• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q3-2013 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
Next character:

Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
And I don't understand why people try to be tricky by picking an image where one character is possessing another character, or one where two people have joined consciousnesses and are now known as something else. But I'm ok with shapeshifting...

I'm going to interject my two cents on that particular subject. Unless there is a visible and clearly defined difference between a character's appearance before and after a case of possession (or anything of a similar nature) then identifying the host character should be counted as a correct answer. The difference does not have to be something that leaps from the picture and bites you on the butt, however it should be something clearly visible that the poster can plainly point out as a differentiating feature.

For example: I post a picture of a teenage character who is obviously Nerine from Shuffle!. However the character in my picture has blue eyes, whereas Nerine's eyes are normally red. Since there is no teenage girl in Shuffle! who looks just like Nerine except for having blue eyes, that would qualify as a clear visible indicator that while the body may belong to Nerine the picture was taken while she was possessed by the spirit of her clone-sister Lycoris. If someone guesses "Nerine" I can call it a wrong answer and point to a precise reason why it is wrong that anyone looking at the picture could discern: the difference in eye color.

But if I post the exact same picture except that the character's eyes happen to be closed then there would be no visible difference. The only way someone could know whether the picture is of Nerine or Nerine-possessed-by-Lycoris would be to locate the correct episode and review it, quite possibly having to do so frame-by-frame, to determine the precise moment the screenshot was taken. And that, in my opinion, is utterly contrary to the spirit of the game. This is supposed to be the Character Guessing Game, not the Review Episodes Frame-By-Frame Game.

In short, I think the rule should be that for the purposes of this game "no clearly visible difference" is the same as "no difference".
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I would prefer to either:
1. ask people to not use possession/body sharing altogether or
2. very strictly construe "clear visible difference" so that details like eye color are not sufficiently clear.

I will use a picture I posted as example: {1} is spoiler[Yuu Kotari in the other world body] from Black Rock Shooter. {2} is spoiler[Strength in the other world body] from Black Rock Shooter.

Here are the visual differences:
1. {1} is always shown in black and white, with orange limited to her eyes and wounds. {2} is always shown in full color.
2. {1} has less details than {2}.

Applying the "clear visible differences" rule, one side would argue that there is no clear visible difference, because the visual difference is a stylistic one for the scene. The other side would argue that it's not only stylistic for the scene, because the other selves' appearance evolve as their personalities evolve; and even if it is only a stylistic difference for the scene, the difference is clear. Now what?

Similarly, if I post a picture of spoiler[Sia] from Shuffle with the facial expression of a seductress, those who watched the series would immediately think it's spoiler[Kikyou,] while those who have not watched the series would not be able to tell the difference from even the most minute examinations. Yet the facial expression change is much more obvious at a glance than eye color. Now what?

If we are to limit possession pictures, I suggest either
1. asking people to avoid them altogether or
2. making the requirements very harsh, e.g. where a person with no knowledge of the series would assume they are different characters with a glance, e.g. spoiler[Camyu and Musumi] from Utawarerunomo, spoiler[Sasami and Tsunami] from Tenchi Muyo.

Last edited by Raftina on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Raftina, I think you may have linked the same image twice.

Anyway, I'm fine with either allowing or disallowing characters possessing other people, or going with Furudanuki's suggestion. I do generally agree with Furudanuki's sentiment that having to find a specific scene isn't really what a character guessing game should be about, though at the same time I think tricky images are fine sometimes as long as they aren't used too often. I think if it is a significant spoiler that the character is being possessed or has switched bodies, then that is a good reason to avoid the image.

Here is a hint for the current image:

Hint 1: spoiler[This image is from the opening sequence of this anime.]
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Kirihime Natsuno from Dog & Scissors?]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ThisShadeOfCrimson wrote:
spoiler[Kirihime Natsuno from Dog & Scissors?]

That's correct.
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Next up:

ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hint 1: spoiler[He's the most gifted magic-user in the series.]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The hint is making me think it is spoiler[Seravi from Akazukin Chacha].
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That's indeed him (as a child).
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Next character:

ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Is that spoiler[Kyousuke Ishihara from Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan"?]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
ThisShadeOfCrimson wrote:
Is that spoiler[Kyousuke Ishihara from Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan"?]

Yes, that's correct.
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Let's try this one:

ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
Hint 1: spoiler[This character doesn't actually have piercings or dress like in the picture. The protagonist just imagined him this way after hearing that he was in a band.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 79