• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
Takuto Tsunashi, Star Driver

Voting For: Takuto Tsunashi

Fighting to fight, to perfect your craft- stuff of Shonen coolness- not my thing- maybe it'd work for a badass category but not for general cool.

Either you're thinking of the wrong character or you're not familiar with Kyouraku at all, because this description does [d]not[/b] fit him. In fact, none of the other Court Guard Squad Captains try to avoid getting in needless fights more diligently than he does. That's part of what makes him so cool: although he is supposedly one of the most powerful Soul Repears, he never fights unless he absolutely has to.

Sure enough- still thinking of Kenpachi Zaraki from last round- who I actually voted for because Saber had such a non-write up and he did fit Bad-ass well enough. As for Kyouraku, I barely remember him-- which is not such a good thing- I did watch Bleach until the first filler arc started. Although the idea of a laidback swordsman appeals to me if done well- it's not enough to make me change my vote. (will edit this into my argument)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
Kanako Watanabe, Star Driver
My vote: Kino
Never seen either series, though both are on my list to watch. I''ve heard quite a bit about Kino though, and she seems like a pretty cool character.

Group B-2
Letopanyu Spoor, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise
vs.
Twenty Faces, Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief
My vote: Letopanyu Spoor
Based on the guide entries alone I'd go the other way, but the comments from other voters make me think Spoor is actually the better choice.

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.
Allen Schezar, Escaflowne franchise
My vote: Allen Schezar
More a vote against C.C than anything. I don't dislike her, but she doesn't really fit this tournament very much I think.

Group B-4
Medicine Seller, Ayakashi, Mononoke
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half
My vote: Medicine Seller
This could have gone either way, as neither the guide entries or the comments convince me that one is definitely better than the other. Still, I have to vote for one of them, and I like the way the Medicine Seller looks. Cool art style.

Group B-5
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
vs.
Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask
My vote: Yuuko Ichihara
Another one that could have gone either way, but based on the guide entries and comments I give Yuuko the edge.

Group B-6
The Count, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei
My vote: The Count
Definitely the Count. He's cool and bad-ass and mysterious and awesome and more things I'll probably mention in future rounds.

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho
My vote: Nicholas Wolfwood
I've always liked Wolfwood, so he gets my pick over the character I don't know.

Group B-8
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kenji Harima, School Rumble
My Vote: Taichi Keaton
I remember Keaton a little from the most intelligent tournament, and what I saw of him them seemed pretty cool to me.

Group B-9
Akira Tokizawa Eden of the East
vs.
Sai Jounouchi, Angelic Layer
My vote: Akira Tokizawa
Yay, actually seen both series here. Sai was ok I guess, but she doesn't stand a chance against someone like Akira, who as others have pointed out, can literally charm the pants off of someone.

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.
George Koizumi, Paradise Kiss
My vote: George Koizumi
Guide entries/comments are the reason here.

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
My vote: Kyouraku Shunsui
Shunsui is awesome. Some people may be inclined to vote against him because he's from Bleach, a series that is a guilty pleasure of mine but which I'll admit has some... issues. But even so, don't hold that against Shunsui. He's still incredibily cool. Though since creating characters that are cool is actually one of Bleach's strengths, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Group B-12
Rin Tohsaka, Fate/stay night
vs.
Roy Focker, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Robotech
My vote: Rin Tohsaka
Tough choice here. I've never seen either series, but I've heard enough about Fate/stay night's protagonist Shirou to immediately want to vote for Roy as soon as I heard Rin liked Shirou, despite initially leaning towards Rin. But guet's defense made me reconsider and decide to stick with my initial decision.

Group B-13
November 11, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Shigure Sohma, Fruits Basket
My vote: November 11
He's pretty awesome. I'd say he blows fellow Darker than Black character Hei out of the water (though part of that is because season 2 of DtB was not kind to Hei) and he definitely deserves to go on this round.

