• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:
the only way she can defeat Esdeath is by some asspull: basically a technique we haven't seen before.

Again, I haven't read ANY of the source material or anything, so this is just conjecture, but it APPEARS that you are correct based only on the "next episode" preview which included a shot of Akame with some kinda markings on her body that we've never seen before. (at least as far as I can recall)

I thought every Imperial Arms had some sort of "ultimate technique" that was held in reserve until no other option. We just saw Tatsumi's. I don't think we ever saw Akane's.

Of course the same applies to Esdeath. As it is she rarely works up a sweat.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Actually, not working up a sweat is her Imperial Arms "ultimate technique."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I thought every Imperial Arms had some sort of "ultimate technique" that was held in reserve until no other option. We just saw Tatsumi's. I don't think we ever saw Akane's.

This is true. We have never seen Akame's special trump card move. If it comes out in the final episode, that would simply be fitting.
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Esdeath's trump card is freezing time.

Last edited by traveling on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
Esdeath's trump card is freezing time.

Oops you're right. I had forgotten about that -- unless there is a trump behind the trump.

My guess is that Esdeath is unbeatable, and the resolution will have more to do with her seeing her duty is to do something other than what the Minister wants.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
I'm finally caught up on this series and I have to say the end of episode 23 really surprised me. That was a pretty gutsy move. Im kind of torn between if i hope Tatsumi is still alive (which would be happier) or dead (more depressing, but it would fit with the story and I'd have to give the creators props for following through with it). Which means Night Raid is down to the three girls. Though I was actually expecting Najenda to have one last fight against Esdeath. Regardless this shows been a wild ride, one that I've really enjoyed. Looks like all that's left is the finale. I may check out the manga when yen press brings it out though.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24

And so the shit fest finally ends. I'm sorry but for some reason Akame ga Kill manages to bring my blood to a boil with all it's wasted opportunities and nonsensical storytelling. Every moment that COULD have been something special or interesting suffers from either not having proper build up or sloppy execution.

As an anime only viewer I can certainly see where the manga fans are coming from. If the anime was going to end on an original note it should have been doing original material from the beginning. But to tease fans that it was going to be a faithful adaptation only to throw an unsatisfying ending at them is worthy of spite.

First all let's break down what doesn't make sense here. The Prime Mister apparently has the spoiler[power to destroy imperial arms.] Heaven forbid he spoiler[give that to a capable solider who could then single handily defeat Night Raid members] they would come across. Let's just use it in case we get in a jam. THAT WILL SHOW THEM! Hell why didn't he just use it when spoiler[Tatsumi broke in?] Because it's his "trump card"? Why the hell would it matter if someone knew your trump card if you could immediately kill them moments later? Up until now the Mister has been cold and calculating (hell the anime goes to great lengths making him spout lines that make it obvious he killed the kids parents. WE GET IT HE'S EVIL!) but all of a sudden he turns into a moron. Classy. He even fails to simply spoiler[shoot Leone in the head and instead continues to shoot her in the chest] even though it was clearly not working.

But of course spoiler[Leone's body is just THAT tough that multiple bullet wounds are ineffective.]..........until like a day later. Hell evenspoiler[ her death] didn't make sense to me. spoiler[She had time to get patched up and treated.] In fact it's clear she somewhat did. But that spoiler["tough body" of hers ends up failing for some reason.] Maybe if spoiler[she hadn't been jumping around and unnecessarily moving her wounds wouldn't have opened back up.] Hell if spoiler[she had just rested it would have been within reason for her to survive.] But i guess that would make TOO MUCH sense. The writer neededspoiler[ everyone to die so he had to make sure they all did.] Even the captain has a shortened lifespan. Leaving only Akame to be left. Question is........why?

