• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote
Because they made Athrun and Cagalli forget any character development from the first season of SEED, they made Kira and Lacus (and I'm a fan of these two) way too perfect this season, mew just come back without a half assed explanition, a lot of the new cast was just horrible and were made to look like retards.

Stock footage and reused animations hit were massively used, the Strike Gundam made an appearance in the 10-19's, the impulse/saviour would use a freedom move over and over (which funnily enough got some shinn fanboys going wow that was awesome kira would never do that).

The recap episodes were probably around the same amount as the first SEED but SEED from episode 29-50 had zero recaps, Destiny otoh had several recap episodes down the stretch which completely killed off the momentum of some fights/plots.

Thanks to the scriptwriters incompetence we had to suffer 2 recap episodes in the last 10 episodes of the series.

Horrible ending as well, the only thing Destiny improved upon was a much better musical score overall. I still think the last 20 episodes of SEED was the musical highpoint of the series (Mainly OST III) but from the get go Destiny had some great pieces. I really liked Shinn's/Destiny's theme late in the series.

I seriously think someone who has never seen the series would be better off watching the 4 special edition movies instead of the 50 episodes tv series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
At the very least, the movies won't have the recap episodes and won't waste as much of your time. It's unlikely they would fix any of the other problems and there are far, far too many problems (and big ones, and major plot elements) to really redeem it, but they would be a bit more more bearable.

A really don't feel like typing my issues with series again, especially when Nagisa has already got it covered.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Criticizing Gundam SEED Destiny is a very tricky subject. Most people merely claim that the flaws are merely extensions of those in Gundam SEED, which is not the case. Gundam SEED was a fantastic series, whereas Destiny was a victim of its predecessor's popularity on a catastrophic level. Simply put, it was the fans who killed GSD dead in its tracks.

Just listen to Nagisa. He has it figured out. And to the person who started the thread: watch the whole series and you'll understand what's wrong with the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Gundam SEED wasn't perfect and had some problems, but Destiny magnifies those and adds in dozens more.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
I did not watch Seed, I watched Destiny and I loved it. The only problem was Cargalli and her ideology. I find her ideology unrealistic and her “side” actually won the war as the “good guys”. I have no respect for Athrun as a soldier because he does not know whose side he is on and keeps asking stupid questions like why he is fighting. A soldier who asked such questions won't be able to identify the enemy, it is unacceptable for a military man to behave in this way. I have more respect for Shinn because he stayed loyal to his call as a soldier till the end. Shinn never defected. As long as Athrun is with Cargalli, he will not be the warrior he is meant to be. I am unhappy with the ending because the “Good guys” are explicitly, publicly promoted and rewarded for their efforts. I have more respect for humble, simple, quiet endings where the good guy/s did their job excellently without material rewards. I hope this Destiny type ending won’t happen again in Gundam 00. It’s too simplistic, no casualties or injuries.

I won't compare Seed and Destiny to MS Gundam, MS 08th Team, 0083, 0080, Zeta and CCA. I miss Char Aznable. At this point, I don’t see a character in Destiny that could possibly come close to match Char’s cult status. Destiny lacks a creditable enemy.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Gundam SEED wasn't perfect and had some problems, but Destiny magnifies those and adds in dozens more.

True. Also though, I think the problems in SEED were relatively isolated. You could get past the fact that all the character designs were very similar, or when there was a recap episode, suffer through it and then continue with the story afterwards, or even with reused animation.

As for Destiny,

Like Nagisa said, "it's just a plain, bad show". The problems were much more engrained into the actual characters, plot, etc. and those kinds of problems are alot tougher to get over.

SEED was fairly good but with flaws. If you could get past those flaws, its pretty enjoyable.

Destiny was just a flat out bad show. Not to mention it retained the flaws in SEED, making it both flawed and just plain bad.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
I did not watch Seed, I watched Destiny and I loved it. The only problem was Cargalli and her ideology. I find her ideology unrealistic and her “side” actually won the war as the “good guys”. I have no respect for Athrun as a soldier because he does not know whose side he is on and keeps asking stupid questions like why he is fighting. A soldier who asked such questions won't be able to identify the enemy, it is unacceptable for a military man to behave in this way. I have more respect for Shinn because he stayed loyal to his call as a soldier till the end. Shinn never defected. As long as Athrun is with Cargalli, he will not be the warrior he is meant to be. I am unhappy with the ending because the “Good guys” are explicitly, publicly promoted and rewarded for their efforts. I have more respect for humble, simple, quiet endings where the good guy/s did their job excellently without material rewards. I hope this Destiny type ending won’t happen again in Gundam 00. It’s too simplistic, no casualties or injuries.

I won't compare Seed and Destiny to MS Gundam, MS 08th Team, 0083, 0080, Zeta and CCA. I miss Char Aznable. At this point, I don’t see a character in Destiny that could possibly come close to match Char’s cult status. Destiny lacks a creditable enemy.

Athrun pretty much forgot what he learned in Seed, which is the real why he asks so many questions. I guess the creators realised that too many people died in Seed that they wanted the ending in Desitiny to be a Hallmark moment. If you watch Seed you will learn to appreciate the "good guys" (Orb) since they were the theme/message in Seed.

EDIT: in Seed/Destiny it was great how there were no bad/good guys (well there was one bad guy in both) because it's supposed to show how in war both sides are fighting for the same ideals. That's why Seed is way better because it has a strong message about war.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
This is what I wrote in another thread regarding Destiny...
Quote:
Whimpy characters have their own sort of charm as long as they stay within the boundaries of reality...As far as I can see Shin...I mean no kid that I've ever known, NONE, would display the same level of irresponsibility/inconsideration after going through the things he did.