Group B-14
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ryoji Kaji, Neon Genesis Evangelion
My vote: Utena Tenjou
One of these days I'm going to have to get ahold of a subtitled version of Utena so I can watch that series. Wasn't it supposed to be re-released by Right Stuff or something? Anyways, Utena is a character I'm fairly familiar with despite never having seen her series, and from what I've heard she's more deserving than her competition this round.

Group B-15
Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game
My vote: Reinhard von Lohengramm
There was some healthy debate between the two contenders here this round, and in the end I decided to go for Reinhard. Haven't seen either series and was somewhat torn between the two, but oh well.

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Soldier Blue, Toward the Terra franchise
My vote: Roger Smith
He's kind of like batman. A batman who fights in a giant robot. What's not to love?
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

My vote goes to: Kino.

Group B-2
vs.

My vote goes to: Twenty Faces.

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.

My vote goes to: C.C.

Group B-4
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half

My vote goes to: Medicine Seller.

Group B-5
vs.

My vote goes to: Yuuko Ichihara.

Group B-6
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei

The Count just oozes cool. Everyone that meets him is instantly under his spell. Though he is feigning his friendly demeanor, he is actually plotting his revenge on those who wronged him.

His tragic past strengthens his resolve to plot the downfall of his so called friends. A guy who can keep his cool around his most hated enemies is a good characteristic to go under "cool."

My vote goes to: The Count.

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

Kurama is the brains and looks of Team Urameshi. Those that underestimate the beauty of roses will feel the prick of its thorns. He may seem to be on the defensive but is actually formulating his plans for success.

His trademark Rose Whip is a perfect fit for him, beautiful yet deadly.

My vote goes to: Kurama.

Group B-8
vs.

My vote goes to: Taichi Keaton.

Group B-9
vs.

My vote goes to: Akira Tokizawa.

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.

My vote goes to: Fee Carmichal.

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.

My vote goes to: Takuto Tsunashi.

Group B-12
vs.

My vote goes to: Roy Focker.

Group B-13
vs.

My vote goes to: November 11.

Group B-14
vs.

My vote goes to: Utena Tenjou.

Group B-15
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game

My vote goes to: Yuhei Azuma.

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

My vote goes to: Soldier Blue.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
My vote: Kino
I think characters like her with calm, but steady confidence will be underestimated. She kicks ass without being blatant about it.

Group B-2
vs.
My vote: Letopanyu Spoor
It's a shame Spoor has a poor guide. She's fierce, authoritative, and she steals ever scene she is in with prowess, confidence and vigor that make her look cool without even breaking a sweat.

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.
My vote: CC
I think both of these characters are incredibly weak choices.

Group B-4
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half
My vote: Medicine Seller

Group B-5
vs.
My vote: Yuuko Ichihara

Group B-6
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei
My vote: The Count
Probably the most lopsided match in this group.

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho
My vote: Nicholas Wolfwood
Wolfwood oozes cool. He serves harsh justice to those who sin with confidence.

Group B-8
vs.
My Vote: Harima

Group B-9
vs.
My vote: Akira Tokizawa
Akira was the very first person I thought of when this tournament was selected.

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.
My vote: Fee

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
My vote: Takutoi

Group B-12
vs.
My vote: Roy Focker

Group B-13
vs.
My vote: November 11
He may not charm your pants off, but he can be confident and poised even when his pants are off. I can't help, but draw parallels between his character and Akira. Nov 11. is bolder and more colorful, but I think Akira is more likable and enigmatic.

Group B-14
vs.
My vote: Kaji
More of a pity vote, but I think he was the coolest character in NGE. Sadly, that's not saying much.

Group B-15
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game
My vote: Reinhard von Lohengramm
I think he would do better is a most admirable or most intelligent tournament, but I still think he should fare well here as well. It's a shame he got paired up against Lelouch before I even had a chance to watch History Channel in Space, ahem, I mean Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think his biggest weakness is that he is too trusting and naive. I also think it's unreasonable to suggest that Reinhard has a sister fetish or is a closet pedophile.

