• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michiko and Hatchin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Andrez wrote:
I think in this case it's better to give kudos wizardz199 for his/her opinion rather than just be picky about an error - belated Christmas spirit, and all that... Wink

I agree with the sentiments; this was a great series that unfortunately received the short end of the fan/otaku stick here in Japan.

It didn't feature enough crippled retard girls who spout cute phrases for them to care about it. Nor did it have angsty homosexual young men who suddenly find themselves part of a militia who primarily use giant robots to some painfully evil empire.

I like this guy right here. He speaks in real talk.

I've been harassing Funi about this series for a while, it was truly the best thing to come from 2008. I can only hope they're going to announce the license on the 4th, but that's probably not going to happen. Such an enormous shame, imagine what they could do with the dub when you consider their work on Baccano. MtH with a full Latino-sounding cast would be... sublime.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
The reason it did poorly is because it came out late in the fall season, not to mention the annoying scheduling. there were days when the show wouldn't be on at all, or they would show like two episodes in a row. on top of that, it aired at 2 am.

I thought the writing was terrible. I really wanted to love this show, but so many things just went wrong. everything about the series felt rushed, and there were way too many unanswered questions. it's almost like they were making it up as they went along. on the upside, i loved the style of the show, especially how Michiko has a new outfit almost every other scene.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to thank Andrez for that lovely article. I think the show is excellent and it flew so far under the radar I almost can't believe it; one thing I hadn't realized was the female direction. We need more of those, and that's probably why the relationship between Hatchin and Michiko feels so real.

I think this would benefit from an English dub considering the setting, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I would think, though, that it would appeal to the crowd who liked Samurai Champloo (although with more of a female bent, perhaps).

On a side note, I'm pretty pissed at Manglobe for ruining their streak with The Sacred Blacksmith. But I guess the economy is talking, and, frankly, if they can produce three awesome shows for every stinker then I have no right to complain.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The reason it did poorly is because it came out late in the fall season, not to mention the annoying scheduling. there were days when the show wouldn't be on at all, or they would show like two episodes in a row. on top of that, it aired at 2 am.

I thought the writing was terrible. I really wanted to love this show, but so many things just went wrong. everything about the series felt rushed, and there were way too many unanswered questions. it's almost like they were making it up as they went along. on the upside, i loved the style of the show, especially how Michiko has a new outfit almost every other scene.
Did you happen to finish the series? It ties everything up. I also don't think it was rushed, but because of the action, it may have seemed fast-paced.

But, the real highlight of the show was the relationship between the two girls, I thought it was reminicent of the relationship between the two women in Nana.

Despite how the show performed, I do remain hopeful that it will get a release, the show looked quite costly to produce and I'm sure that they want to recover their losses. There is a lot of money in DVD sales.
Andrez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Just wanted to thank Andrez for that lovely article. I think the show is excellent and it flew so far under the radar I almost can't believe it; one thing I hadn't realized was the female direction. We need more of those, and that's probably why the relationship between Hatchin and Michiko feels so real.

I think this would benefit from an English dub considering the setting, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I would think, though, that it would appeal to the crowd who liked Samurai Champloo (although with more of a female bent, perhaps).

Thanks, mate! Wink
I agree with your sentiments here, too - definitely a good English dub (and/or better subtitling) would do wonders.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Did you happen to finish the series? It ties everything up. I also don't think it was rushed, but because of the action, it may have seemed fast-paced.

yeah i admit it gets from point A to Point B, the problem is there's too many holes in the plot. for instance: spoiler[what did Michiko go to prison for? what was the significance of the tattoos? who was Hatchin's real mother?]. there was just way too many unanswered questions for my liking.
Andrez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Er... are you talking about screening times in the US or here in Japan? If Japan, most new anime series start in around mid-October like this one, and screen in the midnight to 2am slot... no surprise there. But if the US, you're probably right.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

yeah i admit it gets from point A to Point B, the problem is there's too many holes in the plot. for instance: spoiler[what did Michiko go to prison for?]