I don't even know why Akame is in the title of the show. This series has been about Tatsumi this entire time. Yet they shoved Akame's relevance into the mix at the last second. Honestly it's just another case of bad build up. Akame has been one of the least interesting characters in the show. Not to mention one of the least developed. So FINALLY dedicating something to her ridiculously stupid. They even had to ruin her fight with Kurumoe with that plot device Danger Beast. Can't be any worse than how they summed up Run's backstory in the span of 2 minutes I suppose. Speaking of him he somehow ended up being the most pointless of all the villains. He spouts about how he'll change the government from the inside yet complains when the the Revolution army is about to overthrow that very government that would have no doubt taken thousands of more innocent lives had they gone with "take it slow plan". I'm not sure why he of all peoplespoiler[ lived].

Not to mention that powerup. Holy shit did I cringe at that. They already established that even spoiler[Akame couldn't cut herself with the blade or she'd die.] Well fudge that shit lets use it to give her a spoiler[random powerup.] It doesn't even end up killing her. She just ends up perfectly fine. Stupid. Esdeathspoiler[ throwing her sword] made even less sense. Why the hell would spoiler[she throw it at an enemy who was clearly capable of dodging it?] Did the villains just swallow a jug of stupid in this final episode?

Esdeath x Tatsumi is ONCE AGAIN shoved down our throats one final time despite how underdeveloped their relationship is even at this point. I suppose it's supposed to be a poetic and heart warming way spoiler[to end things for both of them] but it ends up just being annoying and eye rolling inducing. A real shame since there was a lot of potential in that pairing.

Hell even the spoiler[portrayal of the empire getting taken over] by the revouution army made NO SENSE. I don't know what history books the writers have been looking in but any capital/government that is taken over from a powerful dictator/leader takes lots and LOTS of time to reform. That shit doesn't happen overnight. It's not a magical "Bam! Everyone is happy now!" spell you can cast. There is bound to be bad blood between people who opposed it as well the many people the Night Raid ended up killing to reach their goal. Hell I'm sure many people know the captain was the leader. So she's just going to spoiler[sweep this under the rug and blame their crimes on Akame?] Really? Even if she asked her too I don't comprehend that. As I said there bound to be people that are pissed but is EVERYONE going to turn on her despite the fact she spoiler[saved their lives and killed Esdeath?] Gah...........

Welp I suppose I'm done ranting at this show. This is easily the biggest disappointment that I've had in a show in a long time. The characters had potential. The story had potential. But it all went to waste. The series just ends up turning into a "under developed character gets killed" every episode near the end which completely ruined the arc that proceeded it. Shame since it was the best part of the series for me. The show never truly knew what it wanted to be. Shoving supposedly emotional moments, mixed with unfunny tone breaking comedy and some of the biggest logical leaps I've seen into a dysfunctional mess. I suppose it did accomplish it's goal as I now wish to read the manga just to see how much the anime screwed it over. As our apparently now main protagonist would say

Mission accomplished! Wink

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
battlephile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So glad this cluster****of a show is over.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Episode 24

And so the shit fest finally ends. I'm sorry but for some reason Akame ga Kill manages to bring my blood to a boil with all it's wasted opportunities and nonsensical storytelling. Every moment that COULD have been something special or interesting suffers from either not having proper build up or sloppy execution.

As an anime only viewer I can certainly see where the manga fans are coming from. If the anime was going to end on an original note it should have been doing original material from the beginning. But to tease fans that it was going to be a faithful adaptation only to throw an unsatisfying ending at them is worthy of spite.

First all let's break down what doesn't make sense here. The Prime Mister apparently has the spoiler[power to destroy imperial arms.] Heaven forbid he spoiler[give that to a capable solider who could then single handily defeat Night Raid members] they would come across. Let's just use it in case we get in a jam. THAT WILL SHOW THEM! Hell why didn't he just use it when spoiler[Tatsumi broke in?] Because it's his "trump card"? Why the hell would it matter if someone knew your trump card if you could immediately kill them moments later? Up until now the Mister has been cold and calculating (hell the anime goes to great lengths making him spout lines that make it obvious he killed the kids parents. WE GET IT HE'S EVIL!) but all of a sudden he turns into a moron. Classy. He even fails to simply spoiler[shoot Leone in the head and instead continues to shoot her in the chest] even though it was clearly not working.

