News HIDIVE Anime Streaming Service Launches With Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Update 3)
posted on 2017-06-20 16:42 EDT
Legal anime streaming service HIDIVE launched a beta version on Tuesday. The service is primarily hosting content from Section23 Films, though Section23 Films told ANN that it is not affiliated with HIDIVE, and the HIDIVE platform will be open to titles from other publishers.
HIDIVE currently offers an ad-supported free membership, but English dubs, exclusive titles, uncensored content, subtitle style options, and HD video are only available for subscribers. Membership will cost US$3.99 per month for a limited time as an introductory price, and a seven-day free trial is available. Subscribers can add up to two simultaneous streams for US$1 each.
HIDIVE is premiering Legend of the Galactic Heroes with English subtitles in installments. The first four episodes are available now and four more episodes will launch on June 22. Sentai Filmworks announced in 2015 that it had licensed the 110-episode series.
In addition to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, HIDIVE is offering a number of original video anime (OVAs) that were previously only available through home video releases. A full list of exclusive anime series, OVAs, and live-action films is below.
HIDIVE exclusive titles include:
- Amagi Brilliant Park OVA
- Aoharu x Machinegun OVA
- Arch Angels
- The Asylum Session
- Beyond the Boundary OVA
- Brynhildr in the Darkness OVA
- Busou Shinki OVA
- Cobra The Animation
- Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun
- Cobra The Animation: Time Drive
- Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
- Corpse Party (live-action)
- Dusk maiden of Amnesia
- Di Gi Charat
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya OAV
- Five Numbers!
- Frame Arms Girl
- The Fucons
- Gatchaman The Movie
- Gatchaman OAV
- Girls und Panzer OVA
- Godzilla vs. Gigan
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah
- The Return of Godzilla
- Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
- Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom: Wild Dance of Kyoto
- Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom: Warrior Spirit of the Blue Sky
- Hayate the Combat Butler! Heaven Is a Place on Earth
- High School Of Dead: Drifters Of The Dead
- Hoshizora Kiseki
- Infinite Stratos 2: World Purge-hen
- Infinite Stratos 2 OVA
- Jewel BEM Hunter Lime
- Kämpfer für die Liebe
- Kokoro Connect OVA
- K-On OVA
- K-On The Movie
- The Kunoichi
- La storia della Arcana Famiglia
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! OVA
- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! -Heart Throb- OVA
- Love, Election and Chocolate OVA
- Mahoromatic: I'm Home!
- Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
- Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
- Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust
- My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy OVA
- Patlabor OVA
- Patlabor 2: The Movie
- Patlabor WXIII (dubbed)
- Persona 4 The Animation OVA
- Place to Place OVA
- RIN-NE 3
- Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre
- Saiyuki Gaiden
- Short Peace
- Student Council's Discretion Level 2 OVA
- Strawberry Marshmallow
- Strawberry Marshmallow Encore
- Strawberry Marshmallow OAV
- This Boy Can Fight Aliens!
- This Boy Caught a Merman
- Time Bokan
- Triage X OVA
- Waiting in the Summer OAV
- Wakaba Girl OVA
In addition, two Hidamari Sketch specials are listed as "coming soon."
Update: Section23 Films indicated that the Anime Network Online streaming service will discontinue and The Anime Network will continue to operate as a video on demand provider. However, Section23 Films is not affiliated with either The Anime Network or HIDIVE so the information has not been officially confirmed. As of press time, The Anime Network and HIDIVE have not responded to ANN's press inquiries.
The Anime Network Online announced on Monday that it "will be experiencing some big service changes over the coming weeks."
The Anime Network was formerly a subsidiary of A.D. Vision, and continued to operate independently after A.D. Vision shut down in 2009. The company offered a 24/7 linear television service from 2004 to 2008.
Update 2: Anime Network confirmed that its streaming website will, going forward, focus solely on the company's cable and video on demand provider.
Update 3: (6/21) An earlier version of this article noted that the HIDIVE website was down due to high traffic, and that the official Twitter account stated it would be back up soon. The website is now back up.
Update 4: (6/21) HIDIVE LLC issued a press release on Wednesday confirming that it has acquired Anime Network Online's assets. Anime Network Online will cease operations following a limited transition period for subscriber migration.
[Via Todd DuBois]
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history