...for all the stuff she did along the way, not to mention breaking out of prison at the beginning. Remember all that property she destroyed? All those people she threatened? Stuff she stole? etc. etc.
Edit: are you referring to at the beginning of the series? Probably because of the way she conducts things. I don't imagine she was living on the straight and narrow going after Hiroshi. Is it really relevant? (also this may have been mentioned somewhere in the flashbacks where she confronts that Irish mob boss).

v1cious wrote:

what was the significance of the tattoos?

It simply links them to Hiroshi. It probably became his symbol for things he owned; he probably has a matching one that he and Michiko got first, and then later had the same one put on Hatchin. Either way it's really only important initially for Michiko and Hatchin to recognize one another.

v1cious wrote:

who was Hatchin's real mother?. there was just way too many unanswered questions for my liking.

That really didn't matter. She's just your typical absentee deadbeat parent; it doesn't matter who her mother was, just that she gave her up for adoption. I think the series tied things up really nicely.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Michiko to Hatchin is pure awesome sauce. I was a little worried about a potential for fan service overload, but what the show has that can be considered fan service at all is tongue in cheek.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Andrez wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Er... are you talking about screening times in the US or here in Japan? If Japan, most new anime series start in around mid-October like this one, and screen in the midnight to 2am slot... no surprise there. But if the US, you're probably right.

i mean it came later in the fall anime season. it started like two or three weeks after everything else did, so it got lost in the shuffle. it aired at 2am japanese time, which put a lot of people off of checking it out.
Andrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, OK, I get your point; just wanted to double-check.

Yep, it was a wee bit tardy getting started (2 weeks like you say), but among a lot of my otaku mates here in Japan that generally wouldn't phase them, nor would the 2:00am timeslot.

I think it may have just got nudged by a lot of bigger, "better" studios with heftier advertising budgets; I also don't think the themes in general appealed to the Joe Average Japanese anime fan.

Definitely food for thought trying to figure out why it faded.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
Hm, since this show needs a little boost, I guess I'll post my thought on it...

Uh, yeah, shamelessly plugging the blog again... but, you know, it has all the HTML codes and whatnot...

That said, I was lazy with regards to talking about this show:

http://dklaeno.blogspot.com/2009/12/sayo-yamamotos-michiko-e-hatchin.html

If I were to add something...

Uh, I dunno: overall, it was a cool show and I like that it wasn't simply just a female version of Shinichiro Watanabe's shows; there was actually a lot of emphasis on great genuine character interaction and, interestingly, when there was action, a lot of the times Michiko isn't actually able to get herself out of some really impossible situations, which I liked since it gave a better air of plausibility.

But, yeah... really interesting show; just wish that the production held together till the end, but given how amazing and consistent the initial content was, it shouldn't be too surprising that they'd run out of fuel midway...
Norse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation has decided, in all their great wisdom, to license one of studio manglobe's most defining shows!

Our prayers are answered!!

oh wait

what?

nvm they licensed the god damn Sacred Blacksmith

i guess this show will fade into obscurity while garbage like that gets released freely
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Norse wrote:
FUNimation has decided, in all their great wisdom, to license one of studio manglobe's most defining shows!

Our prayers are answered!!

oh wait

what?

nvm they licensed the god damn Sacred Blacksmith

i guess this show will fade into obscurity while garbage like that gets released freely
Thats sum ole bulshitttt!!!
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Ha, I'm with you.

Blacksmith isn't all that bad, it's just...generic & doesn't really try to go outside the box of its genre. At least the visuals are pleasing given Manglobe. I stopped halfway but I'm planning to finish it soon (or wait until the dub comes out & see) But what others have to say about it in blogs....isn't all that good Surprised

Personally, I favor Michiko over Blacksmith, character-wise.
They're just more interesting & engaging to me.
And it's not like MaH doesn't have its own faults either (the pacing was bad in some parts)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8