• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Evil Character Tournament RESULTS

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
CD
Johan Liebert from Monster | Johan clip | Johan history report
Delphine from: Last Exile | Delphine clip| Delphine History report

Yes, Delphine is evil. But I truly believe that Johan is the most evil character ever. I have seen quite a few anime series and I can honestly say that Johan scared me. And it's not in a classic horror sense, it is scary to think that there could be people out there who are like Johan. I have to agree with ccdx and say that Johan is just much more evil than Delphine, she doesn't even hold a candle to him. And yes, I have seen both series.

I have to disagree with zhir's comments that Delphine is more of a manipulator than Johan, and that he only has a touch of it. He manipulates multiple people into commiting crimes for him, and eventually makes them spoiler[kill themselves because he wants know one who has seen his face to be left alive.] As an adult, he went back and spoiler[murdered (or manipulated others to do it for him) all the foster couples who ever took him in as a child. Not to mention before him and his twin sister were separated, he also killed every couple that took care of them.] And this was when he was still a child! And the ultimate manipulation and Johan's final plan was to spoiler[get a whole town to turn on itself and trick the citizens into killing one another.] Not to mention the moment that Aylinn refers to in her post.

Oh and I also have to disagree that Johan's actions only affects a few people. His evil deeds reach the scope of the coutries of Germany and the Czech Republic. I think that is more evil than Delphine's scope. He doesn't just kill a few people, in actuality you never really find out how many people, but the numbers are really high, if you inlcude those who indirectly died by his manipulative actions.
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It's small in scope compared to Delphine who kills thousands of people at a time (those battleships can have upwards of 5,000 crewman) and basically controls the development of the world.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
It's small in scope compared to Delphine who kills thousands of people at a time (those battleships can have upwards of 5,000 crewman) and basically controls the development of the world.

Consider: Delphine was born into a position where she was given control of such technology and power that she controlled multiple nations, while Johan was a 10 year old orphan when he initiated his first massacre (without himself raising a finger). Had Johan not remembered his past and drastically altered his intended goal, he would have suceeded spoiler[the Vampire of Bayern], thus extending his influence to international levels. Johan killed off the Neo-Nazis because they were too narrow-minded in their choosing of victims. He was aiming for mass-murder on a global scale with everyone as a potential target.
Johan on multiple occaissions committed the deed himself, but often does not need to, as he can get most anyone to do his work (the lady who torched the library), and at least one organization acts on his perceived intentions, so greatly do they revere his terrifying charisma.

My vote goes to Johan for, among other things, industriusness in his evil.
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Responding to the argument that Delphine showed more evilness because of the way she treated her brother Dio, I think falls short. I saw what Dio went through as more of a rite of passage ceremony. Delphine didn't necessarily pick out this one torturous fate for Dio alone. It seemed that all Guild members have to go through this eventually, and I'm sure many feel the same way Dio did. Delphine wasn't forcing her evil will on him, its just something everyone has to go through.

In Johan's case he had Dr. Tenma. Throughout the whole 72 episode series there are many occasions where Johan physically and especially mentally tortures Tenma. Why does Johan do this? It doesn't exactly explain why, but it seems he did it for his own idea of sick twisted fun. What did Tenma do to deserve Johan's constant torment? As a brilliant and gifted surgeon he saved Johan's life as a child...

The way Johan treats Tenma on any given occasion is waaaay worse than anything Delphine ever directly did to Dio.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
Responding to the argument that Delphine showed more evilness because of the way she treated her brother Dio, I think falls short. I saw what Dio went through as more of a rite of passage ceremony. Delphine didn't necessarily pick out this one torturous fate for Dio alone. It seemed that all Guild members have to go through this eventually, and I'm sure many feel the same way Dio did. Delphine wasn't forcing her evil will on him, its just something everyone has to go through.

In Johan's case he had Dr. Tenma. Throughout the whole 72 episode series there are many occasions where Johan physically and especially mentally tortures Tenma. Why does Johan do this? It doesn't exactly explain why, but it seems he did it for his own idea of sick twisted fun. What did Tenma do to deserve Johan's constant torment? As a brilliant and gifted surgeon he saved Johan's life as a child...

