• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignorecreate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the whole monogatari series again.I'm watching it again because its one of my favorite series.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Inuyashiki - I finish the series the other night on Amazon Prime and I only read the first two volumes of the manga. I really like the show, but I can admit that it could have been better.

I did like Ichirou Inuyashiki a lot as the main character because he was very likeable and it was nice to have a main character to be some old dude, not someone in High School o Middle School. You also have the main villain named "Shishigami Hiro". He is a pretty cool villain for the most part. I do felt like the show focus too much on him than the other characters. I really like the first few episodes the most because Ichirou's character is cool and likeable. Another issue with this anime is the supporting cast since most of them felt underdeveloped and could have a bigger focus.

In the first episode, Ichirou's family are pretty selfish and didn't really care about what was going on in his life. I do wish his family would have a bigger focus on the story. Not to mention we never got a background of the aliens or any other understanding of the how or why the two characters become cyborgs. The show also deals with themes like what it means to be human when becoming a machine, but never really executed the themes very well.

The animation is really good for the most part expect for the CG in some scenes. Some of it look really bad and lazy. I also really like the music in this anime and the intro theme was so much fun to listen too. The voice acting was good as well.

Overall, Inuyashiki is a fun show with a good main character, great action scenes and a pretty interesting villain. This show is not perfect, but I still really enjoy it. I do wish it was a 20 episode series instead since the manga is 10 volumes long and 11 episodes is not enough to adapt the manga. I will probably read the rest of the manga and will buy the show on Blu-Ray.

I will rate the show a 7/10 (Good). I do recommended the show for people who like Seinen anime or cyborg superhuman characters like 8 Man and Casshan.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 2 episodes of Code;Realize. This is the first time I've actually played the visual novel that the anime was based on. I figured they would have to change some things since there's A LOT of info dumping at points in the novel. However, I wasn't expecting spoiler[Fran to already be at the mansion by the time Cardia gets there and the Van Helsing encounter playing out differently. The Van Helsing bit had more tension in the game than the anime. Saint Germain's introduction also lost the mysteriousness that the game had. ] I do like how some of the game CG's were incorporated in the OP.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
@phia I am kinda interested in that.

I just got back from Mary and the Witch's Flower.

I CANNOT believe Miyazaki's name isn't attached to this film because YOU CANNOT EVEN TELL OTHERWISE.

Studio Ponoc is identical to Ghibli. Like just...........everything. The characters, the backgrounds, the fantastical creativity, the type of stories....it's all in there.

Well, the members of Ponoc DID work for Ghibli after all. But they certainly took the magic with them.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters - I saw the movie the other night on Netflix and I thought it was okay. I did like the story and I thought the animation was pretty good. The movie remind me of other anime such as Blue Gender and Attack on Titan. However the biggest issue with the movie for me was the human characters.

I felt no affection towards any of the characters and I found most of them to be boring. I feel like there is not much to say about this movie because it was pretty forgettable. Overall, it was not a bad movie and I would suggest to check it out if you are a Godzilla fan. I hope the sequels will be better. I give the movie a 6/10.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
God Pop Team Epic is so trolling. I can barely believe I am still watching it, this is a show that seems set on purposely annoying the audience. Even more kind of the fact, they actually had goddamn Norio Wakamoto in episode 3 voicing, that for all the roles he could be in, one of them is this show.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I have been in a Go Nagai mood again recently after watching Devilman Crybaby. I'm currently re-watching Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen and the show still holds up to me. I'm 6 episodes in and I still love it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
God Pop Team Epic is so trolling. I can barely believe I am still watching it, this is a show that seems set on purposely annoying the audience.

Lol I respect you, Dusk.........but I don't understand why people choose to watch this. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
God Pop Team Epic is so trolling. I can barely believe I am still watching it, this is a show that seems set on purposely annoying the audience.

Lol I respect you, Dusk.........but I don't understand why people choose to watch this. Anime hyper

Morbid curiosity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Consider the alternative. If this were to be a conventional comedy consisting of set-ups, punchlines and visual gags, we'd have a legitimate cause to be disappointed. With a franchise such as this, a barrage of structurally nonsensical anticlimaxes is not just expected but positively demanded.

(I recall this variety of absurd, privately nihilistic humour being popular in various Flash videos throughout the 2000s. This series is simply a continuation of the trend.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report

I have been suffering from a bout of depression that makes it so I don't have the motivation to do anything, not even the things I like. I haven't been able to do things like bake, draw, write, or even sing like I did a month or two ago. Said depression is also keeping me from watching the next episodes of Little Witch Academia and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I think Pop Team Epic is a start to getting me out of my funk (that, and anti-depressants).

I am a huge fan of the original webcomics, having read them on Tumblr long before the anime was announced. The best way to describe the strip is that it's absurdist/surrealist humor that leans heavily on the black side of the comedy scale (which is one reason I am disappointed Tsutomu Mizushima was not at the director's helm). Still, I enjoyed the first episode. Christopher Sabat and Ian Sinclair delivered the funniest performances, especially during the infamous "I am not upset" sketch. Kudos to them.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I have been suffering from a bout of depression that makes it so I don't have the motivation to do anything, not even the things I like.

You have my profound sympathy.....
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow as part of my project. it's about a pioneer family that settles in Adelaide in the 1830s, when the city was no more than surveyed streets and peg marks on the ground. I wouldn't recommend anyone watch it, especially given that, apart from the fansubbed first three episodes, the 50 episodes can only be watched with a French dub. I'm finding the French filtered, Japanese take on early nineteenth century Australia mildly entertaining, but I doubt people from elsewhere would share my interest in that way.

A notable feature is that Hayao Miyazaki wrote the script. ANN doesn't give him any other credit, nor does he share it with anyone else. As I've been watching the series - part of Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theatre - I've been wondering if I'd notice any signature Miyazaki moments. Well, it's taken 27 episodes but he finally drops a wonderful scene that is pure Miyazaki. So much so I wonder if he storyboarded it as well. It won't be from the original novel - by Melbourne author Phyllis Piddington and seemingly unobtainable even in Australia - because it has an essential plot error that no Australian would make.

It's a flying sequence, wouldn't you know, and a magical one at that. Part of its emotional impact comes from the events of the previous three episodes, but it's a treat on its own. Lucy-May has played a prank on her older brother Ben who is reading by the River Torrens, causing him to drop and lose the book, which is precious to him, in the river. In his frustration and rage he strikes Lucy-May across the face, which shocks both of them, (and, I might add, the viewer) as they are quite close as siblings. Both suffer considerable anxiety and guilt over the episode, leading to Lucy-May coming down with a serious fever. While she is bedridden he cuts some bamboo from the native forest (that's the error I mentioned - there is no bamboo on the Adelaide plains - the nearest possible bamboo is more than 2,000 km away) to make her a kite, which he leaves by her bedside. When her fever finally abates she notices the kite for the first time, then drifts into a dream of flying on the kite. It's one of those scenes you get in anime that transcends the material around it.

Here are some screenshots.

**Yay! First on page 1000**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
**Yay! First on page 1000**

I was wondering to whom that particular honor would go..... Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
And I think that the new series, Slow Start, has sort of have a slow start. With the recent 4th episode seemed to make me starting to like it much more. This came with the introduction of a new character, a college aged woman who has spoiler[had her own slow start in missing the start of when she should have been doing college, and fallen into a trap]. This has felt like a really good point of reference to the spoiler[situation with the heroine has had where she had an unplanned gap year for high school], as being something the audience might have an easier time identifying with. And was getting me invested like I hope it could continue going forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 999 of 1062