• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga-style comics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
If it's made in Japan, it's manga.
If it's made in South Korea, it's manhwa.
If it's made in the USA, it's a comic book or graphic novel or (in the case of internet) a webcomic.

In the immortal words of the Top Gear trio: How hard can it be?

This, and add: If it's made in China or Taiwan it's manhua. Although I believe they're all written with the same characters. i.e. 漫画 and just pronounced differently depending where you are.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
much like western comics are called コミックス komikkusu to distinguish them from the comics made in their own country.

Not quite so.

st_owly wrote:
Although I believe they're all written with the same characters. i.e. 漫画 and just pronounced differently depending where you are.

画 is simplified; the traditional form is 畫, although most (>90%) people in TW and HK can recognize the simplified form and vice versa for CN, SG, MY, and of course, JP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
While the term manga(漫画), when used in Japan, refers to all sorts of comics

Of course, since "manga" is basically a literal translation of "comic".

Spastic Minnow wrote:
In America, comics refers to manga from anywhere (though they commonly use "manga" for Japanese manga). However, in the Japanese language, comics refers to only manga from the west, so calling any comics-style manga comic would be wrong by the Japanese definition. Just call it a comics-style manga.

Kamikaze Ghost wrote:
In Japanese, manga refers comics from anywhere (though they commonly use "comics" for American comics).

jmaeshawn wrote:
In my opinion, the only reason manga is known as manga in the west is to distinguish the Japanese comics from comics made in your own country, much like western comics are called コミックス komikkusu to distinguish them from the comics made in their own country.

Unfortunately that comparison doesn't work. In Japan, bookstores and publishers frequently use the word "comic" コミック when referring to what we call "manga" (i.e. Japanese comics).

When separating the books by origin they simply spell it out. They do so more frequently with actual novels (because there are few non-Japanese comics being sold in regular bookstores from what I've seen), but they would probably do the same with comics. They have different shelves for "Japanese literature" and "Western literature", so if there were enough "Western comics / mangas" sold in their stores to get a separate shelf, they'd just call it exactly that "Western comics / mangas" and "Japanese comics / mangas", depending on which of both words the store is using on their regular "comics / mangas" shelf.

I dunno, after having spend some time living in Japan I simply don't care anymore about the endless "manga defintion" discussion. It just seems so completely pointless when in the country it all originates from, they just use "manga" and "comic" as synonyms. And I'd just leave it up to the creator to call their work what they want.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
"comic books created by Japanese people."

But then there's also Japanese people creating comics in the United States (like Japanese creators of DC or Marvel comics), or gaijin or Koreans writing for Japanese shounen magazines.

On the flip side, saying that "everything is manga," while technically correct, isn't very helpful either. There is good reason to occasionally differentiate between DC/Marvel, bandes dessinees, and manga, and lumping them all together under the comic label can lose a lot of subtleties in any kind of conversation.

There's also the "style" thing, but that's just rude to all creators of comics ever. Also, I don't know that you could identify Japanese comics by "style" considering that the most popular anime doesn't look a thing like "manga style" (Sazae-san).

It's hard to say. Some Chinese and Korean comics are indistinguishable from Japanese, but at the same time, there are others you can easily identify as Korean or Chinese. Looking globally, there are artists who have never touched an American comic (mainstream or not) in their lives and only read Japanese comics, but to lump them just by nation of origin, with DC/Marvel, isn't helpful either.

I think the best answer at this point is just conclude that labels aren't very helpful...
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
While I'm a fan of the 'black & white' definition of manga being only works created in Japan (purely because it's easiest that way), I feel like it creates a big problem for manga-inspired work released globally when it comes to marketing. For that reason I've always been fine with the terms OEL manga, world manga, etc when the creator is comfortable with that distinction.

For example, when I go to the bookstore, I would want to continue seeing manga-inspired works - such as Tokyopop's original properties, Off*Beat, Steady Beat, Dramacon, etc - to be shelved with the manga. They're titles created with the manga readership in mind and those are the fans it should be shelved for. If they weren't titled and distinguished as being specifically 'manga' in nature, they'd be shelved over with the Marvel, DC and independent works. This does the works a big disservice by hiding them away from their intended audience, not to mention makes it difficult for readers looking for them.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
when you get down to it, they're ALL comics and manga is just the Japanese word for comics. the only reason to use words like manga, manhwa, and manhua when talking about comics if you're not from the countries that use the languages those words come from is to talk about comics from those countries or mention influence from works from those countries.

quite frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing them all called comics, regardless of where they're from. perhaps this would minimize the elitism I see coming from both sides, where a fan of Western comics will overlook a good Eastern comic because it's not Western-made or a fan of Eastern comics will overlook a good Western-made one because of where it came from.

not to mention the fallacious idea there's a specific manga style is a hindrance to many wanting to "make their own manga" as instead of working on making a quality comic they try to jam in enough stylistic and storytelling tropes found in Japanese comics in an attempt to make it seem "manga-like." this just leads to a banal product rather than a quality one.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I gave up trying to define what manga is and refer to everything as a comic. Every way I have ever heard to define what manga is ends up with a hole in it.

