• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - In the Name of the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
So I'm NOT crazy; somebody else thought that the Death Note live action movie wasn't good. I unfortunately watched it with a friend who hadn't seen the anime... I've been having a hard time convincing him that it's actually good.

What am I thankful for? ...I suppose I'm thankful that bluray exists, and that the subtitles aren't the ugly and sometimes yellow blocks of pixels that were on dvds. I really hope more stuff gets rereleased on bluray. I have seen a decent number of popular blurays with engilsh subs in Japan that I could import, but it would be nice if it were in America (nice for my wallet as well).

Also thankful for Madoka's getting a TRILOGY. Not a rushed 1 movie remake, but a full remake/re-imagining in a similar style to the rebuild of Evangellion... of course Evangellion really needed it, having aged so long, but still it's nice to get more Madoka content. I would love to get the limited edition sets; yes, that price is insane, but it has a ton of special goodies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the Death Note movie, because I thought L was dumbed down way too easily to lose to Light.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
"In the name of the Moon", Toei better make damn sure that no unnecessary edits are stipulated in those convoluted SM contracts, or they needn't bother as far as I'm concerned. I'll only buy the whole, uncut series, worts and all.

I'd want them to do season box sets. I'm only just starting season 5 of the Essential Sailor Moon (i.e. a list someone made of episodes that advance the plot or characters), but I would buy season 3 in a heartbeat. Probably season 2 as well. Season 1? maybe. But oh in Selene's name not season 4. That season physically hurt.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
"In the name of the Moon", Toei better make damn sure that no unnecessary edits are stipulated in those convoluted SM contracts, or they needn't bother as far as I'm concerned. I'll only buy the whole, uncut series, worts and all.

I'd want them to do season box sets. I'm only just starting season 5 of the Essential Sailor Moon (i.e. a list someone made of episodes that advance the plot or characters), but I would buy season 3 in a heartbeat. Probably season 2 as well. Season 1? maybe. But oh in Selene's name not season 4. That season physically hurt.

Other than the lack of the Outers, I didn't mind season 4 too terribly. Yeah, it was a letdown after season 3, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I'm not certain if I'd rebuy seasons 3 and 4 if they rereleased them. I mean, I have the Pioneer/Geneon singles already, and as I recall those were pretty good quality releases. Seasons 1 and 2 I'd replace with no questions asked. The only good thing about those ADV releases are the art boxes. The audio and video on them are atrocious. But, if me rebuying seasons 3 and 4 would guarantee that season 5 would get a release, I'd buy two copies. Very Happy
loyalmoonie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Toei and/or Naoko Takeuchi don't care about how other countries edit Sailor Moon. Plus, one Moonie I know who lives in Japan said that Naoko actually liked a few things in the English-dubbed version. (not sure about what she does like)

If Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki produced/created it, then that would be another story.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Annf wrote:
For whatever reason, Japan's BD pressing houses seem to have have adopted region-free as the default standard.

Probably because they realized region-locking didn't work, and actually encouraged piracy. Not to mention they were missing out on the American market.

But the DVD releases of those same shows--and every other DVD made in Japan--are still all being universally locked to region 2 only. If there were some kind of active change in strategy, one would expect that to change.

My theory is they simply aren't thinking about it at all.
Disc pressing house: "What options you want on this?"
Producer: "I don't know how DVD/BDs work. Just do whatever's normal."
And through some quirk of fate, "normal" for DVDs is region-2-only, and "normal" for BDs is no region code.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Other than the lack of the Outers, I didn't mind season 4 too terribly. Yeah, it was a letdown after season 3, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

Problems with Sailor Moon SuperS:

(1) Chibi Moon essentially hijacks the entire season.
(2) Chibi Moon, who is, like, 8, gets a romance.
(3) Her romantic pairing is substantially older than her.
(4) Her romantic pairing is also spoiler[a horse].
(5) Sailor Moon's character goes from being the strong hero in a confidant relationship that she'd become by the end of season 3 to being a clingy jealous psycho. Seriously, she gets jealous of Rei who hasn't shown any interest in Mamoru since season 1.
(6) Tuxedo Mask cements his status as useless to the series.
(7) The circus theme results in the most painfully unintimidating and unfunny monsters-of-the-week.
(8) Almost every single "beautiful dream" that the female characters have involves a man, making this a massive step back into heteronormativity from season 3.

Now, things it does okay?
Well, the villains aren't so bad. It's nice to see minions who think about their plans and adjust based on their failures. It's also nice to see them become conscious of how they were being used. Their "powering down" is handled better than the Phantom/Ayakashi Sisters in season 2. Nehelannia is a good Final Boss, but her best bits come in season 5.

But the heroes? I really hated the character of Sailor Moon by the end of this season, and was so happy when Chibi Moon finally left.