The way Johan treats Tenma on any given occasion is waaaay worse than anything Delphine ever directly did to Dio.

You're saying that because she did it to everyone it isn't as bad?? From the way she behaved it's obvious that she didn't have it done to herself, so she must realize how undesirable it is to the one involved.

Edit: sorry, had whole thing in quotes.
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
ccdx wrote:

You're saying that because she did it to everyone it isn't as bad?? From the way she behaved it's obvious that she didn't have it done to herself, so she must realize how undesirable it is to the one involved.

Edit: sorry, had whole thing in quotes.

She didn't do it to everyone. I was saying she had no direct involvement in any body's "ceremony." It obviously was a custom created way before her time that all guild must go through, like a sort of coming of age ceremony. She might have been exempt because she was born into her position as queen, I can't say for sure the true reason, just guessing.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna vote for Johan Liebert from Monster. No one beats him when it comes to pure evil.

Delphine was born with all the advantages and privileges of her position. She inherited the tools/ways with which she carrys out her evil (eg the Guild's customs such as the ceremony thing) but she did not initiate them and as I said before, the Guild's constant pampering contributed in part to her shamelessly bitchy personality. Without the Guild, Delphine's nothing. She's only able to evade the consequences of her actions because of the Guild's support. She cannot fly a battleship on her own nor does she have enough charisma to command even a band of common thieves. Heck, she's going to have enough trouble surviving on her own, let alone troubling others.

Johan, on the other hand, is much more versatile and adaptable as a villian. He's a survivor of horrible circumstances and he has mastered the art of manipulating people's hearts and minds at the age of ten without much schooling. He can get people to do his dirty work for him but he doesn't have to rely on others to carry out his evil. He evades capture through his own wit. He takes no sides in human conflicts but views the entire human race as something to be toyed with/eliminated at will. He scares me in the same way someone's mentioned before - his evil feels very palpable, very real.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
CD
Johan Liebert from Monster
Delphine from: Last Exile

Another vote for Johan. Ningensei's words sum up best why I'm voting this way:
Ningensei wrote:
But I truly believe that Johan is the most evil character ever....it is scary to think that there could be people out there who are like Johan.

Based on the clips I've watched I believe what we're dealing with is a relentless psychopath. The fact that he is a dispassionate manipulator who doesn't do the dirty deeds himself makes the situation more terrifying. He definitely lives up to the title of "Monster".
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The arguments of others have convinced me to also vote for Johan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
FINAL ROUND open!
It's finally at the end, wow this time flew by quickly!
-Edit Scratch that, I'm re-updating all the clips so that there is a wide variety of all the clips to choose from because ccdx just contacted me-
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that this has been lots and lots of fun!

FINAL BATTLE!

Dante of Fullmetal Alchemist | clip 1 Dante | clip 2 Dante | clip 3 Dante
| clip 4 Dante | clip 5 Dante | History report Dante

Johan Liebert from Monster | Johan clip 1| clip 2 Johan
| clip 3 Johan
| clip 4 Johan | clip 5 Johan
| Johan history report

I'm sticking with Dante. I've read what was previously said about Johan but I still am giving Dante the edge because she spoiler[coldly murdered 100s of thousands of people for one reason and one reason only: So that she can live forever.]
ccdx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
The new brackets with the "Malevolent 4" results has been posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Enjoy.

FINAL BATTLE!!!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
I'm going to go ahead and vote for Dante. I can't see what's more evil than spoiler[killing thousands and manipulating plenty of others just to keep yourself alive.]

Also, thanks to Cow-Boy_Be-Bop and ccdx for their awesome organizational skills^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

Also, thanks to Cow-Boy_Be-Bop and ccdx for their awesome organizational skills^^

I second that!

Thank you!
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Johan. Like I said last round, Johan or Delphine deserves to win.
I can't elaborate that much, unless you want me to copy the things I said in other rounds involving them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 27