• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote

So part one of the great plan to defeat or entrap Gojou Satoru involves sealing off his abilities by creating an environment where the odds are heavily stacked against him. Getou being who he is has full knowledge of what his old ally was capable of and has instructed his lackeys to fight accordingly in order to buy time. Gojou Satoru might be better prepared than he was back in his High School days, but he is again going in blind against a fully prepared opponent who has had time and resources to implement the appropriate measures against his abilities. So what's going to win out, natural talent or dedicated hard work combined with tenacity?

For the undercard, we have Itadori Yuji in action for the first time in this adaptation. His opponent is a caricature, but a dangerous one nonetheless. Locust plagues are still a bane of humankind's existence even today, and having this one first up certainly induces nausea. Fortunately humans have developed tools to mitigate the impact of locusts and locust swarms, and Itadori is no exception. He didn't have to use anything beyond his sorcery-empowered fists which he became proficient with at the end of season one. It's still impressive seeing two beat four in a straight up slugfest which suits Itadori to a T.

Not sure what the deal is with Ui Ui and Mei, but the former is slavishly devoted to the latter to an unhealthy degree. Itadori being who he is doesn't mind too much, so long as they don't waste too much of his time. Ui Ui appears to be manual labour for Mei who can't be bothered to haul that enormous axe around for longer than necessary, but what's he capable of if he's also First-grade like the other two?
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:45 am Reply with quote
I tried some show I was only vaguely aware of, called Jujustu Kaisen. And ended up binging Season 1 in four days, the film the following day, and the first chapter of season 2 the day after that.

Thoughts? Naruto, but better. As in, a shameless rip-off on Konoha's finest. But superior in everywhere that matters, so who cares. No really, better characters, tighter writing, better humour, better set pieces, better production, etc. Can kind of see why it's been doing so well.

And yes, I have been living under a rock these last few years.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
Having recently watched the recap episodes for season 1, JJK 0 and the 5 episode arc that began season 2, I decided to start rewatching all of season 1. The episodes are going down nice and smooth. At this rate, I expect I'll have rewatched all of season 1 by the time the next episode rolls around. This is definitely going to heighten my enjoyment of The Shibuya Incident.

Barciad wrote:
I tried some show I was only vaguely aware of, called Jujustu Kaisen. And ended up binging Season 1 in four days, the film the following day, and the first chapter of season 2 the day after that.

Not surprised you were able to whip through the franchise so quickly - it is that good. I can't comment on the Naruto comparison as I have not seen Naruto. I'm in the middle of rewatching season 1 and I actually find it even more enjoyable because I'm able to marathon (i.e. don't have to wait week to week) and don't have to struggle to understand new concepts. Anyway, welcome to JJK!
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
It's that sweet spot of accessibility and tight writing. It knows that success, true success, doesn't come from shlock or gimmicks. It comes from having the awareness that there is no alternative to putting in the work. And the willpower to get it done.

The time and the effort that has gone into this show is astonishing. It is as a wise man once said, 'it takes a lot of care to appear carefree'.

EDIT: Finally caught up. Just want to say one last thing. How nice it is to watch something that is both populist, and of high quality.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Original started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 32: The Shibuya Incident

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:44 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that this show does an amazing job with the slow build - patiently and methodically building character backgrounds and settings while providing plenty of shocking developments and crazy action sequences to keep things lively.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 33

So we finally find out who the real "brains" of the operation is. Heh. I don't think it's any surprise that it turns out that Suguru Geto really is dead. The end of JJK 0 strongly suggested that. But up until now, we didn't know what really had happened. Turns out a cursed spirit scooped out Geto's original (dead) brain and made itself at home in his cranium.

Anyway, Gojo is now sealed away in the Prison Realm which isn't going to make things pleasant for our other jujutsu sorcerer heroes. At least he took out Hanami before that. Actually, of all the baddies, I liked Hanami the most because at least "she" had a reasonable rationale for wanting to get rid of humans: she's was an ardent environmentalist and getting rid of us would indisputably be a boon for the health of the planet.

As threatened, I was able to rewatch all 24 episodes of Season 1 and even found time to rewatch episodes 6-8 of this season as well. By next week, I'll have rewatched the first five episodes of season 2 and JJK 0 (even though I just re-watched it a few months back). Then I'll truly feel that I have all of the JJK anime adaptation right at my mental fingertips which will undoubtly enchance watching the rest of season 2.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Well played (Fake) Getou Suguru. You've executed your plan and only lost one of your subordinates to Gojou in the fight which preceded it. Not sure who or what the Fake is, but the adaptation is a long one and we should have plenty of time to find out as the episodes continue to air.

