• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
That's right, Kira was suppose to die in SEED 50 but due to his massive popularity in japan which continues to this day the director changed his mind. IIRC the main reason they green lighted a SEED sequel were the stunning dvd sales (as opposed to avg/poor model kit sales) it had, avg 50-60k when 10k is considered a success made a sequel a no brainer.

Unfortunately to make a sequel they had to like ikillchicken said change the existing characters for the worse and shoehorn some bullcrap into the plot like Cagalli having a betrothed even though she run around trying to hump Kira for 20-30 episodes. Cagalli was my favorite character from the original SEED but she lost her backbone/spunkiness in the sequel. Athrun just equaled the hand on head ascii art, Kira/Lacus were perfect, Mwu had no explanation for being back, Gilbert/Rey/Logos/druggies were not as good as their first season counterparts and the new characters just sucked especially Shinn.

For a sequel (which looking at Destiny dvd sales is a matter of when not if) Lacus has to be end up being the SEED version of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (sp) from Star Wars.

I'm glad Kira didn't die, that would be too depressing. Those three extended guys in Seed were awesome, especially the one with the scythe. They were badass, while the new three didn't have much of a personality. (Stella needs to lay off the drugs)
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Stellar was a horrible character, easily the worst one out of the 3 Houko Kuwashima voiced in the series. At least Flay Allster & Natarle Badgiruel did something worthwhile at the end instead of sounding like a retard saying shiiiiiin.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
I am disappointed that all the main characters escaped death and injury. This is like fairy tale.....and they live happily ever after richly rewarded for their actions.

If Lacus is so keen on a military career, the scaring of her pretty face won't be too high a price to pay.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
it would have been possible to continue to grow characters like Athrun and Cagalli

Saying that doesnt make it true.

Uh, what? You think it was impossible then? Please explain, because that makes no sense. And Cagalli did grow, kind of. She just went backwards and sideways in all the wrong directions before ultimately magically becoming a good leader.

Quote:
Coming up with new characters is possible, but its alot harder than just continuing with the already good and successful characters you have. Infact Id say its even harder than coming up with characters in a brand new show, because then youve got a blank slate.

Zeta Gundam didn't have this problem, nor did ZZ (though it has a completely different set of problems, from what I hear). And lets not forget the OVAs like 0080 or 08th MS Team. It's entirely possible to make a new series in the same world with new main characters and I don't think its nearly as difficult as you are making it sound. It depends on how the series is set up and ends and what draws people to the series, of course, but Gundam is the perfect kind of series to do this with.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
just saying "there was more to do with those characters" which is all youre doing, isnt much of an arguement. What could they have still done?

I should elaborate though, there was no room for a direct sequel. A sequel set in the same world is really a pretty different thing. Then it can be a spinoff, or something totally different, or something set quite a while later.

A direct sequel is generally more of the same, largely a continuation of the original. Thats really hard to do with a very complete series like SEED.

With Zeta, perhaps it deserves some credit for overcoming this same disadvantage, but then, I dont think the original gundam was as conclusive as SEED. Maybe Im wrong here (I haven't seen the original) but I dont really think it had nearly as much character development or underlying themes. Therefore, its quite possible to just continue the storyline.

I suppose they werent at a disadvantage from the very moment they decided to make another series set in CE. But as soon as they decided to make it a direct sequel to SEED they were.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
just saying "there was more to do with those characters" which is all youre doing, isnt much of an arguement. What could they have still done?

What, so people suddenly are incapable of growing and maturing after a certain point? Characters can change and evolve from any point, they don't have to stay the same in Part 2 just because they already had some growth and development in part 1. Athrun could have become bitter and dislusioned with either side of the conflict and lead a revolt or something. Or he could go some other direction. Cagalli could have slowly learned to be an effective leader or she could have learned that her pacifistic ideals are insane. And, of course, their relationship could have evolved.

Characters like Kira and Lacus could have also grown and evolved a bit more. The examples I provided for Athrun and Cagalli could work similarly for Kira and Lacus.