But yeah, season 4 was AWFUL. It was a steaming pile of crap that I had to drag myself through. You're welcome to disagree, but, well, I'm going to ask you to rebut my arguments.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

But yeah, season 4 was AWFUL. It was a steaming pile of crap that I had to drag myself through. You're welcome to disagree, but, well, I'm going to ask you to rebut my arguments.

Nah, that's not how it works for me. You're welcome to your arguments, but they're purely subjective ones so trying to rebut them is absolutely pointless. If I could change your mind by somehow being able to prove your opinions wrong, then you'd have some pretty weak convictions. I disagree but don't care nearly enough to get in a pissing match over it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Nah, that's not how it works for me. You're welcome to your arguments, but they're purely subjective ones so trying to rebut them is absolutely pointless. If I could change your mind by somehow being able to prove your opinions wrong, then you'd have some pretty weak convictions. I disagree but don't care nearly enough to get in a pissing match over it.

Oh, I'm sorry, "rebut" was totally the wrong word! Anime hyper "Address" would be better. I meant that I wanted your opinion on the issues I raised. We're not going to completely change each others' minds, obviously, but I'd like to hear a different perspective. Did you see the same issues? Did they not bother you? etc. I have been known to gradually adjust my opinion on series after discussing it. While there are some that will never happen with (Koi Kaze), as I said, there were some things I liked about Sailor Moon SuperS, so I'm willing to listen. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
.......But yeah, season 4 was AWFUL. It was a steaming pile of crap that I had to drag myself through...
Like I said, "worts and all" Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
.......But yeah, season 4 was AWFUL. It was a steaming pile of crap that I had to drag myself through...

Okay, since you've done this twice now, it's warts. Wort means something different. Unless that's a British spelling or something? But yeah, season 4 is pretty warty to me. "Steaming pile of crap" may have been hyperbolic, but after amazing season 3 (seriously, I never thought I would love Sailor Moon that much!) the badness in it really did outright anger me. I tend to lob a lot more hate at something that let me down (see: Chrono Crusade) than something that stunk from the beginning (see: Dragonauts).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, "rebut" was totally the wrong word! Anime hyper "Address" would be better. I meant that I wanted your opinion on the issues I raised. We're not going to completely change each others' minds, obviously, but I'd like to hear a different perspective. Did you see the same issues? Did they not bother you? etc. I have been known to gradually adjust my opinion on series after discussing it. While there are some that will never happen with (Koi Kaze), as I said, there were some things I liked about Sailor Moon SuperS, so I'm willing to listen. Smile

Ah, well that's much different then! Smile I do agree with you on the first point, but perhaps because Chibi Usa had a fairly large presence in R, and to me felt much more obnoxious in that one, I was a bit more desensitized to her presence in SuperS.

Points 2-4 don't really bother me, so I guess I never thought it as an issue. I mean, I didn't like Chibi Usa much, so I didn't think it was cute and precious or anything, but nor did I think it was overly ridiculous. It's not like it's a sexual relationship, although I'm sure there's doujin out there that take care of that. Basically I was pretty apathetic towards it.

Point 5 I'll fully admit that it's been a long time since I've seen SuperS, so I can't comment one way or the other on that. I suppose I could say that since it doesn't stand out, it wasn't a big issue to me, but that's not really addressing the point so I'll just have to pass on that one straight up.

Point 6, I agree, but that status was cemented long before SuperS. I don't really recall him being vitally important since Classic to be honest, so while it doesn't help SuperS, it certainly doesn't hurt it in my eyes.

Point 7, I apologize for seemingly evading the point, but there are extremely few monsters of the week that stick out for me through the entire franchise. I'd say that of the few that do, most are from Stars, in large part because of how absolutely ridiculous they were (Sailor Guts? *shudder*) So, to me the main parts of the season aren't so much the MotW, but rather the main villains which I liked quite a bit, especially the Amazon Quartet.

Point 8, well, I'm a guy so admittedly I'm much less sensitive to that sort of thing than a female would be. Plus, I don't think I could come up with any reasoning that doesn't make it sound even worse than you did, so I just don't feel I can properly address this since it wasn't even something I thought about.

All in all, I'm not trying to say this was a masterpiece, or even anything other than the worst season of Sailor Moon. But, even the worst season of Sailor Moon is a lot better than shows that I'd call awful steaming piles of crap. Plus, I think as far as sub-villains go, the Amazon Quartet was probably my second favorite.

This discussion is making me want to go back and rewatch SuperS though, because I'm sure I'm looking at some things through the old nostalgia glasses Smile
petran79

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
do not always blame Hollywood for mediocre anime adaptations.

there is also the French-Japanese co-production of Lady Oscar live-action movie with British actors

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/lady-oscar.shtml
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Okay, since you've done this twice now, it's warts. Wort means something different.
Well since I misspelled it the first time, I left it in the second for parody sake, but thanks for that, and may I say how smartly dressed you must look in your well taylored mid 20th century Rheineland uniform? Wink
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Does Godwin's Law apply to web forums? And it's "tailored" and "Rheinland" or "Rhineland".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4