I had a lot of difficulties going through the show because all the characters are just so darn inarticulate! I don't remember I was in anyway as incapable of expressing my opinions and beliefs as them when I was their age and have never seen other kids like them. If you want to say something to your friends, SAY IT! Don't just stand there looking confused and angry and then cry/whine yourself to sleep!...even the Japanese exchange students in my old high school...didn't have any trouble in making themselves coherent verbally.
and also...I totally sympathise with you lot who cannot STAND the "perfect Mr. Jesus Yamato and girlfriend" mentality. So when all the other characters in Destiny are supposed to still be growing and maturing, there are two completely morally flawless human teenagers fighting to spread justice and guiding everyone to a peaceful future? GIVE ME A BREAK! Those two are completely redundant characters - all they do is point out the obvious to the rest of the incredibly thick-headed cast. And as people have pointed out before, some of the people carried over from Seed are either totally out of character or have suffered a regression in their maturity level (Cagalli, for example.)

Aside from unrealistic/undeveloped characters, which are obvioulsy created as fangirl/fanboy-pleasers, the story itself is one huge mess. It started off well with emphasis on the prejudices still upheld by many people, the legacy of Seed, which presents many difficult challenges to our main protagonists. But after a while that idea got tossed aside in favour of bad character drama and personal tragedies and the sudden introduction of the so-called "Destiny Plan" in the last two/three episodes just makes it all the more confusing. The exact nature and method of that scheme was never explained and the naivete of it pretty much cuts off any resemblance to reality. The plan just looks like something the production crew decided to put in at the last minute in order to provide a convenient conclusion to the series.

Yeah, I think Gundam Seed is pretty decent but Seed Destiny is just a crappy sequel that's too far removed from its original to be likable.
Souppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching GSD. I enjoyed SEED more than I thought I would but the Destiny part was just... well, not my type let's say. The way SEED ended, I never thought they would do a sequel because there was no ''open door'' to do one. They had to bring new characters to support the story and they used the old ones in wrong ways. For example, Athrun stood up to his father and accepted to be a prisonner for the Orb's ideal in SEED and he forgets about that in Destiny... weird. Cagali had more guts in the first one and now, she lost that intensity somehow. Lacus and Kira are O.K. in my mind because they don't change but they did mistakes in SEED and they doubted at a point or another... different than Destiny. And they couldn't create a new character to be the main ennemy... the masked one again... lol.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This is another good point. SEED was not set up to have a direct sequel. Forcing one where it really didn't work put Destiny at a disadvantage from the start.

Plus, because the characters had already developed to the extend they did in SEED, for them to return in a major role they had to either: a) forget everything they learned in SEED. ie. Athrun and Cagalli b) have a Jesus complex ie. Kira and Lacus
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
That's right, Kira was suppose to die in SEED 50 but due to his massive popularity in japan which continues to this day the director changed his mind. IIRC the main reason they green lighted a SEED sequel were the stunning dvd sales (as opposed to avg/poor model kit sales) it had, avg 50-60k when 10k is considered a success made a sequel a no brainer.

Unfortunately to make a sequel they had to like ikillchicken said change the existing characters for the worse and shoehorn some bullcrap into the plot like Cagalli having a betrothed even though she run around trying to hump Kira for 20-30 episodes. Cagalli was my fav character from the original SEED but she lost her backbone/spunkiness in the sequel. Athrun just equaled the hand on head ascii art, Kira/Lacus were perfect, Mwu had no explanation for being back, Gilbert/Rey/Logos/druggies were not as good as their first season counterparts and the new characters just sucked especially Shinn.

For a sequel (which looking at Destiny dvd sales is a matter of when not if) Lacus has to be end up being the SEED version of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (sp) from Star Wars.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This is another good point. SEED was not set up to have a direct sequel. Forcing one where it really didn't work put Destiny at a disadvantage from the start.

War's don't tend to end easily. Patrick Zala was gone, but the enmity between Naturals and Coordinators didn't die with him by any means. There were plenty of directions they could have gone and they even got off to a decent start. Remember that the original Gundam wasn't created with a sequel in mind either. Plenty of other shows have been created to be a one season/series show and manage to have good sequels. So I don't think GSD really had a 'disadvantage' at all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
well sure from a superficial plot related perspective there was room for continuation. However in terms of the characters, and their devlopment, as well as just the general ideas and themes, it had been pretty much completed.

This means, like I said already for the characters to return they needed to entirely forget what they had learned in SEED, or come back as totally uninteresting, characters with no further room for development.

This meant they would have had to come up with mostly entirely new characters. (which they tried and failed at) Not only that though, they would have had to come up with new themes and ideas to center around or otherwise it would just be a rehashing of SEED. Maybe in the type of show where the themes and ideas are just concepts presented continuously throughout that would be fine, but because of the way this stuff developed as SEED progressed, this is really pretty weak if repeated.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Using new characters shouldn't be a problem. And it would have been possible to continue to grow characters like Athrun and Cagalli, Destiny just handled them terribly. Heck, it should have been possible to do something good with Kira and Lacus as well, at least as minor characters.

None of those things would have been impossible or even particularly difficult to do. GSD just failed hard at it, like it did on just about every level.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
it would have been possible to continue to grow characters like Athrun and Cagalli

Saying that doesnt make it true.

Coming up with new characters is possible, but its alot harder than just continuing with the already good and successful characters you have. Infact Id say its even harder than coming up with characters in a brand new show, because then youve got a blank slate.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9