• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hrm, I didn't really have an issue with the sibling thing or whatever... I think siblings shouldn't have kids because of the genetic issues that it can cause, but aside from that you can't really help who you fall in love with..

I have an issue with how young Nanoka is.. I think if I were Koushiro I could hold back knowing that if she is 15, it's entirely possible that by 18 (with teenagers tumultuous hearts the way they are) she might come to hate Koushiro for allowing them to become involved... I'd be more worried about her future and doing what's right by her than of her pre-mature, adolescent feelings of love.

At the same time it's easy to say that, but if the person you loved more than anything in the world was giving themselves to you, regardless of who it is I think you would have a hard time saying no and absolutely crushing their feelings (spoiler[as he would have if he had lied and told Nanoka that he was going out with the work chick]).

I have a question for you all to ponder though. If you saw something like this on tv or in a newspaper in a real life scenario, would you turn head and frown upon it, or would you be as forgiving as you are to the characters in this series? Before you answer, consider that in the anime, you watched the whole affair unfold, saw all the emotions and anxiety attached and that their feelings overcame the difficulties and the social awkwardness. If you didn't see all that but instead just saw an article on two complete strangers to you, would you be so accepting? Especially if the news article or whatever put it in a bad light (as it undoubtably would)..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't interfere in other people's lives or relationships so I'd probabally just shrug it off as being none of my bussiness.
Bayani534

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
I Recently watched Koi kaze and there is something I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

Everyone takes issue with the incestuous nature of central relationship, both characters in the anime and seemingly people who have seen it.

Love between a brother and sister is of course the focal point of the series and I appreciate that but given the fact that Nanoka is supposed to be 15 would that not also make her 27 year old brother a paedophile? This is something that I haven't heard brought up and when the siblings meet Kaname encourages Koshiro to date Nanoka, a minor. I have heard of friendships between teenage girls and businessmen and things such as compensated dating but I was hoping someone could tell me if Nanoka's status as a minor is less of an issue in Japan, if it is just a cultural difference.

Help would be appreciated.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
Kaname's encouragement of Koshiro taking Nanoka to the park in the first episode was something I found confusing as well. I think she just wanted him to have some girl to go with to take his mind off of being dumped, and not that a relationship would actually start to develop.

I believe that Japan's age of consent is 16, and even that came late compared to other developed countries. I've occasionally seen comments about how culturally Japan places more of an emphasis on innocence, cuteness, and youth in its aesthetic of beauty than, say, the U.S., but don't quote me on it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Bayani534 wrote:
Love between a brother and sister is of course the focal point of the series and I appreciate that but given the fact that Nanoka is supposed to be 15 would that not also make her 27 year old brother a paedophile?

The word ephebophilia may be applicable here, but I fathom this term, along with paedophilia, is a little strong. By the definitions of these words commonly adhered to, they denote a preference for those of particular age groups. One could argue that in the case of Koi Kaze, Koushiro acted through an initially-fleeting urge as opposed to an established preference. Of course, the contrary could also be argued, spoiler[as he ultimately seems to embrace his feelings for Nanoka].
I would conclude that Koushiro is a person who has experienced ephebophilic thoughts, but perhaps not an ephebophile outright: spoiler[Aside the single 'taboo scene', any discernibly sexual elements of his relationship to her are not explored. In fact, he clearly and immediately abhors his moment of weakness.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
As i noted in an older thread, here, the passage of time is not as obvious as it was in the manga. As i said in that thread, i did not read it myself, but the information was from the Japanese released manga.

It adds a little more weight to a troubled and often difficult relationship and circumstance that the two in the story go through. The age and amount of time that passed with each character having those types of feelings carries a bit more punch when you find out it was over a course of several years, and not the space of one year or less as the anime is not very clear on that.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
For me, it boils down to this: they can either be miserable separately, or miserable together. It's kind of a lose-lose situation, so I have to accept their choice, being a believer in true love and all that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8