Of course, GSD decided to have Athrun go through the same damn thing he went through in SEED, turned Cagalli into... something that wasn't Cagalli, and turned Kira and Lacus into gods.

Quote:
I should elaborate though, there was no room for a direct sequel. A sequel set in the same world is really a pretty different thing. Then it can be a spinoff, or something totally different, or something set quite a while later.

There was plenty of room for a direct sequel. The Earth Alliance or whatever it was called still existed, ZAFT still existed, and the enmity between the Naturals and Coordinators didn't magically disappear when Patrick Zala and La Creuset were defeated. And there are billions of people on the planet, so there were plenty of options for new main characters.

ikillchicken wrote:

A direct sequel is generally more of the same, largely a continuation of the original. Thats really hard to do with a very complete series like SEED.

Um, no, its not. Each Nanoha "season" was a complete series on its own, and they were still able to make sequels. Kaleido Star's first season was a complete story, but they were able to make a second one just fine. Crest of the Stars (even the original novel trilogy) was a complete story on its own, but it was perfectly possible to continue it.

Certainly, not all series are really open to a direct sequel. You really can't make a sequel to Madlax, Scrapped Princess, or Texhnolyze, for example. But Gundam SEED isn't one of those kinds of series.

Quote:
With Zeta, perhaps it deserves some credit for overcoming this same disadvantage, but then, I don't think the original gundam was as conclusive as SEED. Maybe Im wrong here (I haven't seen the original) but I don't really think it had nearly as much character development or underlying themes. Therefore, its quite possible to just continue the storyline.

Wait, you're saying the original wasn't as conclusive as SEED without even having seen it? Rolling Eyes

Well, I have seen it (the movies, at least, and I haven't heard of anything significant being changed, at least not in regards to the ending). First Gundam had an ending just as complete as SEED's.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
this is starting to go in circles. It would help alot of you would stop overstating what Im saying and sidetracking the discussion.

Sure people can always continue to change and evolve, but thats only useful if its in some kind of interesting way, or a way that seems plausable to the character. I dont mind the idea for Cagalli, but I cant really see the Athrun one working.

Quote:
There was plenty of room for a direct sequel. The Earth Alliance or whatever it was called still existed, ZAFT still existed, and the enmity between the Naturals and Coordinators didn't magically disappear when Patrick Zala and La Creuset were defeated. And there are billions of people on the planet, so there were plenty of options for new main characters.

Im too lazy to go find that bashing head into the ground emoticon. You said this exact same thing at the very start of this discussion.

You dont even seem to be reading alot of what Im saying. If you had you would have noticed: "Maybe Im wrong here (I haven't seen the original)" meaning, I could be incorrect as I have not seen it. Obviously though, based on what I have heard, the summaries I have read, etc etc. it appears this way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
I'm overstating what you are saying? Please explain. You are making it sound like GSD was handicapped and making a sequel to SEED would have been difficult. Are you saying something different?

Yes, this is going in circles. For some strange reason, you think Gundam SEED was closed off an difficult to make a sequel for. The fact that it started off going in the right direction, or that there is no reason for it to be as difficult as you are making it sound means nothing. It is perfectly possible to continue growing previous characters and make it interesting. Of course, they don't need to focus on the same characters, they can use new characters and work with those and use the old characters as minor characters. So it's a moot point.

I said the exact same thing because it apparently needed to be said again. You can't seem to understand that Gundam SEED was perfect for a sequel.

I DID read what you said and that's why I explained that the original Gundam ended pretty much the same way.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Please explain.

No. Im tired of explaining.

Quote:
You can't seem to understand that Gundam SEED was perfect for a sequel.

Thats pretty much what this has come down to isnt it? You saying over and over that SEED is perfect for a sequel on nothing more than the basis that there could totally be another war.

I think I've explained what are in my oppinion very obvious reasons why its not as simple as that. I dont think theres really any more I can say that wouldnt just be repeating what I've already said. You might as well just go back and reread my other posts.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Thats pretty much what this has come down to isnt it? You saying over and over that SEED is perfect for a sequel on nothing more than the basis that there could totally be another war.

