• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-OH! Zexal Premieres on Toonzai in U.S. on Saturday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
I'm just saying that I see a lot people complaining about 4kids on forums like these. What I was thinking was to stop complaining and actually do something about it. lets get up and take action. it's worth a shot.

If this is about people who complain needing to take action and do something about it, why not just tell these people to stop giving a colossal crap about a company they don't even like for whatever reasons there are and instead suggest them to pay more mind to companies they would favor more because those companies do things the way anime fans like it such as Funimation, Bandai, Sentai filmworks or something? Seriously, what's wrong with doing that?

Last edited by Hypeathon on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
I'm just saying that I see a lot people complaining about 4kids on forums like these. What I was thinking was to stop complaining and actually do something about it. lets get up and take action. it's worth a shot. besides, didn't anime fans manage to defeat 4kids when they were doing One Piece? If fans can pressure 4kids to leave One Piece alone, why can't it be done with Yugioh?

The problem is that those coporations never listen to us.

Never have,never will.

cohenmarioman wrote:

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm Post subject:

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm Post subject:
Responding to Kaiser is a waste. The dude is a black hole when it comes to hope for anything in English that is anime.

So?? It means he's an dub pursuit. like myself. The only ones I'll make are the ones from the horror that is 4kids ( exculding their dubs of pokemon )

But one series wont forgive them. I can easily see this series is not going to do well here since the majority will be rushing to the fansubs.

I hope by some miracle that Animax Asia does a dub for the eastern audience , so at least we'll have something other than 4 crap kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
There's not really anything anime fans can do to 'rise up and stop 4Kids' since we are not their audience (not that that excuses their poor handling of these properties, as other companies have done much better ans still marketed them to television audiences) So all we can do is show signs of disapproval, educate others on what they do and, at best, urge them not to support the company. But no, it's not like mailing or protesting will do anything or even matter. All those online petitions and stuff are just a waste of time and effort.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
There's not really anything anime fans can do to 'rise up and stop 4Kids' since we are not their audience (not that that excuses their poor handling of these properties, as other companies have done much better ans still marketed them to television audiences) So all we can do is show signs of disapproval, educate others on what they do and, at best, urge them not to support the company. But no, it's not like mailing or protesting will do anything or even matter. All those online petitions and stuff are just a waste of time and effort.

why can't we "rise up"? we have the necessary power to do so. didn't people "rise up" during the One Piece mess, which resulted in 4kids loosing it? all we have to do is utilize it in the right way. besides, who is actually supporting 4kids, because they are somehow still alive. apparently these supporters are the people we need to get on our side.

you are right with telling others to avoid the company and educate others. what i'm saying is to amp it up 10 fold. we need to be more assertive and aggressive in order to get 4kids' attention.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
why can't we "rise up"? we have the necessary power to do so. didn't people "rise up" during the One Piece mess, which resulted in 4kids loosing it? all we have to do is utilize it in the right way. besides, who is actually supporting 4kids, because they are somehow still alive. apparently these supporters are the people we need to get on our side.

you are right with telling others to avoid the company and educate others. what i'm saying is to amp it up 10 fold. we need to be more assertive and aggressive in order to get 4kids' attention.

You have to remember that 4kids Entertainment isn't just in the anime business. Like any children's licensing company, they have
other things keeping them afloat. If only they could focus on things like those, there'd really be no problem. Until then, it's probably best not to support, but respect those that have no reason to be against them. Otherwise, hear them out when they try to reach out.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
You have to remember that 4kids Entertainment isn't just in the anime business. Like any children's licensing company, they have other things keeping them afloat. If only they could focus on things like those, there'd really be no problem. Until then, it's probably best not to support, but respect those that have no reason to be against them. Otherwise, hear them out when they try to reach out.

you make a good point. 4kids is a company trying to serve children. So why don't they stick with what they do? 4kids picks up anime that has content maybe not meant for younger kids. Why do they seem to think anime=little kids? That thinking is to me outdated because most anime companies have gotten over that mentality.

I keep mentioning the whole "rise up" phrase because it worked with One Piece. If it worked for One Piece, shouldn't it work with Yugioh? Organized pressure from tons of fans made 4kids drop the show. I want to see the same with Yugioh.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Anyone that think the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters franchise aims for any older than what 4kids caters to I have to say is delusional. Trading cards have always been intended as a children's hobby no matter how much the market has changed to appeal to older demographics (namely those who grew up with the hobby as children themselves); it's not unlike model kits or role-playing games.

As for this infamous One Piece deal, I don't know the whole truth on it myself, but from what I've pieced, Toei hands it to 4kids, Toei can easily take it back. Sure there was a furore, but this seem more influenced by business than by outrage.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Anyone that think the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters franchise aims for any older than what 4kids caters to I have to say is delusional. Trading cards have always been intended as a children's hobby no matter how much the market has changed to appeal to older demographics (namely those who grew up with the hobby as children themselves); it's not unlike model kits or role-playing games.