I think he kept his spoiler[imperial arms] because it was only able to be used once. They didn't explicitly say that, but they showed it breaking when he used it so it was at least implied. I actually think it's gotten better since it stopped following the manga. The episode between Akame and Kurome was pretty well handled, and this was a good ending.

Akame ga Kill wasn't anything amazing, but it was still a decent show, at least in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tee2330

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
that's alot of hate comments to be honest I was paying more attention to this series then I am to the new fate/stay night, not that fate/stay night's bad, just that I was more invested and interested in this anime before it came out, and I am following the manga to, I must say I liked (not all the sad deaths) but the ending it had action feels and I was loving the series, so I give it an 8.4/10 extra points for the balls to kill off a main character, and if you hate this anime or have a problem with me liking it more then 70% of the other shows airing too bad options (feels like people post just to bitch about the anime it's [expletive] annoying to people who actually like it).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
They even had to ruin her fight with Kurumoe with that plot device Danger Beast.

Random Danger Beast seems to have gotten under a lot of people's skin, but it did have a point. It was to allow them one last time to fight together and show us how awesome they could have been if only. Still random, but I think it was worth doing and I don't know how else they could have gotten the same result in a more organic way.

Can't argue with any of the rest of your points, since they seem reasonable to me, but this never engaged me enough to care if it made any sense. The first few episodes took care of that, and though it definitely improved it wasn't enough to undo the damage for me.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Welp, leatherhead already beat me to a long wall of text regarding why this show is not good, but I won't let that deter me. Before I get into what I think of the show as a whole, I want to give my two cents on the last episode.

spoiler[Let's start with Akame's power-up, which makes no sense in context with rest of show. Akame cutting herself to activate her trump card is nonsense. Earlier in the series she claimed that polishing her blade was nerve-racking because the slightest mistake would kill her. Which means she had no idea that she didn't know it was her trump-card. In episode 24, she cuts her neck with all confidence in the world and received a power-up for it. Adaptation-induced inconsistency aside, where was this trump card before anyway? Given how there's no drawbacks, can't we assume it would be smart to have used this earlier, like during her battle with Kurome for example. As it is, it definitely feels like a plot-device power-up here.]

spoiler[There was also the matter of the way things wrapped up, like Leone's death, why didn't she try to save herself? She had hours between killing Onest and kicking it in some alley, why did she seek medical attention for those wounds to the gut? Cutting the Emperor Makoto's head off was rather ridiculous too, but hey, I don't think the middle ages had much of a youth penal code I guess. It would've been more satisfying to see Onest in that position instead, you know, the actual cause of all the corruption and misery, but seeing his face get smashed to a pulp was OK I guess. Also why is Akame being hunted down anyway? She helped liberate the goddamn country! Why aren't Wave and Run hunted down for supporting the comically evil regime that was just overthrown? Instead we get a final scene with two of them talking about how great Captain Esdeath was, y'know, the same sadistic lady responsible for deaths of thousands and who makes no qualms talking about how she loves torturing people. They even think she has a chance at Tatsumi on the "afterlife" and won't burn in hell for being the worst type of person imaginable, how cute.]
spoiler[
The idea of a revolution that White Fox tried to go for honestly should've been the aim of this show from the beginning. Instead, the anime adapted all the forgettable and pointless turf wars with comical goons until they decided to finally cobble together an actual plot. It just didn't work here since this anime has no idea what an actual revolution would take. Sure it's fiction, but c'mon, are you telling me the only actual power structure in the Capital was just some kid and his fat uncle and that killing them would solve every problem overnight? That's ridiculous! Anyone can write such a simplified story, and that leads into my problems with the rest of the series. That every thing is painted in such broad strokes, good and bad.The only in-between are characters like Wave and Run who seem like nice dudes, but ally themselves with an oppressive regime for arbitrary reasons. That's not good writing folks.]

