• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Nabari no Ou Ninja Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, regardless, the characters in the picture look like CLAMP drew them...which is weird since I don't think they had any involvement with the series.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP doesn't have any part of the project.
The guys are really skinny and kinda tall though, yeah.

But other titles that also run in GFantasy seem to try and reel in a female audience, despite being a shounen magazine, which might explain why the character designs and some situations in Nabari no Ou are as they are.

Kuroshitsuji, Switch, Tactics, and Pandora Hearts also run in GFantasy, for example.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
no, it's not shounen. rather, it's bishounen. The problem I had with it was that I just didn't find the story or the characters compelling. I got no emotions at all from the Yoite emo-ness....
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't even follow fan-subs but this show looks generically generic. I think I'll pass.

I completly agree with you. Looks like a run of the mill shonen show. Hopefully the other shows prove to be more interesting.

I watched Nabari and I have to tell you, it is the complete opposite of a generic shonen show. You guys should really give it a chance, watch the first one or two episodes at least if you're not willing to buy it right away.

He's right it's not generic but there are other problems with it that alot of people won't like. It has yaoish qualities along with a very emo cast that due to them, episodes can drag on. It really should have been designed as a 13 episode series.

Oh yea whoever mentioned Shikabane, it was done by Gainax. Right now due to Gurren Lagann, anything Gainax touches is automatic gold.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I remember when watching Nabari fansubs thinking that it'd fit in well with FUNI's catalog... although I didn't think about it being included in this current batch of licenses. I watched enough of the fansub that I feel like I'll be committed to pick it up... hopefully they'll be the season (or half season) sets as opposed to singles.

Anyway, I figured they'd have to unveil something other than an ex-Geneon title on Christmas. Yay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gorbal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

I watched Nabari and I have to tell you, it is the complete opposite of a generic shonen show. You guys should really give it a chance, watch the first one or two episodes at least if you're not willing to buy it right away.

Quote:

He's right it's not generic but there are other problems with it that alot of people won't like. It has yaoish qualities along with a very emo cast that due to them, episodes can drag on. It really should have been designed as a 13 episode series.

I didn't think it dragged at all...it's slow and subtle like Mushi Shi at times, so it won't suit all sensibilities; but personally I found the plot and characters intriguing.

I think the problem was it drew in all kinds of action fans with the first and third episode, and then they got all complainy when the thrills didn't keep coming.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well someone's slow is another person's dragging. However one episode that sticks in my mind is episode(17 I think) in which Miharu chases Yoite all through the snow for one episode doing nothing but repeating the same thing they have been repeating for around 10 episodes.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ArrancarNelTu wrote:
Also, haven't we got ENOUGH ninja animes? Geez, stop milking what's left of that genre.

I, for one, wanted nothing more than to see this licensed.

A serious and mature show about ninjas that's not dumbed down like Naruto and Ninja Nonsense? The otaku-tachi want none of it, but it's not impossible.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't even follow fan-subs but this show looks generically generic. I think I'll pass.

I completly agree with you. Looks like a run of the mill shonen show. Hopefully the other shows prove to be more interesting.

Oh yea whoever mentioned Shikabane, it was done by Gainax. Right now due to Gurren Lagann, anything Gainax touches is automatic gold.

Gainax has had a Midas touch since a certain series from 1997, it's not just GL.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
ArrancarNelTu wrote:
Also, haven't we got ENOUGH ninja animes? Geez, stop milking what's left of that genre.

I, for one, wanted nothing more than to see this licensed.

A serious and mature show about ninjas that's not dumbed down like Naruto and Ninja Nonsense? The otaku-tachi want none of it, but it's not impossible.

Ninjas are cool, but I personally prefer them in video games. Please don't hate me for this, but animes centered around them just bore me. I don't know why, they just do.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Saw this coming when I watched it earlier in the year. Not something I would pick up. It drags pretty badly and gets fairly annoying whenever they focus on Yoite and Miharu's relationship. Miharu isn't all that likable either. Most of the fandom seems to be anti-Naruto fans. It should do well enough over here.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Gainax has had a Midas touch since a certain series from 1997, it's not just GL.

You mean 1995.
But as much as we all love (It's my favorite) that I think most japanese fans would say Otaku No Video was their first masterpiece. (A small few might even say Wings of Honneamise)

It's not really fair to say that yaoish qualities(though I'm not a fan) make the show unwatchable because lots of shows have yuri undertones to appease the fans with the attention span of a fly if a girl isn't groping another girl or spewing double entendres for half her lines yet the show is still regarded as very good.
Also emo casts are pretty popular right now. Due to a mixture of Lulu, Light, Sasuke and Yuki Nagato I think Laughing
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Ah...yeah, I just checked the entry and the vintage IS 1995. Apologies, how could I get the original production year of my favorite anime wrong Surprised

But...I dunno, even Ninja Nonsense looked fun because from one picture I saw it had a bunch of adorable GENERIC NINJAS in the background, how can you not love that?

This, though, I don't see how it would turn out that great with such a generic shonen look to it. Also, I'm surprised how many people have seen it if it's getting such mixed opinions.

And yaoi undertones make me =/ unless the series has at least one or two good het relationships for me to focus on, no 'ffense to the yaoi fans.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
Well the yaoi undertones are pretty obvious and its crucial to the whole show. I don't mind a show having strong bonds of friendship but it got to the point where I just wanted to yell at the screen for Miharu and Yoite to just kiss already. In regards to the cast, well I don't mind if someone is emo for a couple of episodes but it pretty much lasted the whole anime. I also didn't particularly like the action scenes either as they felt unnatural.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Only in a shounen directed audience would people think that Miharu and Yoite were hot for eachother Rolling Eyes

Seriously, a lot of the "yaoi undertones" were done for comedic purposes, and Miharu and Yoite's "closeness was a plot point spoiler[when Miharu looked at Yoite he reminded him so much of himself that he wanted to help him that is to say Yoite was like the best friend or kindred soul he never had and unbeknowest to himself up till that point was always searching for]. So you see unless you have a serious masculinity complex (which I'm beginning to think most shounen fans do) it'll be as plain as day to you and Yoite and Miharu are just friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4