And you've just been saying that its not because it was a complete series. I've provided examples and debunked that idea, but you keep repeating it. Yes, lets completely ignore Gundam and Zeta Gundam and make an assumption about something you've never seen. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think I've explained what are in my oppinion very obvious reasons why its not as simple as that. I don't think theres really any more I can say that wouldnt just be repeating what I've already said. You might as well just go back and reread my other posts.

You just keep posting the same thing anyway, so there's not much of a difference. And your reasons are hardly "obvious".

ikillchicken wrote:

No. Im tired of explaining.

That's fine, I'm tired of arguing about this. The whole thing is speculative anyway. It depends largely on the competence of the people telling the story. Sadly, the people in charge of GSD were severely lacking in that, so it sucked. There is little point in arguing in what could have been.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Its really iritating how you keep whining about my "make an assumption about something you've never seen."

I completely admit I could be mistaken about it and I am making an assumption. Sorry, but I dont really have another option. Im not just gonna go: well I haven't actually seen it so I guess I'll just completely accept that youre right in every way. I've read several summaries of it and generally looked into it enough that i think I can form something of an opinion.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Then maybe you should stop doing it. Its really damn annoying to have you make statements with nothing to back it up and make an assumption on something you haven't seen that is clearly wrong to anyone who has actually seen it. Yes, you do have an option: stop acting like that's evidence of your claim. First Gundam's ending is virtually identical to Gundam SEEDs. I don't know what the hell you read to give you an idea that its somehow significantly different.

I've made and proven my case. You just keep whining and making claims with nothing to back it up (except the amusingly ironic "Just because you say it doesn't make it true"). I'm done with this. Think what you want, I don't care anymore, but next time, make sure have evidence to back up your claims.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I think theres just a slight chance you might just be taking this whole thing a little bit to seriously.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Whoever said that the problems with SEED DESTINY (SEED-D) are expansions on the weaknesses of SEED, I would say that is a correct, general assumption. Both SEED and SEED-D suffered from horrible pacing, weak characters and poor designs, and overuse of stock footage.

mistress_reebi wrote:
I watch Destiny on YTV and I like it, but Seed is way better. For one, sequels are usually never as good as the original and Destiny proves it.

While this may be the general rule for cinema, it's not the rule in Gundam. Check out the original Gundam (1979) and its sequel, Zeta Gundam (1985).

ikillchickin wrote:
True. Also though, I think the problems in SEED were relatively isolated. You could get past the fact that all the character designs were very similar, or when there was a recap episode, suffer through it and then continue with the story afterwards, or even with reused animation.

BS #1 - You forgot that the characters were as flat as the animation, too. Granted, between the two series, easily I'd go with SEED over SEED-D, but the entire presentation of SEED left a sour taste in my mouth. There were a few action scenes worth watching and I like the music, but everything else is sub-par.

mistress_reebi wrote:
I guess the creators realised that too many people died in Seed that they wanted the ending in Desitiny to be a Hallmark moment.

And BS # 2 - The thing I hated about SEED the most is that the majority of the main cast had survived. In the rush to the end climax (probably Fukuda's only good sense of pacing), the battle is littered with bodies of supporting characters and two piss-poor homages to deaths from First Gundam.

Starting with Zeta, Gundam series have featured high body counts (even non-Tomino series) or at least traumatic deaths of main characters. SEED and SEED-D lacked both of these and should be relegated to the back seat like Gndam Wing.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Four (or five?) really good points there Joe. Although I seem to have a higher CE tolerance than you I still don't see why people think that Seed is so much better than Seed Destiny. All those reused stock footage and clip episodes in Seed really annoyed me, yet nobody seems to take notice of them until Destiny. Then again I would expect no less from someone with such a great avatar.

My favorite part of the CE stuff is also the music. I too miss the Ideon, Dunbine, L-Gaim, Zeta era Tomino. Watching the three Zeta films recently reminded me of how much I like the series.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9