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
My vote: Roger Smith
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I ended up missing the first round last week...but then again, there weren't too many unexpected or surprising results either. Still, I did miss out on making a couple of comments here and there.

On the other hand...I'm actually quite glad that my mini-game rank doesn't reflect my real life academic performance. Not that there is any direct or indirect relationship between the two factors though. Laughing

Well then, let's drop that and see what I'm going to do about this particular set of matches.

Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Vote for: Kino

Neither of them are particularly strong picks in the context of this tournament, but I really don't find Kanako to be especially "cool" in a way that I'd find admirable or worth supporting in the long run.

Group B-2
vs.

Vote for: Letopanyu Spoor

Not much of a surprise, considering I was regularly on Spoor's side last time around and it cannot be argued, at least in my opinion, that she would have been as good of a character, supporting or otherwise, as she was without also accumulating a fair amount of coolness. Twenty Faces sounds alright and I'd usually prefer his character type, in and of itself, but I'm otherwise not too familiar with him.

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.

Vote for: Allen Schezar

Not really feeling either choice but even if I don't exactly hate C.C., in all honesty she did provide some interesting interactions with Lelouch at various points in the show, and without taking into account a certain disappointing event in the second half of the story...after a while her aloofness and general passivity ended up making her a relatively boring character to watch.

She was, in short, underused and more of an spectator than anything else. There is a certain sense of coolness surrounding the concept of standing above and beyond the petty struggles and squabbles of the masses, for lack of a better description, but in retrospect too much of it counts as a negative in C.C.'s case. Granted, one might as well wish to blame the scriptwriters rather than the character herself for the sake of fairness and accuracy, but it's still not a good thing. If she had been given a more active or dynamic role though, things would be very different.

Group B-4
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half

Vote for: Medicine Seller

Group B-5
vs.

Vote for: Ayumi Himekawa

Group B-6
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei

Vote for: The Count

He has plenty of style, intellect, malice and seduction skills. A classic combination that was employed quite effectively throughout Gankutsuou. I'd argue that even if The Count wasn't the protagonist in this version of the story, he nevertheless remained the single most interesting and influential factor within it. I can't possibly fail to acknowledge that.

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

Vote for: Kurama

Group B-8
vs.

Vote for: Taichi Keaton

Group B-9
vs.

Vote for: Akira Tokizawa

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.

Vote for: George Koizumi

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.

Vote for: Takuto Tsunashi

Group B-12
vs.

Vote for: Rin Tohsaka

Mostly because of the guide entry and things I've heard here and there...it seems she's an interesting enough character based on a nevertheless questionable archetype, more or less, but the simple fact is that Roy's admittedly iconic status had more to do with the manner of his exit from the stage than with his inherent qualities, at least as far as I remember him.

Given the opportunity, I'd certainly like to see more characters like him and less Rins, to be sure, but I'd also like to see them used in more creative or at least more ambitious ways.

Group B-13
vs.

Vote for: November 11

Group B-14
vs.

Vote for: Utena Tenjou

Not only is Utena incredibly cool because of what she represents as a character, which makes her relatively unique if not entirely unprecedented (yes, I'm quite aware that Oscar's in this tournament too), she also manages to be impressive enough as an admirably heroic figure in her own right. It might be a rather straightforward kind of coolness, to be sure, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Group B-15
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game

Vote for: Reinhard von Lohengramm

This could be considered an unfair comparison but, alas, it's also a necessary one. Azuma is admittedly cool in the context of his own show, but Reinhard is cooler as far as my personal rankings are concerned. Suffice to say that he has an absolutely overpowering presence and, like I suggested in one of the pre-tournament discussions, several of his character flaws could even be considered as a positive instead of a negative because they make him more interesting (and, by extension, cool).

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Vote for: Roger Smith
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Shunsui is awesome. Some people may be inclined to vote against him because he's from Bleach, a series that is a guilty pleasure of mine but which I'll admit has some... issues. But even so, don't hold that against Shunsui. He's still incredibily cool. Though since creating characters that are cool is actually one of Bleach's strengths, that shouldn't be a surprise.

