempest was out of line at all. I really wouldn't have expected him to say anything other than what he did. If, after all I just said, you still have a problem with Tempest's post, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I don't think Tempest was out of line at all.

This thread says different: A Request for Politeness and Respect

Oh, but silly me - naturally that request doesn't apply for CEOs. Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I was just giving my own view on the matter (which I stand behind). If you look at it differently, that's fine by me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, if I was a business owner who depended on getting revenue from ad-based clicks, I'd feel the same way tempest does. It's just that I think there is a more professional way to convey that then calling somebody a dick. But people hold internet sites to a different standard of conduct when it comes to business practices, as your attitude shows. In the "real" business world, even if a customer or potential customer is being a dick, you don't actually say what you are thinking. That doesn't mean you take guff, but it also means you don't lower yourself by using childish insults, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2