• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: X-Men Anime Clips with English Dub Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Storm in the animated series always sounded like a character from some sorta Dungeons and Monsters story or Lord of the Ring character...

I honestly can't think of any japanese VA who can ham it up 24/7 like the one in the animated series did.

I think the anime tried to do the Hollywood movie Storm...the one played by the girl who starred in Cat Woman.

...come to think about it, EVERYTHING about Storm screams DnD or Lord of The Rings-ish. Her mutant powers look less like mutations and more like high fantasy magic spells...
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Storm in the animated series always sounded like a character from some sorta Dungeons and Monsters story or Lord of the Ring character...

I think the anime tried to do the Hollywood movie Storm...the one played by the girl who starred in Cat Woman.

I agree the VA for Storm from the 1990’s cartoon series was great.

Halle Berry’s Storm for me comes off as pink fluffy bunnies, the strength Storm has is nowhere to be found. I always thought Storm in the movies should have had some of Grace Jones personality (The I‘ll kick your *** part).

Key wrote:
While I'm not totally sold on Steve Blum as Wolverine, he at least has the more gravelly voice, which sounds more appropriate than the rumbling deep voice he had in Japanese.

I too am not totally sold on Steve Blum as Wolverine, his voice does have a gravelly to it but it also has smoothness too, versus Cathal J. Dodd voice has gravelly and a rough edge to it which to me makes him a better Wolverine.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Really? Aya Hisakawa didn't do justice?

It's not so much that it was a bad performance as that it was the wrong kind of performance, one which totally changes the character that Storm has always had. Storm has, since her inception, been a proud, strong-willed, and usually very formal character, but the vocal performance in Japanese helps make her seem much more casual, vulnerable, and compassionate. Anime has a well-established tradition of using strong female characters, so why neuter Storm?

Actually, when I first heard about it and noticed that she was cast it threw me off for a loop as well. I could think of at least two Japanese VAs that would work better as Storm, but I'm looking forward to the dub also.

Key wrote:

One of the most common complaints of ardent sub fans is that dub casting and performances don't fit the roles as well as the Japanese casting does. (An argument I dispute, but I won't get into that right now.) It does sometimes cut the other way, though, and this is one of those cases. In fact, I was pretty disappointed with the Japanese casting in general for this series beyond the characters who are actually Japanese, so I am dearly looking forward to hearing the dub.

I agree there.

To go with this, as much as I love Steve Blum, I felt that the role was off. I think from watching so much XM Evolution, I always liked Scott McNeil voicing the role as Wolverine. It was deep and more gruff, but that was me. I don't remember who is handling the voice casting at this point and I haven't seen either Iron Man or the Wolverine anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think from watching so much XM Evolution, I always liked Scott McNeil voicing the role as Wolverine. It was deep and more gruff, but that was me. I don't remember who is handling the voice casting at this point and I haven't seen either Iron Man or the Wolverine anime.

I remember that performance, and while I thought it was okay, it never sounded entirely right to me, either. Tried to make Wolvie too hip-sounding.

Honestly, the best-sounding Wolverine I've ever heard was Hugh Jackman in the live-action movies. Sadly, he'd be much too pricey to pull in for a dub like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2