I'm pretty sure Bleach's massive popularity compared to Star Driver's practically nonexistent following is helping Shunsui far more than it hurts him, as people are much more likely to vote for a character they know rather than one they don't.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:

Group B-5
vs.
Pick: Yuuko Ichihara Another pick that's being underestimated.

I don't think she being underestimated right now, since she winning by alot, unless you meaning the tournament as a whole. I thought this match would be a little closer. but I guess I shouldn't be suprise since I betting alot more people have seen xxxHolic then Glass Mask.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Indeed, Yuuko is dominating, and was expected to do so, as well (picked roughly 3 to 1 against Ayumi in the minigame).

So, I'm not staying up to wait for the official score to come in, but unless I've reeeeeally miscounted, Olliff is still the leader, and slightly expanded his lead. Also, Key and Ggultra tie Olliff for high score this round.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group BC: General Cool is now closed.

I will used the corrected letter codes below. With 32 votes in, we ended up with one tie.

C-1: Kino crushes Kanako 28-4 in the Group's most dominating win.
C-2: Letopanyu Spoor defeats Twenty Faces 26-6.
C-3: Allen Shezar outduels C.C. 22-10.
C-4: Medicine Seller scams Dick Saucer to the poor house, 25-7.
C-5: Yuuko Ichihara defeats Ayumi 25-7.
C-6: The Count's revenge proved too much for Reki, 27-5.
C-7: Wolfwood defeats Kurama 23-9.
C-8: Taichi Keaton defeats Karima 23-9.
C-9: Akira Tokizawa stomps Sai 26-6.
C-10: Fee Carmichal outlasts George Koizumi, 18-14.
C-11: Kyouraku Shunsui eliminates Takuto 20-12.
C-12: Rin Tohsaka and Roy Focker tie.
C-13: November 11's naked cool defeats Shigure's doggy cool 25-7.
C-14: Utena Tenjou outduels Ryoji Kaji 22-10.
C-15: Reinhard von Lohengramm defeats Yuhei Azuma 25-7.
C-16: Roger Smith freezes Soldier Blue 21-11.

Other than the tie, no big surprises here. Next round should be very interesting, though, as I don't see any matches that look like gimmes.

Anyway, we'll have the Group numbered B for the second time in a row so I can get the groups back where they're supposed to be. That should go up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B: Mixed Group is now closed.

Results can be found here.

So this is now the correct Group B, and this one does, indeed, have a mix of Bad-Asses and General cool. I'm tired right now, so I'll save the more long-winded comments for later.

Group B-1
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Cobra, Space Adventure Cobra

Group B-2
Kirika Yumura, Noir
vs.
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Group B-3
Captain Harlock, various (see Guide entry)
vs.
Gennosuke Kouga, Basilisk

Group B-4
Ginko, Mushi-Shi
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Group B-5
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.
Toshio Oozaki, Shiki

Group B-6
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Tomari Kurusu, Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~

Group B-7
Gene Starwind, Outlaw Star
vs.
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin

Group B-8
Oscar Francois de Jarjay, Rose of Versailles
vs.
Ken Washio the Eagle, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

Group B-9
Lelouche Lamperouge Code Geass
vs.
Kyuzo, Ssamurai 7

Group B-10
Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
vs.
Sophie Forrester, Last Exile

Group B-11
Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
vs.
Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bebop

Group B-12
Nana Osaki, NANA
vs.
Black, Tekkonkinkreet

Group B-13
Sawa, Kite
vs.
Suzuka, Outlaw Star

Group B-14
Revy, Black Lagoon
vs.
Maka Album, Soul Eater

Group B-15
Master Asia/Tohofuhai Mobile Fighter G Gundam
vs.
Kenshiro, Fist of the North Star

Group B-16
Celty Sturluson, Durara!!
vs.
Amon, Witch Hunter Robin

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Group B-1

D, Vampire Hunter D

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Group B-5

Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Group B-6

One of the few women in anime that is older than 25 year old and with (quite often) a semi-broken spear, she's able to kick butt of several skilled warriors in a running battle yet is gentle enough to turn a scared child into a fine young man.

