• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:26 am Reply with quote
Two recap episodes summarize the flashback arc + movie and the first season respectively. Both recap episodes come with a narrator and definitions of some of the key concepts and places featured thus far in this franchise. Beyond that, nothing new to see for those who've already watched everything from start to finish.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty solid recap episodes. Now everyone is ready for the new arc, only a bit of waiting left.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I spruced up the opener and added an Index. I was initially hesitant (not just for this, but for any other thread I didn't start), as I didn't want people to think someone else was reviewing and capping. But I think it's safe to assume nobody else around here goes to such extremes to promote stuff, so it should be obvious to the regulars who did all the work. It gets the site hits, though. Apparently, whoever keeps linking the discussion threads I make indexes for generates a lot of clicks. I asked the Staff if they could trace the traffic, but no one ever got back to me. The View count is currently at 2459 after almost three years of existence. Let's see how much it jumps, now that I've added the index.

I also came up with an idea to start grouping shounen titles' episodes by story arc, since there can be a lot of different breaking points. I figured this might make it easier for people to organize their binge-watching. I also started adding YouTube links to Opening and Ending songs to all the Indexes. I try to find the videos with lyrics, but sometimes they're not out there (yet).

With S2 still underway, I'll just keep posting screen caps. And whenever it ends, I'll try to retroactively review S1 and the movie. I'm probably in way over my head, again, stacking so much stuff on myself. But I think I can pick away at (some) of it (here and there). Plus, the production quality in this series is top-notch. It deserves screen capping.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Again, Tony K., really appreciate all the work you put into this site. The Series Discussion forum is my favourite forum so I love anything that picks it up.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:10 pm Reply with quote

At long last, the arc that everyone has been waiting for finally begins airing. An arc so long the unusual decision to use more than the usual 13 episodes for adaptation was taken with the remaining airtime spent on a rest week and two recaps. Now to see if it was worth the wait.

The new OP has very impressive visuals, along with a song which fits well with what's displayed. Too early to tell if there's anything significant in what's shown. As for the ED, much cleaner and simpler with a song to match.

The series has never been one to stick to convention. I don't remember many adaptations that start off with something as left-field and off-kilter as this episode. I don't know if the detail given to Itadori's choice of movie is more than a nod to the first season (which his best mate prior to dying was watching before he met Mahito) or some kind of cryptic self-parody. As if things couldn't be more different to the previous past arc episode which preceded it, viewers find out Itadori had an admirer from his previous school who has reunited with him by chance (and had a massive makeover to boot). One thing about Itadori that viewers love: he isn't bothered about external appearances and sees people differently, which is reflected in the way he interacts with others. Unlike Kugisaki and Fushiguro, it was almost a given that he'd recognise his former classmate straight away without any prompting and interact with her as if no time had passed since they last met. How much of a role the new character plays in the upcoming arc is up in the air, but I highly doubt it's going to play out in the conventional romance stereotype.

Then we have the second part of the episode which is much more conventional in linking back to events which transpired at the end of the first season adaptation. The traitor has been identified, motivations for betrayal have been explained and now the clean-up for the betrayal is in full swing. For an action set-piece, it's a quick setup and an easy lead-in for audiences starved of material to watch for over 3 weeks. I don't blame the traitor for what he asked for: anyone in that position would want to change even if the price for such a body was the ability to control puppets nationwide from any location remotely. I do not think he has a chance against Mahito though, despite his preparations the opponent he faces nearly killed Itadori and Nanase when he used his full toolkit. He also has limited reserves, while Mahito isn't bound by the same handicaps. He's already made clear his victory condition, so if he can somehow accomplish it posthumously it will still be his win. A pity he'll never have what he really wanted from forging that pact in the first place, although that was probably a battle he had lost without even starting since Gojou Satoru is involved.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
30:

I NEED MORE TODO.

WE NEED MORE TODO.

I love how the first part of the episode is where nothing really happens, and the second part is where shit really happens. Things just went from 1 to 100 in just one episode. I love it.

I don't think it will end well for Mechamaru.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, joy, ah, bliss. JJK is back. And not just any JJK but THE JJK I got introduced to with Yuji and the others. In-world present day. The humour is back. As bad as I felt for Aoi Todo that he would not be going out on missions with his "bruhzair" Yuji, I couldn't help but be amused watching his horrified reaction once the penny dropped. Ditto "wormo" and ditto Nobara's reaction to being asked if she had feelings for Yuji.

Then of course we learn why it's not a good idea to trust puppet masters, an important life lesson. So now we get to settle into a nice, long "real" JJK run and I couldn't be happier.

By the way, I tried to find the recap episodes on Crunchy and could not... am I just blind? Does anybody know if there is a source for legit English-subbed versions?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, I tried to find the recap episodes on Crunchy and could not... am I just blind? Does anybody know if there is a source for legit English-subbed versions?

They put them on their YouTube channel a few days ago, but it seems like they made the videos Private, now. Not sure if it's just a weird maintenance window for technical issues or what. Maybe they'll pop back up, later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Tony K. At least that gives me a source to check periodically that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nice to have the original gang back. I like that we had a bit of calm time to enjoy some humor and fun before shit once again hits the fan (even a bit of possible romance). As for the puppet master, I get why he did what he did, but the chance of him surviving does not seem very high to me at all.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 30 (S02E06): It's Like That

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote

The animators don't waste time. After the introductory episode to this arc, we finish up the battle between Mechamaru and Mahito, and then it's straight on to the main event. A lot of the first season, the movie and the flashback arc has been leading up to this, now to see what Geto and company have been planning for all of season one and before.

I'm not surprised at the duel's outcome: Mechamaru put up a good fight but he was never going to win once Mahito decided to deploy his domain. Even with the domain counter as his ace in the hole, failure to properly confirm Mahito's destruction was always going to be a fatal mistake. It looks like he even had some energy remaining when his masterpiece was destroyed, so he probably should have gone all out once he knew some of his attacks were able to actually cause harm to Mahito. With his death, there's no way Gojou and the others would have known what was to come, hence Geto's plan proceeds without any interference.

Typical Geto with his customised veil trapping all of his detested monkeys but letting the gifted to pass in and out unhindered. The gauntlet has been laid down: all the initiative is with Geto and his cohorts and his targets are playing defence from the get go. We already know from the flashback arc that Gojou Satoru can be defeated provided a detailed plan is combined with powerful artifacts and sorcerers who can execute it to perfection, will we see a repeat of this in this arc? Back in the first season, Geto kept talking about "sealing" Gojou Satoru rather than defeating him, so if that's the end goal then killing him like Megumi's father did won't be required and a different approach will likely be adopted.

At any rate, the main target has arrived and the show is about to begin. We are not told who exactly is prompting the civilians to call out for Gojou Satoru, only hints about powerful enemies in the underground. It's a long arc, so plenty of twists and turns to be had with lots of visual entertainment in store.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, he was a traitor and the outcome was anything but surprising, but it was still a pity to see the puppet master go down. As for the plan to take down Gojou, I honestly think he is just too powerful to be taken down. If it was the Gojou before his spanking at the hands of Touji and starting to improve himself to ludicrous heights, I could see it.....but not as he is now.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
31:

MAPPA pulling no punches with Mechamaru VS Mahito.

The Shibuya Incident is finally here, oh boy!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 31: Evening Festival

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14