Chris's made in Japan by a Japanese person would mean that Drain, Ms. Marvel and X-23 are manga do to the penciler Sana Takeda who was born in, lives in and works out of Tokyo. I would doubt that anyone would call these works manga on this sites, nor would I.

Last edited by jsieczkar on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
I gave up trying to define what manga is and refer to everything as a comic. Every way I have ever heard to define what manga is ends up with a hole in it.

Justin's made in Japan by a Japanese person would mean that Drain, Ms. Marvel and X-23 are manga do to the penciler Sana Takeda who was born in, lives in and works out of Tokyo. I would doubt that anyone would call these works manga on this sites, nor would I.

The main problem is Marvel and such companies do that on purpose. They get Japanese people to draw it (though it's still written by Americans. Remember, most manga are drawn and written by the same person, unlike US comics)/call it their "Mangaverse" for the sole reason of getting manga readers. It's no different than OEL titles.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Though "manga" is used to refer to comcis in general in the Japanese language in the same way "comics" is the English language term for comics in general, I think it' best to call U.S. manga-style comics "manga-style comics" and not "manga" so as to avoid a confusion since they are already people using the term "U.S. manga" to refer to U.S. printings of manga while manga in the non-Japanese language usuage refers to Japanese comics only. It's like using "Bande-Dessinee" in the non-French language to describe only comics from France and/or Belgium despite "Bande Desinee" being used in the French language to refer to comics in general (counting manga and U.S. comics).
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
jsieczkar wrote:

Justin's made in Japan by a Japanese person would mean that Drain, Ms. Marvel and X-23 are manga do to the penciler Sana Takeda who was born in, lives in and works out of Tokyo. I would doubt that anyone would call these works manga on this sites, nor would I.

The main problem is Marvel and such companies do that on purpose. They get Japanese people to draw it (though it's still written by Americans. Remember, most manga are drawn and written by the same person, unlike US comics)/call it their "Mangaverse" for the sole reason of getting manga readers. It's no different than OEL titles.

I'm going to guess you have seen none of her work, her style is very unmanga like and is more influenced by European comics. Even her work made for the Japanese market looks like an American comic. Here is her work on Drain which is creator owned and published by Image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Drain_Issue_5_Cover.jpg . Her work on Drain got her a spot in Marvel not them trying to be more Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
If it's made in Japan, it's manga.
If it's made in South Korea, it's manhwa.
If it's made in the USA, it's a comic book or graphic novel or (in the case of internet) a webcomic.

That's also pretty much for other English-speaking countries as well. For other languages, we could use whatever word they use for comics. Same thing for "animation."

Similarly, for Japanese flip phones often not referred as cellphones or smartphones but rather "keitai," or Japanese baseball as "yakyu" not baseball, or "geisha" for Japanese prostitutes (yes, they're different inside Japan, but outside Japan, that's what they call 'em).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I picked 'World Manga'.

That's because Manga is something that is made by the Japanese, as long as the creator(s) isn't/aren't trying to copy anyone else's style. Basically, what I mean by that is if a Japanese person wants to make something in the style of a Comic Book then that doesn't mean the work is now a Manga just because a Japanese person made it. But it also doesn't mean that it is a Comic Book either, unless the creator is native-born to the States or something.

As for Comic Books, they are graphic novels that are (usually) made by Anglo-Saxons.

If two Anglo-Saxons are basically using a Japanese style then it isn't a Comic Book, but it isn't a Manga either, unless said Anglo-Saxons lived most of their lives in Japan and identified more with the Japanese culture than with that of their own racial background.

So yeah, World Manga seems logical. It is Manga style but not done by those who are Japanese. Unless and until large amounts of Manga-style works are created by those outside of Japan, then it is simpler to keep the definition of Manga as 'made by Japanese in their native style'.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Call them comics. Keep it simple.

I've nothing against people wanting to draw in "manga style"
(even though there really isn't such a thing. Manga is simply
Japanese comics and comics are a medium not a style.)
and I'm fine even if people want to call their non Japanese
comics as manga. Though it doesn't make sense since
you're calling a non Japanese comic as a Japanese comic.
But whatever. If you really want to call them manga go ahead.
What irks me is when people use the term "manga"
as a selling point. Calling a shitty comic as manga
isn't going to make it any better.
PKMaximo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
I been wondering this since I started with Tokyopop back in 2002 as a freelance comic artist, and I've come to my conclusion.

There is no manga style, just like there isn't a western style. It's just too general. I think useful way of dividing comics should be by genre and intended audience. Content and story should be defining factors instead of culture and style, especially when art style is superficial.

Http://8bitmaximo.com
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Of course, since "manga" is basically a literal translation of "comic".

It should be stressed that the word "manga", as used to refer to sequential art, pre-dates the introduction of American comics into Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4