That's pretty close-minded to say only TCGs, RPGs, and other 'games' are only for kids. Especially when the average age of a typical YGO player is 19. My grandfather would definitely disagree with you about model kits, he loves collecting model cars and planes and other vehicles.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
That's pretty close-minded to say only TCGs, RPGs, and other 'games' are only for kids. Especially when the average age of a typical YGO player is 19. My grandfather would definitely disagree with you about model kits, he loves collecting model cars and planes and other vehicles.

Not that TCGs, RPGs or models are "only for kids", but that they are (or at least were) made primarily with kids in mind. It really wasn't until those kids grew up that the manufacturers began to cater to them as the "Collector" market is born.

In a way, it kind of goes back to what what 4kids have been doing with subs recently.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Not that TCGs, RPGs or models are "only for kids", but that they are (or at least were) made primarily with kids in mind. It really wasn't until those kids grew up that the manufacturers began to cater to them as the "Collector" market is born.

In a way, it kind of goes back to what what 4kids have been doing with subs recently.

If 4kids can do unedited subs, why can't they do unedited dubs? If they released or showed an unedited dubs, then I wouldn't be angry at 4kids. FUNimation edited Fullmetal Alchemist when it aired (removal of eye catches, time limitation, etc.), but I am not mad at them for making those changes because they give me the option to view them in their original form dubbed.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Not really talking about the TCG. 4kids doesn't make the Yugioh cards. What I'm talking about is the Yugioh anime. The Yugioh tv shows apparently contain some "mature" elements in it because 4kids starts editing it like crazy. That just shows that the show might have not been for 4kids' intended audience.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
The Yugioh tv shows apparently contain some "mature" elements in it because 4kids starts editing it like crazy. That just shows that the show might have not been for 4kids' intended audience.

Or that it's due to cultural tolerances, broadcast standards, and overall marketablity. You know know parent groups and censors find everything risque Wink

As for uncut dubs, call me crazy for believing that all shows like these are dubbed uncut initially
It's already proven that they used Japanese names during the auditions for these to-be-edited shows.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Or that it's due to cultural tolerances, broadcast standards, and overall marketablity. You know know parent groups and censors find everything risque Wink

Indeed, kid's shows in Japan can have quite dark and mature themes, all things considered. It's why shows like shounen can be worldwide hits with adults and older teens despite being for younger boys in Japan. Kid's shows that deal with issues like that definitely have some older appeal.

Though it's more than likely YGO gets the short end of the stick to sell cards by aiming it at the lowest common denominator as possible so more people buy them/nag their parents to buy them, which is a shame, since the original is a good example of how you can have a show about marketing stuff, but give it a nice engaging story and presentation without just hammering in "buy our stuff, buy our stuff" over and over like the dub does and just dumbs everything down to be simplistic and easy to follow and hook more 4 year olds.

Oh, and they edited the riceball by just cutting out out entirely, so Yuma eats nothing. Figure that one out.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Indeed, kid's shows in Japan can have quite dark and mature themes, all things considered. It's why shows like shounen can be worldwide hits with adults and older teens despite being for younger boys in Japan. Kid's shows that deal with issues like that definitely have some older appeal.

Though it's more than likely YGO gets the short end of the stick to sell cards by aiming it at the lowest common denominator as possible so more people buy them/nag their parents to buy them, which is a shame, since the original is a good example of how you can have a show about marketing stuff, but give it a nice engaging story and presentation without just hammering in "buy our stuff, buy our stuff" over and over like the dub does and just dumbs everything down to be simplistic and easy to follow and hook more 4 year olds.

Oh, and they edited the riceball by just cutting out out entirely, so Yuma eats nothing. Figure that one out.

But the Japanese version is doing the same job as the dub, which is to market new cards and the franchise. that's not the part i am bothered with. like what was said before, a show like Yugioh should be allowed to promote the commercial interests of the card game while also having a decent plot. is that so hard to ask for 4kids? but i agree that 4kids sucks out the "seriousness, drama, and everything else that makes the original good" and replaces it with pure, senseless garbage. what kind of people would watch a show like that and who is actually happy watching senseless garbage?

Also, here we go with the riceball again. It's a riceball, not a bomb that will dismember you and cause your eyes to pop out. by once again making this move, 4kids has shown they have xenophobic feelings, which to me is somewhat offensive. It's offensive in the sense that 4kids is basically refusing to acknowledge another culture/custom/uniqueness. it's ironic in a sense because 4kids doesn't want to offend people, yet they are offending me with the actions they have taken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3