Group B-7

This is probably a pity vote for Gene but the kid tries hard.

Group B-8

Group B-9

Group B-10

Group B-11

Group B-12

Nana Osaki, NANA

Group B-13

Suzuka, Outlaw Star

Group B-14

Revy, Black Lagoon

Group B-15

Group B-16

Amon, Witch Hunter Robin
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Vote For Vampire Hunter D

Group B-2
Kirika Yumura, Noir
vs.
Vote For Sesshomaru

Group B-3
vs.
Vote For Gennosuke Kouga

Group B-4
Ginko, Mushi-Shi
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
Vote For Ginko

Group B-5
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.
Toshio Oozaki, Shiki
Vote For Kisuke Urahara

Group B-6
vs.
Vote For Balsa

Group B-7
vs.
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
Vote For Kenshin

Group B-8
vs.
Vote For Oscar Francois de Jarjay
I have not seen either series, but after reading the guides Oscar gets my vote.

Group B-9
vs.
Kyuzo, Samurai 7
Vote For Kyuzo
I find many moments in the series where I find Lelouche to be very annoying and some of the choices he make I think really damage his character; Kyuzo is cooler overall (of all the Samurai 7 characters, I think he deserved to be here the most.)

Group B-10
vs.
Vote For LadyEboshi

Group B-11
vs.
Char Aznable

Group B-12
Nana Osaki, NANA
vs.
Black, Tekkonkinkreet
Vote For Nana Osaki

Group B-13
Sawa, Kite
vs.
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
Vote For Sawa

Group B-14
Revy, Black Lagoon
vs.
Maka Album, Soul Eater
Vote For revy

Group B-15
vs.
Vote For Kenshiro

Group B-16
vs.
Amon, Witch Hunter Robin
Vote For Celty
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.

D

Group B-2
Kirika Yumura, Noir
vs.

Sesshomaru

Group B-3
vs.

Captain Harlock The coolest character in anime ever.

Group B-4
Ginko, Mushi-Shi
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Ginko

Group B-5
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.
Toshio Oozaki, Shiki

Hard choice Kisuke Urahara

Group B-6
vs.

Balsa, I doubt that Tomari Kurusu is more cooler than Balsa.

Group B-7
vs.
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin

Kenshin

Group B-8
vs.

Oscar Francois de Jarjay No contest, one-dimensional character from Gatchaman doesn't stand a chance against Oscar.

Group B-9
vs.
Kyuzo, Ssamurai 7

Kyuzo Lulu has made too much ridiculous facial expressions in CG R2 and spoiler[was killed with a pink sword.] It's not cool.

Group B-10
vs.

Sophie Forrester

Group B-11
vs.

Char Aznable

Group B-12
Nana Osaki, NANA
vs.
Black, Tekkonkinkreet

Nana Osaki

Group B-13
Sawa, Kite
vs.
Suzuka, Outlaw Star

Suzuka

Group B-14
Revy, Black Lagoon
vs.
Maka Album, Soul Eater

Revy

Group B-15
vs.

Kenshiro

Group B-16
vs.
Amon, Witch Hunter Robin

Celty Sturluson
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
Actual Group B votes:

B-1: Cobra
B-2: Kirika Yumra
B-3: Captain Harlock
B-4: Ginko
Ginko is the type of character that, much like Kino, is the type of cool that I'd personally like to one day achieve myself, thus I vote for him here

B-5: Kisuke Urahara
B-6: Balsa
Past tourneys were unable to convince me that she was overly heroic, but the video clips certainly proved she has ballsa.

