• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Cracks Down on Bootleggers at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vherub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:41 am Reply with quote
I agree about amazon/ebay other internet auction sites are very, VERY guilty of sellers pushing bootlegs (all the more confusing to those new to anime who cannot yet know the difference between legit and bootlegs) Even simple things like region free ALWAYS meaning bootleg is still debated. I sent an email to Bandai pointing amazon/ebay specifically to target and I suggest anyone else who feels the same way does so. The more voices, the better in this case.
Himemiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:02 am Reply with quote
House of Anime has bootlegs? O.o What type of bootlegs was HOA caught with?
Alias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I think house of anime has removed their bootleg dvds.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Fortunately, Anime Castle told me that they have no intention to continue their HK DVD section. I was told that they had no plans to purchase more HK DVDs and that as soon as they sold off their existing merchandise they would clsoe the section. Since then I've been carefully watching their HK section and they have not added any new titles.

So yes, I have made an exception for AC, as long as I continue to believe that AC is honest in wanting to shut down that section, I will continue to accept their sponsorship. Should I ever have reason to believe that they lied to me, I will, very regretably, stop running their banners.

-t

I appreciate ANN's loyalty to its commercial sponsors. It's a position that not many sites would take. And ANN has obviously taken a hit with some users for this position.

However, I find it interesting that AC wouldn't just remove the HK inventory entirely, and write up the inventory loss. By continuing to sell bootleg merchandise, Anime Castle runs the risk of getting sued in court by the R1 licensees. The cost of litigation will be a lot higher than any marginal profit AC would obtain from selling its existing inventory of bootleg dvds. So I have to question Bill Lai's position on this issue.
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
My problem with AnimeCastle and the reason I don't buy from them?

Their dishonesty.

I bought the GW soundtracks AND the Yami no Matsuei soundtracks there a few years back... I was also totally new in online fandoms and did not know better.

The CDs cost me an arm and a leg (at the time the Canadian/US exchange rate was high + my package got stopped at Canadian customs and I got imposed a lovely $20 duty)... and I discovered a few months later that ALL my lovely soundtracks were bootlegs (SonMay).

An example here: http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/p_acga-062.html

So now I don't touch AC... and I must say I find ANN policy of getting money from an enterprise known for their handling bootlegs is very hypocritical so when I read a rant from one of your editorialist about bootlegs, evil HK pirates (no, I don't buy from them but it's because the 'quality' is too lousy to bother), I just shrug and continue on my merry way.
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
vherub wrote:
Even simple things like region free ALWAYS meaning bootleg is still debated.

My totally legit Central Park Media boxset of Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness) is Region 0... and is a legit DVD (aka no Chinese in sight Anime smile).

http://www.centralparkmedia.com/cpmdb/cfcpm.cfm?Cat=USMD_2220
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
vherub wrote:

My totally legit Central Park Media boxset of Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness) is Region 0... and is a legit DVD (aka no Chinese in sight Anime smile).

Yup CPM likes to release region 0 dvds, but for the most part, if you find a region free dvd, then it's a boot. Especially if it's region 0 and has english + chinese subs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
mirichan wrote:
vherub wrote:

Yup CPM likes to release region 0 dvds, but for the most part, if you find a region free dvd, then it's a boot. Especially if it's region 0 and has english + chinese subs.

There will always be exceptions, but it still makes for a good rule of thumb. Some Japanese DVDs have subtitles, a few even have english tracks, but these are still very few and far between.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
s-girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Himemiya wrote:

In addition to renting out DVDs that were not legal releases even after the legit ones came into market, their CD collection is comprised primarily of SonMays, EverAnimes and Alion.

Their wallscrolls and posters also appeared to be not from Japan but of the sort that many other vendors carry (printed in Hong Kong or Taiwan).

House of Anime was likely picked out because of their large presence at many cons and their long history in the business.

I can't speak for their J-Pop/Rock collection, but I do remember a staffer saying that those were the legit releases, but I never bought any so couldn't tell you.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Himemiya wrote:

I don't think they sold them from their website, but I have seen a few for sale & rent at their actual store location.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see companies cracking down on bootlegs. I really hate when companies let thieves slide especially when the DVD have chinese and english subtitles and also the English Dub track. I really hope the companies can stop the bootleggers from doing this. As for myself I do not have any major problem with bootlegs of shows that do not have any U.S release or anywhere else in the world since sometimes it's the only way to get some shows with at least a descent subtrak. It's definetly time to take it to the bootleggers for stealing the R1's and they need to keep the Bootleggers from Bringing them back into Japan as well. Unfortunately I still think the market for bootlegs will always exist especially for shows that will almost never get a translated release. Such as Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger and other tokusatsu series and some other shows which you wonder why they aren't here already such as Gear Senshi Dendoh and Tekkaman Blade (un edited).
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
So now I don't touch AC... and I must say I find ANN policy of getting money from an enterprise known for their handling bootlegs is very hypocritical so when I read a rant from one of your editorialist about bootlegs, evil HK pirates (no, I don't buy from them but it's because the 'quality' is too lousy to bother), I just shrug and continue on my merry way.

By "editorialist" who are you referring to? My understanding of the ANN columns is that the views expressed aren't necessarily official ANN views. But it would be different if the writer is an Editor-in-chief, though.
yoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I think it's great that these companies are cracking down, but I really don't see any profit coming from it. The only thing that will happen is more of the international crowd being a little irked that Americans are shutting down some of their pathways to the market. I guarantee that Bandai will only see profit increases because the market is growing in the US, not because they shut off HK bootlegs. Other than that go American Licensees!
somedude67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
vherub wrote:
I agree about amazon/ebay other internet auction sites are very, VERY guilty of sellers pushing bootlegs (all the more confusing to those new to anime who cannot yet know the difference between legit and bootlegs) Even simple things like region free ALWAYS meaning bootleg is still debated. I sent an email to Bandai pointing amazon/ebay specifically to target and I suggest anyone else who feels the same way does so. The more voices, the better in this case.

One way to tell is the "Engwish used". It is horrendous. Smile I thought I was purchasing a legitimate version of an Anime series and found the english translation to be completely grammatically incorrect in structure.

At Anime Gamer they have a top ten list of signs of a bootleg version:

http://www.anihina.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5447
RHorsman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Aw c'mon now people: filthy triads who never worked a real day in their lives gotta eat too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9