It wasn't a perfect execution, since Hanami failed to follow instructions and paid the ultimate price for it. A small victory for the good guys, but it's a huge loss for them now that Gojou Satoru is out of the picture for possibly the entirety of the adaptation. All hope is not lost though; it appears Mechamaru somehow managed to contact Itadori posthumously and can at the very least give the good guys badly needed information on what's really going on.

There's a good reason the movie aired after season one, and now we find out why. Unfortunately, Okkotsu Yuuta's last known whereabouts were overseas so unless Gojou expected something like this to happen and recalled him before this incident, it will take time for Okkotsu to rejoin the scene. On top of that, he no longer has Rikka so his power level compared to the movie is much reduced, which (Fake) Getou has rightly pointed out. His bloodline still makes him a dangerous foe to underestimate, so the question is how big a role will he play when he is no longer the protagonist for the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:32 am Reply with quote
I meant to mention this earlier but forgot: I'm not 100% convinced Mechmaru is dead. He may be, but if you watch his "death" scene, it seems a bit ambiguous. Again, time will tell.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I meant to mention this earlier but forgot: I'm not 100% convinced Mechmaru is dead. He may be, but if you watch his "death" scene, it seems a bit ambiguous. Again, time will tell.

From episode #7

俺の勝利条件は五条悟だ。どんな手段でもいい、五条悟と連絡を取り、渋谷の計画を伝える。そして保護してもらう。

It is very clear Mechamaru DID NOT attain his victory objective, which appears to have been forgotten by many viewers in the battle which followed. Gojou Satoru does not recognise he is the target for sealing, rather than extermination. No one in the sorcerer reinforcements had any idea what was going on and everyone was completely reactive to what was being thrown at them. Had they known in advance that Gojou Satoru was the target for sealing (which Mechamaru was aware of in the short conversation at the end of episode #6), they would not have sent Gojou Satoru alone with no backup (personnel or items) to prevent his sealing.

I do not know by what means Mechmaru has contacted Itadori Yuuji, but he's not doing it while he's still alive. As the puppet master, leaving some kind of pre-recorded message to be played back when the right person can be reached is the only way I could conceive of him conveying his intelligence, which is not completely worthless despite how late it is. Given that days or weeks have passed since the Mechamaru duel, he would have had ample opportunities to do so earlier if he was playing dead. Next week should confirm this, as I do not expect Mechamaru to make a reappearance in the flesh in this adaptation except in flashbacks (if any).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin - you very well could be right. It is eminently plausible that Mechamaru has managed to make contact with Itadori via some pre-arranged means. That makes sense with his puppet master technique. My own suspicion that he may - and I super stress *may* - not be dead is the show did not explicitly show his corpse. A show about jujutsu sorcerers gives a fair amount of creative wiggle room if it was desired to suggest somebody is dead and then pull an "aha!" moment later on. Having said all that, I reiterate to my fellow Mechamaru fans that my faint hope for his survival may not be well-founded.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:53 pm Reply with quote
33:

Clearly the best JJK episode so far. MAPPA wasn't pulling any punches with this episode. Couldn't have made it better. Masterpiece. I know that a lot of people are fans of JJK mostly for Gojo, but I gotta admit: Gojo losing his marbles is exhilarating to watch.

Side note: I get deja vu vibes from the episode strangely from Invincible, especially with the whole: spoiler[mincing everyone into pulp in the train station.]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 33: Shibyua Incident - Gate, Open

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:26 am Reply with quote
Gojo really is a character that has an amazing ability and the talent to properly use said ability, but man does he get high on his own supply. The series has shown several times that even the strongest in the world can be defeated, especially when that person just assumes that he can handle anything and that nothing can touch him. It also means that without Gojo in the picture they have lost almost all ability to pull out a victory.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 34

Sadly, my hope that Mechmaru was not actually dead has been dashed. However, in compensation, he continues to be a presence albeit possibly for not very long. I confess that I have lost track of the significance of the four different veils and what they are supposed to accomplish along with what the strategy of the bad guys is (beyond successfully sealing Gojo... sort of...) and what the strategy for the good guys is. I find I need to watch JJK episodes at least twice before that stuff truly sinks in.

Man, that was a brutal handling of Ijichi... I wonder if he's dead? Also noteworthy was the fact that two of the "old" Suguru Geto's female acolytes are clearly not down with Brainiac continuing to use his remains as a meat puppet. I suspect this will work against the Baddies in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14