• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old intro thread (and farewells).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote
Hi, I live in Gilbert, AZ. For those of you who live in the East Valley of Arizona, I normally go to Atomic Comics in Mesa at least once a month. I go to ASU and will be graduating next May.

I also happen to be a long time anime fan. My favorite animes are Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, The Gundam franchise, GTO, Gokusen, Inuyasha and too many to list.

I am also into J-Doramas like GTO and Gokusen adaptions

よろしくお願いします
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
This site is a great "network" (pardon the pun) of anime, manga, and all sorts of that information.

Yesterday I was reading some TokyoPop's stuff and I saw some
Love Hina publicity on the publicity pages. However, it includes a commentary (saying that Love Hina is really great), and signed by Anime News Network.

After that I consider ANN more than a great "network", hehe...
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, should have poted here first...

Hello, I'm a new user(obviously), taking temporary refuge here for anime info now that the G4TechTV Anime Unleashed boards are down.

I like the more intellectual shows with philosphy and symbolism because it reminds of a good book, lol. I haven't seen that many titles compared to most of you probably but I think I have enough exposure to the anime world. As I said before, I am from the G4TechTV boards; for those who have the channel, I hope you watch Anime Unleashed. It's a mindtrip compared to AS. Toonami is better though because it has Gundam Seed Very Happy

Me = Gundam fan
Ran-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hiya. I'm new on this site, as a matter of fact i signed in only yesterday. I became interested in Anime only last year after seeing Ranma 1/2 for the first time. Also, I'm hoping to start my own Anime and Manga collection.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:03 am Reply with quote
Welcome you 2.

DragonofHeaven, if you like philosphical and intellectual, you should try Jin-Roh. Well, it's more psychological than philosophical really, but I like it because I'd never seen anything like it.

And Ran-chan, you should try Inu-Yasha if you haven't already seen it. It was created by the same person that made Ranma (sorry if you already knew that... Anime smile + sweatdrop).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome, both of you.

Unlike Tony K., I didn't particularly enjoy Jin-Roh (though I'm certainly willing to admit that it is a fine anime, and this dislike is only a matter of my personal taste). Instead, allow me to offer Omohide Poro Poro ("Only Yesterday") as an alternative psychological and philosophical film. It is, in many ways, completely the antithesis of Jin-Roh. It's non-violent and optimistic, where Jin-Roh is violent and cynical.

And while we're mentioning anime by Takahashi Rumiko, let's not forget Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura...

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lady_rin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hi,

My name is Lady Rin and I live between the Sonora and Mojave deserts not to far from Palm Springs, Ca. I love anime and my current favorites are Automatic Maiden and I, my, me Strawberry eggs. I also have a complete Chobits.

My boyfriend/husband/lover is also otaku and is called desertranger but mostly he hangs out at www.freefalcon.com or www.falconuk.co.uk. His current fav is Last Exile and Big O. He also spend his time playing Falcon 4.0 flght simulator which is very nice but to difficult for me. He would like to make a Last Exile Vanship for his flight sim and is trying to get one of his Falcon friends to help him do that.

Thanks for being here to answer my questions, I'll probably have a lot of them relating to Japanese/anime culture.

Am I allowed do this?

Lady Rin - the Desert Flower (my Ranger calls me that).

Last edited by lady_rin on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote
lady_rin wrote:
My boyfriend/husband/lover is also otaku and (...) spend his time playing Falcon 4.0 flght simulator which is very coo but to difficlut for me. He would like to make a Last Exile Vanship for his flight sim and is trying to get one of his Falcon friends to help him do that.

That's a monstrously cool idea. If he makes it, I'd like to see a screendump. Smile

lady_rin wrote:
Am I allowed do this?

No, I don't think so - if by "this" you mean the pseudosignature with the included image. There's nothing in the rules against included images, but they do say explicitly:

TEH RULES wrote:
5) Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Hello!

