• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Store Sells 'Pundam,' 'Epangelion' Cosplay for Dogs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

So instead of thinking, "Hey, maybe this isn't the right pet for this climate", you think, "Hey, let's put some clothing on a dog"?

A tad selfish, isn't it?

...So people who live in places where it gets cold enough to wear a coat shouldn't own dogs, ever? That's a rather unrealistic expectation. My dog will only go outside to relieve himself in winter if he's got his little parka on, so I don't think all dogs mind having extra layers on.

Although even so, I love him far too much to subject him to one of these things. Anime hyper My dog looks and acts so much like Densuke from Dennou Coil as it is that it's almost like he's constantly cosplaying.

It's not an unrealstic expectation for people to purchase things responsibly and not be cruel to animals, is it?

There are plenty of types of dogs who can withstand cold temperatures. But no, people are selfish, they want to buy what they want without any thought to the consequences. So they decide to put clothing on animals that aren't right for their environment, which is itself abuse.

I guess acting sensibly is too much to ask of people anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

There are plenty of types of dogs who can withstand cold temperatures. But no, people are selfish, they want to buy what they want without any thought to the consequences. So they decide to put clothing on animals, which is itself abuse.

Would you say it's abusive to put a blanket on a horse when it's cold out? Dog coats work the same way. We're not talking about those dinky little sweaters that dog-mamas who don't have any children (or any sense of their pet's dignity) get for their animals and force them to wear all the time, even inside. We're talking about an extra layer covering the back and shoulders that keeps the dog warm while he dashes out for a moment to pee, and that comes right off again when he's back in the house. It's not abusive, it's taking an extra precaution as a responsible pet owner to make up for the fact that your dog might not be 'winter-proof'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
If some of you think that putting a little mecha hood on a dog constitutes "animal abuse," go do yourselves a favor. Flip on Animal Planet, and track down one of the several iterations of Animal Cops they have running. Maybe once you've seen images of dogs with massive open sores that haven't been treated for months, or horses so starved that their ribs stick out half a foot from their bodies, you'll get a better idea of what true abuse really is.

Honestly, if this thread smacked any more of asinine PETA-ism, I'd expect to see celebrities throwing paint on fur coats in the next post.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun, I'm aware of what "real" animal abuse is- in other words, severe abuse. But I'm tired of people who think they can have any kind of pet they want, regardless of where they live, and just compensate for the climate problems by slapping a hood or a sweater on these animals, which is stupid-looking and likely irritates the pets. These are people who want to make their pets into people. Pets aren't looking to be humans.

Are you telling me if you saw one of these Evangelion- oh, sorry, Epangelion- things on a dog, you wouldn't think, "Wow, that owner is a real jackass."? It reeks of taking a hobby a little too far.

This isn't PETA-ism. It's just being sensible. If you're going to do something, you do it right, not irresponsibly.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
My dog really liked wearing stuff on his neck. Never try and take it off, take his collar off for a bath and he'd get all nervous until it was back on, try and get you to stick... we had one of those reindeer-antler headbands, he'd see it and he'd try to get you to put it on him, you try and put anything on his neck and he'd stand still and let you.

It's all about knowing your pet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Are you telling me if you saw one of these Evangelion- oh, sorry, Epangelion- things on a dog, you wouldn't think, "Wow, that owner is a real jackass." ? It reeks of taking a hobby a little too far.

I'd think they were a jackass because the pet would look rather stupid, not because I felt that they were perpetuating any sort of "abuse." As others have said, if a dog/cat has a problem with wearing a certain article of clothing, they're going to let you know it, and fast. If the animal doesn't give a damn about what it's wearing, just how exactly does that constitute abuse?
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay for dogs? Leave it to Japan to come up with the weirdest things.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Lol.
Imagine seeing a puppy wearing the Eva-01 one. He is lying there, sleeping in the corner. You crawl up in front of him and yell out "EVA UNIT 1! ACTIVATE!"

Anime hyper

Then about an hour later, you're in the hospital because he bit your nose.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Besides, people move places all the time, like from the warm tropics to the frozen tundra, and can't always leave their dogs behind.
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
I don't mind doggy sweaters for when it gets really cold. Dogs feel cold too, ya know? But I'm with Jay Leno on this: pet costumes should be illegal. Man's best friend deserves better than this! He gives us thousands of years of loyalty and this is how we repay him? Silly costumes? To arms!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Only in Japan...can you folks dressing their dogs up like characters from anime.

I have to admit it is cute. Gotta love the 'Eva' dog. I was expecting to see a dog dressed as angel-01. That would have been funny.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Are you telling me if you saw one of these Evangelion- oh, sorry, Epangelion- things on a dog, you wouldn't think, "Wow, that owner is a real jackass." ? It reeks of taking a hobby a little too far.

I'd think they were a jackass because the pet would look rather stupid, not because I felt that they were perpetuating any sort of "abuse." As others have said, if a dog/cat has a problem with wearing a certain article of clothing, they're going to let you know it, and fast. If the animal doesn't give a damn about what it's wearing, just how exactly does that constitute abuse?

If you were to say "this dog is stupid and worthless and I hate it" (I don't call animals it, I'm saying that's what someone else might say), then that would be wrong to do to the animal, even if the animal cannot understand human language and is not bothered by the message. I think that cosplay on dogs is a bit pet-as-toy-though-actually-sentient-being but I don't really object to a dog wearing a comfortable sweater in cold weather, plus sometimes people move and they can't find a good home for their pet.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I can think of a few instances when pets benefit from clothing.

Here is a bunny wearing socks:

Why is it wearing socks? Because large rabbits like that often have sore heels. If you let it walk around without protection it will hurt its feet, the wounds will get infected etc. Those socks are an easy way to prevent that.

My sister has a chihuahua and though this country has a mild climate, we do make it wear a little coat when it goes out to do his business during winter. He doesn't mind that, because it protects him from the cold and he'll only need to wear it for 10-15 minutes at most. What he does not like however are things put on his head.

On the other hand, I've also seen animals that simply do not care. I don't think it's really abusive if the animal doesn't care. Even when an animal is only slightly annoyed, it will let you know.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yeah I have to second this wholeheartedly. Putting this kind of thing on a pet is pretty stupid but it seems a long distance from cruel. If it seems to really really bother a pet and you constantly force them to wear it, then that's pretty mean. However, the reality is that plenty of animals don't really seem to care that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2