As for the rest of this show, I can't say I'm impressed with it in the least. I don't mind "anyone can die" being a selling point, heck that's a good thing. Akame ga Kill went about it in the wrong way entirely. What I mean here is that with something like, say Gantz for example, you knew a lot of people were going to die in that series, but it did a great job with blindsiding you with said deaths. In Akame ga Kill, asides from a few characters in the beginning (to set the tone) and and some towards the end (Tatsumi especially), they all felt predictable and formulaic. This is a result of tossing in intrusive back-stories for characters right as their about to die. spoiler[I don't think I've ever felt so indifferent to a main character passing on as I have with Tatsumi (aka the blandest shounen hero archetype imaginable).] The plot itself was fairly linear and uninspired.spoiler[ No plot-twists (what you see in the first few episodes is all you get)], just kill the bad-guys and toss in a few more characters to fill body bags with later on.

I can't even say this show was a success as an adaptation. I have read the series and even if I was a fan of it, I would still be upset with how this adaptation turned out. Not really because of how it shifted from the manga's storyline (it was inevitable and I knew it would happen myself), the direction and production values were for the most part mediocre or bad (speedline central). It's a vapid, unfunny, and weakly directed piece of 3rd rate popcorn entertainment, and that's all as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure if this is as bad an action title as that shitfest that we humans call Tokyo ESP from earlier this year, but it's down there.

Last edited by gedata on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Episode 24

I think he kept his spoiler[imperial arms] because it was only able to be used once. They didn't explicitly say that, but they showed it breaking when he used it so it was at least implied. I actually think it's gotten better since it stopped following the manga. The episode between Akame and Kurome was pretty well handled, and this was a good ending.

But why once? We have yet to see an imperial arms yet that can only be used once or it destroys itself. And it's not like there aren't OTHER imperial arms that can destroy each other. Leone's transformation can literally BITE them apart. And I doubt she has the most powerful type in the world. Yet this guys can only destroy one puny imperial arms and it's then useless? To be honest I'd probably be more accepting of it if the show even went to a remotely decent length to explain the origin, tradition or heck any kind of background of the weapons other than just using them as a means to give people weird spontaneous powers and nothing else. Can you imagine how different Bleach would be if they never talked about the conception and different ways of achieving greater power with their weapons? I'd just be a bunch of muscular men swinging swords at each other (not that the show wasn't already reduced to that at points). Heck the only weapon I think we got decent background on were Luubuck and Esdeath's weapons.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
They even had to ruin her fight with Kurumoe with that plot device Danger Beast.

Random Danger Beast seems to have gotten under a lot of people's skin, but it did have a point. It was to allow them one last time to fight together and show us how awesome they could have been if only. Still random, but I think it was worth doing and I don't know how else they could have gotten the same result in a more organic way.

There is a simple answer to that. Don't do it. I don't believe that a writer should force a contrived situation just to get a desired result. That reeks of bad execution. And it destroys the the impact it supposed to have on the audience if they are privy to it. Yes it was supposed to show how cool a team they were but couldn't that have been just as well established in the flashbacks? Not to mention guess what the first TWO things the Danger Beast kills are? Kurome's best puppets. In the end it was not only a means of making the fight actually manageable for Akame but trying to make it more touching seeing them work together again. There was really no need to do that. They were able to talk together in the church and ended up having a nice conclusive battle due to Wave and Tatsumi getting involved. To me nothing changes if that Danger Beast didn't show up.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Onest even knew what his Imperial arms could do. It's not like anyone has ever used it before to test out it's power (since it would be broken by now)
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I liked it. C+ or 6.5/10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 30