Been lurking around for awhile, even posting some stuff lately, but I decided to wait on a formal introduction until I got my avatar working. Smile

I am a somewhat older (early 30s) longtime anime fan who is campaigning to be one of ANN's new staff reviewers. (Last I heard I was a finalist for the position.) I am a strong supporter of dubs, and maintain a website (www.usaanime.us) focused on them. What spare time I don't kill on anime is usually spent on fantasy RPGs and fantasy football. In RL I teach high school math and am looking to get an anime club going in my school.

I'd list favorite titles, but that'd be a long list. Obviously, though, Key The Metal Idol would be near the top of the list. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Unlike Tony K., I didn't particularly enjoy Jin-Roh (though I'm certainly willing to admit that it is a fine anime, and this dislike is only a matter of my personal taste).

Ah, yes. Well, I tend to have a thing for depressing movies . I guess I'm weird... .

Key wrote:
I am a somewhat older (early 30s) longtime anime fan who is campaigning to be one of ANN's new staff reviewers. (Last I heard I was a finalist for the position.) I am a strong supporter of dubs, and maintain a website focused on them.

That's great. Being a strong supporter of dubs, in my opinion, is essential to being a good anime reviewer (if that's what you're trying out for). I think a lot of fans like knowing whether or not a dub is well performed. I personally am very picky about dubs, but I just want to commend you on your open support and wish you luck in getting that job, as we could use some more reviews. Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
abunai wrote:
Unlike Tony K., I didn't particularly enjoy Jin-Roh (though I'm certainly willing to admit that it is a fine anime, and this dislike is only a matter of my personal taste).

Ah, yes. Well, I tend to have a thing for depressing movies . I guess I'm weird... .

You're saying this to a fellow who has an entire category in his personal lists especially devoted to melancholy anime...?

I didn't dislike Jin-Roh because it was depressing. I like depressing films, but this one just didn't strike my fancy. Things work like that, sometimes.

- abunai
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
You're saying this to a fellow who has an entire category in his personal lists especially devoted to melancholy anime...?

You thought Trigun was melancholy? I guess it is here and there, but overall I'd say it's a mix of a lot of things.

And I haven't seen all of Haibane Renmei yet, but I totally agree it's a Masterpiece Wink.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
abunai wrote:

You thought Trigun was melancholy? I guess it is here and there, but overall I'd say it's a mix of a lot of things.

Yes, it definitely was. spoiler[Consider the situation that Vash is in, especially near the end of the series. Consider what he finds himself forced to do, by Legato. Consider the fact that Vash cannot allow himself to form permanent relationships or settle down, for fear of bringing death and destruction to the people he cares for.] If you think that isn't "melancholy", you have a heart of flint.

As for Haibane Renmei... there are about four or five anime (and about as many non-anime films) that can reliably bring me to tears every time I see them - and Haibane Renmei is one of them.

- abunai

Last edited by abunai on Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ran-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have been watching Inu-Yasha over the past year and I absolutely love it. I didn't know that it was created by Rumiko Takahashi though so thank you for that info.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yes, it definitely was. spoiler[Consider the situation that Vash is in, especially near the end of the series. Consider what he finds himself forced to do, by Legato. Consider the fact that Vash cannot allow himself to form permanent relationships or settle down, for fear of bringing death and destruction to the people he cares for.] If you think that isn't "melancholy", you have a heart of flint.

Well sure it was melancholy towards the end. That's why I said "here and there."

I just feel that a majority of this series overall doesn't strike me as "melancholy," what with the more than ocassional comedy relief. But don't get me wrong, I still like it Wink.

To me, a melancholy title usually has very little or no comedy with a lot of character devlopment or at least a well written story that isn't all action and is accompanied by some good plot twists.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen is probably THE most melancholy title I've ever seen and I love it to pieces. Other titles I think fit this category are .hack//SIGN, RahXephon, and possibly X (TV).

Pretty much any title that doesn't make me laugh is what I'd call "melancholy," and Trigun made me laugh quite a bit "here and there."

I don't cry when watching anime, though I've been pretty close on a few (GTO, X (TV), Kare Kano, and Saber Marionette J). I'm trying to make my emotions as immovable as possible, but that's another story...

I would say my heart is made of a giant slinky. Metallic and closed up for the most part, but very stretched out and open given the right thing can pull it apart .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 101