• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn's End of an Era Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Square makes good trailers and good cutscenes, but they're going to have to do better than make a pretty trailer after the absolutely horrendous debacle that was FFXIV.

I think they already have done better - what about the fact that they took an unplayable game, admitted it was unplayable, then replaced most of the dev team and turned the game around into something that was completely playable and likewise enjoyable? And now they're completing the transition by changing the game engine and UI so that it can be multi-platformed? The state of the current FFXIV shouldn't be judged solely on the mistake of its too-early launch, which was about two years ago now.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It has improved, certainly, but has it improved to the point it's a passable and viable MMO that is comparable in the current market? I'm honestly not convinced, and multi-platforming MMOs has not worked out well in the past, particularly for PC players who lose playability to make the game more playable on simpler platforms.

They certainly deserve some credit for improving things and fixing the problems, but the debacle that was the initial release can't exactly just be forgiven and forgotten either, and honestly nothing they've put out thus far has given me any indication that the re-release is going to really be that fantastic. A pretty trailer is just that, a pretty trailer that ultimately means nothing. It's an enticement and that's it, and anything to this point that has presented what can be viewed as the meat of the game as not exactly overwhelmed.

Of course, even if it does turn out to decent I'm done with MMOs at this point anyways. Since UO I have put time in the majority of MMOs that have been released, and even beta'd a number that were never released. In the end the treadmills and gear farming extravaganzas that they all inevitably become get old and there are far more rewarding options for multiplayer nowadays that don't rely on monthly fees or micro-transactions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Advent Children was well received, by nostalgic fans hungry for something more out of what was largely seen as the pinnacle of Final Fantasy greatness. Overall though the film was actually not that well received outside of the central fan circles, and to be a full on movie studio you're going to have to do better than that.

Why do they need to be a full movie studio? I assume you mean appeal outside video game fans, which seems odd. Video game movies should be aimed at video game fans, and if the average person doesn't like it it's not our problem. When you try to dumb something down and make it more 'accessible' to the mainstream, you get Uwe Boll's work or those Resident Evil/Silent Hill movies which barely have anything to do with the source material. Frankly, it's pretty nice you get companies like Square and Capcom put out anime/movies aimed specifically at fans based on their franchises and not trying to aim it at an entirely different demographic than what it should be aimed at.

Quote:
You're right, it's not, and he clearly wasn't talking about those, so stop trying to derail the discussion.

That's not derailing, it's merely correcting someone's error on what the most troubling MMO results are.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Plus, it's one thing to make a very high quality CG trailer, but quite another to make a feature film, and I would frankly place Blizzards skill in CG trailers and cutscenes easily above Square Enix in creativity and quality and impact.

As for the trailer, yeah, it's nice. But it's a trailer, it's supposed to look nice and it's supposed to make you want to play. If every game lived up to its trailer than we'd have an endless supply of A+ releases out there, but we don't. Square makes good trailers and good cutscenes, but they're going to have to do better than make a pretty trailer after the absolutely horrendous debacle that was FFXIV.

Really? You'd seriously consider Blizzard's plotless WoW intro higher tier than this? Or the various videos consisting of little more than a single character monologuing over a bland background? Or Pandaria's slapstick intro? I'll grant the Starcraft videos are great but they're of a different beast than this sort of video entirely, so I can't really count them.

But then again you seem pretty biased against FFXIV to begin with, what with going on about it being a "horrible debacle" and ignoring the fact it's come leaps and bounds since then and turned into something that's actually playable, along with how many "Most exciting / promising" upcoming game comments ARR is getting.

Why don't you actually look into what YoshiP and his team are doing for the game before you're all LOL THEY HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN A TRAILER. Because, uh. They are. And everyone's known it for months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Generalize much? Advent Children was barely any better than a Michael Bay film. It was just a bunch of cliche fansturbation scenes to cash in on a hungry fanbase. Instead of explosions and crashes you got flashy fight scenes and the obligatory monster battle; in the end everything that Michael Bay films are known for except catering to a different fanbase. When it comes to substances and story the film presented next to nothing.

See this is part of why I guess I am one of the maybe 5 people on Earth who PREFERRED Spirits Within to Advent Children. I would be willing to bet you money if they have taken out the "Final Fantasy" part of the title and left it as "Spirits Within" it probably would have done better in theaters. Too many fans saw the words Final Fantasy and expected a certain atmosphere and a certain product and they got something different. Many simply I think did not give Spirits Within a fair chance. By today's standards yes the CG in it is nothing special, but by the standards back then it was pretty damn nice. Especially for a full length movie. And the voice cast they got.....a who's who of good actors in my mind. Yes the story/plot did need help and could have been better I won't argue that. I still maintain the idea though that a lot of the hate came from fans who simply refused to give it a fair chance because they saw the words Final Fantasy in the title. Advent Children proves this theory to me because it is a giant fansturbation movie. There is nothing original about it. Every aspect of that movie is just a copy right from the game in essence. Sure the actual story is a continuation but every aspect of it is just a copy and simply nothing more than fan pandering. Now if it made them lots of money then kudos to SE, they were able to keep on milking the FF VII franchise and fans for more money. And the movie did look nice. I did enjoy watching it. However, heralding it as some masterpiece is just wrong. Especially when you do it and trample all over Spirit's Within in the process. At least it's wrong in my book.

As for this trailer, as has been said it damn well better look good. Any CG trailer for any game is supposed to look good. You're trying to get people invested in the product and willing to buy it. So of course you're going to turn up the volume so to speak with trailers. You want to get people hooked. MMO's and RPG's in general are notorious for doing this. As Keonyn said if every game, from any genre, lived up to their own hype and trailers we'd have a massively higher amount of A+ games out there. We don't have that now do we? I will say though this trailer is nice and with the goal being to try and suck people in and get them interested or invested in the game it does a good job I think. So as a trailer it does its job well. Really liked the music and song in it myself. Oh and btw lay off my Old Republic dammit lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2