B-7: Gene Starwind
Such an unfortunate line up, but having just read a bunch of Kenshin manga, Kenshin is a great fighter, but just lacks that mood and personality that Gene Starwind has that just screams cool with the ability to back it up too that Kenshin just doesn't have for me. Sure, Kenshin could probably beat him in a fight, but if being cool is more than just fighting skill and it's about demeanor, then Gene Starwind has that in spades over Kenshin and this is an easy vote for me.

B-8: Lady Oscar
B-9: Kyuzo
B-10: Lady Eboshi
B-11: Faye Valentine
B-12: Nana Osaki
B-13: Suzuka
At least Suzuka is matched up against someone from a far less popular series. Suzuka has her own demeanor of cool in the series and while everyone else fights with high tech futuristic weapons, magic, spaceships with arms, and guns that fire magic bullets, Suzuka puts them all to shame with a wooden sword. She's also more competent than Gene at finding bounties. Having the same VA as Faye Valentine is also awesome.

B-14: Revy
B-15: Kenshiro
Mostly on the basis that when comedy series try to show that their characters have suddenly gone badass, they put Kenshiro's chest pattern on them (case in point: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi)

B-16: Celty Sturluson
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.

D

Group B-2
Kirika Yumura, Noir
vs.

Kirika
Reason: I’ve always been intrigued about the total body count in this series so the tournament has become an excuse to re-watch my favourite scenes all over again. Through the course of 26 episodes I’ve counted a definite 149 victims for Kirika. On top of that there are a further 30 that are killed by the Mireille / Kirika pairing but cannot be assigned with certainty to either individual. For the record Mireille accounts for 73 on her own and Chloe (in fewer episodes) 35. Assorted other Soldats members are responsible for a certifiable 73 (yes, the same as Mireille on her own). This is a grand body count of 360. In actual fact, somewhat more people die, as it is often difficult to tell how many mooks there are in some scenes. (Note: many scenes are replayed in Noir - I did not include any replayed deaths in my count.)

I pity the poor Paris police department.

On top of the various weapons used by Kirika as mentioned in the write-up you can add a pick and a sword. For further examples of Kirika awesome I recommend this page from tv tropes. For me, Kirika's "Crowning Moment of Awesome" is her gun battle with the triad force on the steps of the Chinese temple. You can count 38 triad grunts: two escape, Mireille lures three others away (what happens to them is never shown) and Chloe kills six. That means that Kirika accounts for 27 in a face-to-face shoot out on the steps.

To quote Mireille, "…I’ll acknowledge your skills too. Your ability to kill surpasses even mine. You are a splendid assassin, and… You are a disturbing enigma."

Group B-3
vs.

Captain Harlock

Group B-4
Ginko, Mushi-Shi
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Ginko

Group B-5
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.
Toshio Oozaki, Shiki

Toshio Ozaki

Group B-6
vs.

Balsa

Group B-7
vs.
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin

Kenshin

Group B-8
vs.

Oscar François de Jarjayes

Group B-9
vs.
Kyuzo, Ssamurai 7

Kyuzo

Group B-10
vs.

(The third first-round pairing of nominations of mine.)

Lady Eboshi
Reason: Unlike the previous two pairings from my nominations, this is a hard one for me to choose. It’s Sophia Forrester’s dignified cool versus Lady Eboshi’s strategic cool. I’m going with Lady Eboshi because she has arrived where she has through her own force of will whereas Sophia Forrester has largely inherited her reputation. For sure, Sophia repudiated her birthright when it conflicted with her principles but her “niceness” does undermine her “cool” somewhat.

Group B-11
vs.

Faye Valentine

Group B-12
Nana Osaki, NANA
vs.
Black, Tekkonkinkreet

Nana Osaki

Group B-13
Sawa, Kite
vs.
Suzuka, Outlaw Star

Coin toss: Suzuka

Group B-14
Revy, Black Lagoon
vs.
Maka Album, Soul Eater

Revy

Group B-15
vs.

Coin toss: Kenshiro

Group B-16
vs.
Amon, Witch Hunter Robin

Celty Sturluson.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 53